Author Topic: Moneypenny, Hiram or Mathew circa 1800  (Read 2876 times)

Offline MissM

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Moneypenny, Hiram or Mathew circa 1800
« on: Thursday 21 September 06 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Having tried unsuccessfully to find the father of G G Grandad Mathew (dob 1809), I checked out a cousin who was staying with him on the 1851 census.  Her name was Elizabeth and from her marriage certificate, I've found her father's name is Hiram.  I believe this would make him my Mathew's uncle and brother to his father.

However, I am now having problems finding Hiram!  But I have found Hyrich and wondered if this was an alternative way of recording it.  I presume these are 'old' Irish names but I'd like it confirmed please if anyone can!

Any information on Hiram and/or Mathew's parents from before 1809 VERY gratefully received!

Thanks,

Lynne
MONEYPENNY (Liverpool/N Ireland/Scotland)
CRETNEY (Isle of Man)
KIDD (N Ireland)
DAVIES ( Denbighshire, N Wales)
ROBERTS (Liverpool)
WHITE (Liverpool)
Local History website - www.spekeliverpool.co.uk

Offline Missy2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moneypenny, Hiram or Mathew circa 1800
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 September 06 22:11 BST (UK) »
Lynne,

I know this is probably too late in the 1800s, but I came across a Hiram Moneypenny who leased warehouse rooms, 2nd floor, over 16/17 Dobbin Street, Armagh, circa 1863.  I think it was in the ?land register.  That part of my research was too far back for me to remember correctly. ???

Missy2

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 September 06 07:33 BST (UK) »
Lynne

Hyrich sounds like an attempt to render Heinrich. Neither Heinrich nor Hiram are Irish names - Heinrich is German, Hiram is from the Old Testament of the bible.

Adrian
STEVENSON County Derry;  KINSMAN;  BATTERSBY Dublin

Offline t_creaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 September 06 08:07 BST (UK) »
I agree that Hiram is not an Irish name, but strangely I have come across the name a couple of times in my Co Armagh research so maybe some local connection.

Also I found mention of a Hiram Moneypenny here, may be your chap. http://www.irelandoldnews.com/Armagh/1859/18590813.html

terry
Creaney, Craney (Co Armagh)  Moffett (Cookstown & Larne) McCurdy (Co Antrim) Hind (Cumberland & Durham) Simpson (Co Tyrone) Steenson (Carnlough, Co Antrim) Irwin (Cumberland / Scottish Borders)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 September 06 10:40 BST (UK) »
From The National Archives catalogue

WO 97/1251/88 HIRAM MONEYPENNY Born KILMORE, Armagh Served in Royal Artillery Discharged aged 28 1803-1814

WO 97/1251/87 HENRY MONEYPENNY Born KILMORE, Armagh Served in Royal Artillery Discharged aged 35 1810-1826

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ayla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 September 06 13:17 BST (UK) »

No idea of the possible connection but here is Hiram's marriage.

The Portadown Weekly News
Portadown, County Armagh
August 13, 1859

MARRIAGES.

On the 4th instant, in the Presbyterian Church, Clare,
by the Rev. John Bell, uncle to the bride, assisted by the
Rev. Andrew M’Caldin, Hiram Moneypenny, Esq., Laurel
Cottage, to Agnes, daughter to John Watson, Esq.,
Cornascribe, both of County Armagh.

Offline MissM

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 September 06 14:25 BST (UK) »
Gosh, my phone line was down for 24 hours and I've come back to all your replies!  Thank you!

Missy2: Thanks, I'll make a note of that.  It all helps bring the picture together.

Adrain: I had a feeling Hiram was Jewish.  I can't figure out how that name came into the family yet, but I like diversity so an Irish Jew is great!  Thanks.

Terry:  That looks like him.  I'll tuck it away in my files.  I'm putting all my Moneypenny's together on a website so he'll fit in somewhere!  Thanks.

Valda:  Thanks for these records.  I haven't come across Kilmore before so that might be helpful in narrowing down the area they came from.

Ayla:  It's funny how easy it's been to find Hiram but no sign anywhere of Mathew!  Thanks for the info!

Thanks everyone for all your efforts.  Every time I come to Roots Chat I leave with something new!

Lynne
MONEYPENNY (Liverpool/N Ireland/Scotland)
CRETNEY (Isle of Man)
KIDD (N Ireland)
DAVIES ( Denbighshire, N Wales)
ROBERTS (Liverpool)
WHITE (Liverpool)
Local History website - www.spekeliverpool.co.uk

Offline Ayla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 September 06 16:58 BST (UK) »

Lynne

On reflection the Hiram Moneypenny who married Agnes Watson in 1859 may have been a a brother of your Elizabeth Lee (nee Moneyppenny) and both possibly children of the older Hiram Moneypenny who served in the Royal Artillery.

Hiram jnr and Agnes were presumably the owners of this Portadown Manufacturers (Slaters Directory 1881).

CAMBRIC & LINEN HANDKER CHIEF MANUFACTURERS.
Moneypenny & Watson, Cornascrebe

Ayla

Offline Rustymar1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've just discovered that my 2nd great-grandmother was called Rosanna Moneypenny (born cerca 1831) and she married a David Burrell in Lurgan, Co. Armagh on 7 January 1855. Rosanna's father was also Hiram Moneypenny, whose occupation was given as tailor.

I'm just wondering if Rosanna had any siblings and does anyone know who her mother was?

Many thanks

Russell