Author Topic: Henry Charteris/Annie Moore in Kent or Armagh-1858/59  (Read 6264 times)

Offline AngelaCharteris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Me
    • View Profile
Henry Charteris/Annie Moore in Kent or Armagh-1858/59
« on: Tuesday 19 September 06 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am looking for any information regarding the birth records of my great grand father "HENRY VANE CHARTERIS" or his wife Annie Moore. He was born 1858/59 New Brompton, Chatham, Kent, England. She was born 26th Feb 1862 in Armagh to Charles Moore & "Anne". They married 14th Feb 1882 at St Marks, Co Armagh, Armagh, Ireland.

I have since found out that where Henry was born, is a Naval/Marine/Army base now known as Gillingham. I have been searching for over 10 years  for any information on his birth/parents/siblings with no success. I have his complete Military history records from enlistment to when he left the military service but they don't say who his parents are. I cannot find his birth records anywhere, despite extensive seaches. Can anyone help me please???

He married Annie Moore who was from Armagh, Ireland. I have searched the Medway records, 1837online, St Catherines house index with no success.

I have enclosed 2 photographs of them as well as a family photo taken just befor they imigrated to Western Australia abt 1908/1909. I hope someone can help me.

Thank you so much, Angela Charteris

Image Resized
I am mainly looking for any information on my great grandparents Heny Vayne/Vane Charteris 1858/59 New Brompton, Chatham, Kent England Wife Annie Moore 1862 Armagh Ireland. Married 14th Feb 1882 Armagh Ireland.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Charteris/Annie Moore in Kent or Armagh-1858/59
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 September 06 17:54 BST (UK) »
Can anybody help Angela locate or guide her on how to obtain a marriage certificate for (according to the army records) Henry CHARTERIS and Annie MOORE married 14 Feb 1882 St Marks, Armagh ???

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Anthony

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 January 07 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela. don't know if this is of any help to you.

Armagh 1852

Ann Moore Groces English St.
James Moore wine & spirit dealer Market St.
A, Moore publican Barrack St.
Robert Moore hosier Scotch St.

Anthony

Offline AngelaCharteris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 January 07 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Anthony, thank you so much for taking the time to come in & help me. It is so much appreciated. Thanks Angela
I am mainly looking for any information on my great grandparents Heny Vayne/Vane Charteris 1858/59 New Brompton, Chatham, Kent England Wife Annie Moore 1862 Armagh Ireland. Married 14th Feb 1882 Armagh Ireland.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 March 07 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Can anybody help Angela locate or guide her on how to obtain a marriage certificate for (according to the army records) Henry CHARTERIS and Annie MOORE married 14 Feb 1882 St Marks, Armagh ???

Casalguidi

Hi Angela,

I found your couple's marriage entry--indeed, they were married on 14th Feb 1882--here's information:

Henry Vane Chartris married to Annie Moore in Armargh Church of Ireland in the parish of Armagh in Armagh, Co Armagh, Ireland.

You can apply to the Irish GRO for a photocopy of their marriage entry using this information for only 6 euros. When you get their entry, it will tell you who their fathers are.

Then you can trace their birth entries.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 March 07 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela,

The birth year you have on your Annie Moore is before the Birth Registration started in Ireland. Registration was only started in 1864.

I would advise you to get this couple's marriage entry first in order to find out their fathers. From the Irish GRO.

You can look up in the England & Wales GRO indexes on your Henry Vane Chartris and any varients on the surname as you can get his birth entry.

I can only find a Annie Murray with the father of Charles but no Annie as a mother but it was in 1868. In Co Armagh.

Good luck,

Tees

Offline AngelaCharteris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 March 07 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tees, I have about all but given up on finding any records of my great grand fathers birth records  :'( I have tried to apply for thier marriage certificate several times but am having a hard time every time I ring Ireland to find out who I actually apply for the certificate too. Any advise on what to do next??? Thanks for the help, Angela Charteris

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 March 07 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela,

I do empathise with you and your frustration in finding your Irish ancestors in the records. You are not the only one who have this problem.  ;D

Let's start with getting you the marriage certificate--You have two options--1) Applying to the Irish GRO by post and request a photocopy of the entry for only 6 euros (this will be about 3 to 4 weeks' wait OR 2) Applying to the Northern Irish GRO by post or online and get a certified copy for a bit over 10 pounds and you will get it in the post within 10 days from the receipt of the payment. If you want this method, I would recommend that you get a reference number then it will only cost you 5 or 6 pounds.

I would go with the option#1 as you only need a photocopy unless you need a certified one for the governmental purpose.

Here are two websites where you can get the marriage certificate from:

1) http://www.groireland.ie/ (Ireland)

2) http://www.groni.gov.uk/ (Northern Ireland)

Use the exact information I gave you on the marriage. They will have no trouble in locating it for you.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 March 07 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

I will do a bit of sleuthing on your Henry Charteris's birth record. I think the problem is with the surname's spelling which you could not find him.

Give me a bit of time in finding him.

By the way, are you very certain that he was born in England?

Kind regards,

Tees