Author Topic: Gamekeepers - Devon  (Read 3415 times)

Offline tabitha

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Gamekeepers - Devon
« on: Sunday 07 November 04 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi, does anyone know where I can find info on Gamekeepers in Devon abt 1900?

Joseph Sussex born 1858 St. Giles in the Wood was I believe a gamekeeper in the St. Giles area around the 1901 census time and I would like to find out where he worked.

Thank you

Claire (aka tabitha!)
Bevan, Hill, Tustin, Watkins, Teague (Herefordshire, Radnorshire). Rockett, Lillycrap, Govett, Gready, Saunders (Somerset). Sussex, Smale (Devon). Oliver, Kennedy, Cummings, Wright (Co. Durham). Farish (Cumberland, Scotland). Cox (London, Middlessex, Buckinghamshire).

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gamekeepers - Devon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 November 04 00:07 GMT (UK) »
These problems are usualy solved easily enough. With the census page in front of you look for the address. If that does not give a clue such "gate lodge, Claremont" then use the direction arrows to read the previous entries and later ones scrolling back and forth. You will come across the employer estate somewhere as gamekeepers work was often at night so they never lived far from their place of work and would usually be accommodated on the estate.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tabitha

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Gamekeepers - Devon
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 November 04 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Hackstable! I think he must have worked on the Stevenstone Estate owned by a Lord Rolle who appears to have owned half of Devon!!
Cheers
Claire
Bevan, Hill, Tustin, Watkins, Teague (Herefordshire, Radnorshire). Rockett, Lillycrap, Govett, Gready, Saunders (Somerset). Sussex, Smale (Devon). Oliver, Kennedy, Cummings, Wright (Co. Durham). Farish (Cumberland, Scotland). Cox (London, Middlessex, Buckinghamshire).