Author Topic: 1841 census lookup - William Davies  (Read 859 times)

Offline pd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1841 census lookup - William Davies
« on: Tuesday 19 September 06 01:57 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm looking for William Davies b 1813 ish in Llanelly, Carmarthenshire.
His father was Griffith Davies whose occupation in 1846 was listed as Labourer.

William married Martha Isaac in Swansea in 1846 and was living in High St, Swansea, which is why the request is for Glamorgan. He may still be in Carmarthenshire in 1841.

Occupations of William
1846 - Labourer
1851 - Shipmaker
1861 - Labourer
1871 - Dock Labourer
died before 1881

regards
Patricia

Beeson, Booth, Brelisford, Clarke, Crawford, Cunningham, Davies, Fraser, Gould, Howl, Hodgetts, Humphrys, Isaac, Johnson, Jones, Kerr, McLeod, Newell, Newman, Rourke, Roxburgh, Stanyard, Stewart, Tresedder, White, Woolls
Census information is Crown copyright, from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census lookup - William Davies
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 September 06 20:26 BST (UK) »
nothing that I'd guarantee, but these are the only ones that look at all likely.
Jockey St, Swansea HO107/1426/7 folio 38 pg 17
Martha Davies 45
William 30
both not born in county

Wind St, Swansea HO107/1426/1 folio 37 pg 22
William Davi(e)s 23 traveller
not born in county - name not entirely clear and I did wonder if traveller meant he was just passing through, but there's another one a few houses away, so possibly it means salesman of some sort.

I had a look at Llanelli as well, but the only Williams of about the right age appeared to be married. With no relationships given, no places of birth, usually only occupation for head of household and ages rounded down, it's very difficult to spot someone with a common name. Again in Swansea, there's a better fit for age but that William looks to be married and I assumed you'd have said if the cert had widower for William.

If you want to check where these streets are, go to Mulitmap.com and for Wind Street try postcode SA1 1DE - it's the continuation of High Street, other side of Castle Street.
For Jockey St, use postcode SA1 1NS and you'll see it's no distance at all from High Street and could have been longer before the railway line was built - High St station opened 1850.

Nothing concrete I'm afraid, but they're in the right area.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline pd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census lookup - William Davies
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 03:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Osprey
Thanks for the information.

I knew William would be a hard one to chase up.

You are quite right in assuming that William was a bachelor when he married (as is stated on his marriage certificate).

It could have been either of them. My  William did have  Jockey St for his address on the 1871 census.

It's becoming a dead end for William, I though that the information from his marriage certificate would  help but really all its given me is the name of his father, Griffith. I can't find anything on the IGI for William or Griffith.

Many thanks again for your searching.

regards
Patricia
Beeson, Booth, Brelisford, Clarke, Crawford, Cunningham, Davies, Fraser, Gould, Howl, Hodgetts, Humphrys, Isaac, Johnson, Jones, Kerr, McLeod, Newell, Newman, Rourke, Roxburgh, Stanyard, Stewart, Tresedder, White, Woolls
Census information is Crown copyright, from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/