Author Topic: Henry Charteris/Annie Moore in Kent or Armagh-1858/59  (Read 6263 times)

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Charteris/Annie Moore in Kent or Armagh-1858/59
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 March 07 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela,

Would you prefer a transcription of the marriage entry instead?

Let me know if you are interested.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline AngelaCharteris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 March 07 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Tees. I have his complete war records & it definately states his name as CHARTERIS & where he was born: NEW BROMPTON, CHATHAM, KENT, ENGLAND.
I know it is called Gillingham now (New Brompton)

What would a transcription give me that the others dont? I got all the information about him from his war records. My private email is

MODERATOR COMMENT: email address removed to avoid spam and other abuses. Please use personal message system to share email addresses and other personal details. Thank You

Thanks so much for your help & yes, it is very frustrating lol. Angela
I am mainly looking for any information on my great grandparents Heny Vayne/Vane Charteris 1858/59 New Brompton, Chatham, Kent England Wife Annie Moore 1862 Armagh Ireland. Married 14th Feb 1882 Armagh Ireland.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 March 07 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela,

I have seen four entries on Familysearch.org--they stated that he was born in 1857 in the same place you mentioned. He had one more middle name of Francis!

His wife was the same one you stated.

I could not find him in the Birth Indexes either.

I think he may be registered under the different name unknown to us.

I would contact the churches in Kent area--the one that served the area your g grandfather stated that it was his birthplace to see if they have any baptism record on him--hopefully, it will give his birth date.

I have a theory based on one of my relatives who served in the military--he went by four different names at four different times he served in the Army! He had good reasons for doing it. The only trouble is that when it was time for him to collect Army pension--he had to own up to it and told them four names and durations! He did get his pension without any trouble.

It may be the case with your g grandfather--he may had been using this name for some reasons unknown to us--perhaps he wants a better chance of getting good promotions? The result he likes it so much and kept this identity for the rest of his life?

Oh, as to the transcription, it is a quick way to get information if you want to have it in a hurry. For only 4 pounds and one service will transcribe the information you seek and E-mail it to you within 3 days or so.

I think your best bet would be waiting for the marriage entry as it will tell you who was his father then you can try and look for him in the 1850 Census--hopefully, with a wife and children. One of these children will give you an opportunity to obtain a birth record and find out who his parents really were. Then, with a bit of luck, you will find your g grandfather's birth record.

Kind regards,

Tees