Author Topic: Translation of archive entry and general help  (Read 1721 times)

Offline Allybee1062

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Translation of archive entry and general help
« on: Tuesday 19 September 06 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

One of my ancestors - John CADWALLADER emigrated to South Africa sometime between 1851 and 1857.  He is on the English 1851 census living in Birmingham and I know he married a South African girl named Evalina Rebecca BUDGE on the 10th Nov 1857 in Cape Town.  I got this marriage date from my mother but she can't remember where she got the date from.  Evalina BUDGE was born about 1830 in Simons Town.  They had two children that I'm aware of, Olivia Marian CADWALLADER born 1859 and Rose Florence CADWALLADER born about 1863.  John CADWALLADER died about 1873 in Cape Town and Evalina died 8th Sept 1902 at Haba Ncho (sp?), Cape Town.  All this information is passed down from my mother who has no recollection where she got this information from.

I looked up the name CADWALLADER on the SA archives website and found the following entry:

DEPOT     VAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MHG                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 0                                                                     
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE B3018                                                                 
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          REID, EVELINA REBECCA NOOIENSVAN BUDGE EGGENOTE JOHN CADWALLADER     
           WILLIAM REID.                                                       
STARTING  19020000                                                             
ENDING    19020000       

Can someone please translate for me what the above means?   I'm presuming that she remarried someone named William Reid?  I'm not even sure what this entry is relating too.  It's dated 1902 so possibly something about her death?

I have no idea exactly when John CADWALLADER arrived in South Africa but would love to find out some more information about him.  I have the following entry from a diary that John's sister-in-law kept on her voyage to Australia in 1859.  It may be of interest to those of you who are familiar with Cape Town.  It may also give some clues as to where John lived or what/where his shop business in Cape Town was.

"Diary of the passage from Bristol to Melbourne on Board Auxilliary Screw Steamer “ROYAL BRIDE” (982 tons burthen).  Alexander Newlands Commander.  Ship steaming about 7 knots.

Sunday 24th October, 1859

All excitement now on board.  Many of the passengers going on shore.  The Cape appears, at the distance, a pretty, quiet little village at foot of very high mountains and the sea in front off the houses, generally one or two storeys high, at night about 8 o’clock the streets were lighted up.  Did not look like a foreign land, could scarcely think it is Africa.

November 1st.  Since I last wrote have been on shore.  John Cadwallader came on board on October 25th to fetch us to his home at Cape Town.  The day far too rough for me to venture.  William went with his Uncle John to his home at Cape Town.  They were nearly 3 hours crossing the water about 3 miles. Tacking about expecting to be lost.  On Tuesday the sea being more calm I went across in a small boat with Arthur and Sidney.  Willie having gone the day before with his Uncle.  Had a pleasant row across the water to Cape Town.  Surprised to find I so large and so pretty with a long Cab Stand as on New Street at home – and dozens of bullocks drawing casks of wine made from the grapes that grow plentiful at the Cape.  Called at the shop for John, the shop being the first in appearance at the Cape, something like Boultons at home.

John has an excellent situation there.  He then went forth with us to his home which is about a mile in the country.  A very gentle English like home and a very amiable young lady his wife and one little girl 3 months old.  He with his dear wife gave us a hearty welcome.  He stayed from business.  John and his amiable wife accompanied us to the Botanic Gardens and did all they could to make us welcome and entertain us.  We all slept at their hospitable home and next day Brother John accompanied us in the small boat back again to the “Rolling” Bride with our spirits broken again at parting to sail again 5000 miles....."

"Willie"  referred to in the diary is my Great Great Grandfather, William CADWALLADER.

Sorry for the length of this post.  If anyone can help me out or point me in the right direction to find out more about John CADWALLADER I'd be very grateful.

Alison

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BAKER, TILLETT, SMITH, THEOBALD, ANDREWS, NAUNTON, UNDERWOOD - Suffolk
LISH, HARMAN, HARLAND, LELLIOTT, WOOLGAR, WOOLVEN, FAIRS - Sussex
McGEE/MAGEE, LISH, WITHERS, PITMAN - London
WITHERS - London, Gloucestershire
PITMAN - London, Kent
ATTRILL, BOURNE - Isle of Wight
CADWALLADER - Wales
KNIGHT - Northamptonshire
O'LEARY - Ireland
BEGGS, BANDEAN, BROWN, SCOTT, DEWAR, RICHARDSON, RAMSAY - Scotland

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Translation of archive entry and general help
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 September 06 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison,

I'm afraid I can only help a tiny bit! In the description the word "nooiensvan" means "maiden name" and "eggenote" means "wife".  So the description reads

"Reid, Evelina Rebecca maiden name Budge wife of John Cadwallader [and??] William Reid".

Unfortunately I have no familiarity with the South African archive system - it might well be worth e-mailing the archivist through the website and asking them to decode the rest of it for you.  You never know, they might even be prepared to send you a copy of the record...

How lovely to have the diary entry.

Good luck and keep us posted :)

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 September 06 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
This was for her death in 1902, probably in Thabo Nchu which is near Bloemfontein in the Free State - a thousand odd kilometers from Cape Town.
The VAB stands for the Free State Archives mhg is the ref for the death notice which would list her children etc. You could email the archives for details- they may take time to reply.
ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Allybee1062

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 01:07 BST (UK) »
Thankyou both.  I'll email the archives.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BAKER, TILLETT, SMITH, THEOBALD, ANDREWS, NAUNTON, UNDERWOOD - Suffolk
LISH, HARMAN, HARLAND, LELLIOTT, WOOLGAR, WOOLVEN, FAIRS - Sussex
McGEE/MAGEE, LISH, WITHERS, PITMAN - London
WITHERS - London, Gloucestershire
PITMAN - London, Kent
ATTRILL, BOURNE - Isle of Wight
CADWALLADER - Wales
KNIGHT - Northamptonshire
O'LEARY - Ireland
BEGGS, BANDEAN, BROWN, SCOTT, DEWAR, RICHARDSON, RAMSAY - Scotland

Offline Mole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 December 06 04:21 GMT (UK) »
About the reference you found (which is to a deceased estate file and would contain the Death Notice, an informative document), you may have to wait some time before getting a response from the Free State Archives  :(  if you have already heard from them, all well and good; if not you might want to consider contacting a private researcher who works regularly in Bloemfontein and who would take digital photos of the file contents and send them to you by e-mail.
Should you want the contact address send me a private message, or reach me via my web pages, URL below.

You mention Evalina Budge born in Simons Town ca 1830: this is quite early, but there were two Anglican churches in Simons Town - one of them, St Francis Church, has baptisms dating from about 1813. It may be worth checking with the Cullen Library at Wits University, who hold many Anglican Registers - contact the librarian at  Archibald.C@Library.wits.ac.za  and ask for a search; they are very helpful, no charge.

It would be difficult to pinpoint CADWALLADER's arrival in SA especially if he came in as an independent traveller and not with an organised emigration scheme. I checked the lists in Esme Bull's 'Aided Emigration to the Cape' but no Cadwalladers.

Regards
Mole
www.genealogyworld.net

All South Africa but especially Natal colonial era.<br />GADSDEN and variants worldwide, any date, any place; large database.<br />Medieval GADDESDEN and GATESDEN<br />HAMILTON (Ayrshire)<br />BELL (Cumberland - Solway Firth area)