Author Topic: Joseph Walter CARTER in 1871 Census in Melbourn  (Read 11670 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Joseph Walter CARTER in 1871 Census in Melbourn
« on: Friday 22 September 06 16:20 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Everyone,
Further to a fairly recent (and very productive, thanks to lots of help on here) thread asking for possible details of the CARTER family in Melbourn in the 1861 Census - also traced back to London in the 1851 - I was wondering whether I could ask for help with the whereabouts of Joseph Walter CARTER in Melbourn in the 1871 Census.  He is on his parents grave, having died in 1880 in his 41st year.  His father Robert CARTER died in 1870, and I was wondering whether his son moved into the family home there called "The Lawn", or "Lawnes". (Mother Elizabeth CARTER would not have been on the scene, as she was incarcerated in a lunatic asylum in Kent...)
Very best wishes,
keith

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Walter CARTER in 1871 Census in Melbourn
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 September 06 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

You mention London in 1851 - as Joseph was b c 1839 - what was his actual birthplace?

The only Joseph Carter I can find in Cambridge was b 1841 Tilney St Lawrence Norfolk and was in the Union Workhouse.  He is shown as a widower - occupation agricultural labourer
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 September 06 17:49 BST (UK) »
Carole,
In the 1851 Census he is at school in Linton, Cambs, but in 1861 he is living with his brother Robert CARTER at 15-16 Minories, in London, when his birthplace is given as "London".
Maybe he was still in London in 1871, then, though the fact that he seems to be the only child buried with his parents Robert and Elizabeth in Melbourn, Cambs, made me think perhaps he might have moved there after his father died in 1870...
keith
Many thanks for looking, anyway!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 September 06 18:13 BST (UK) »
In 1851 his birthplace is shown as Chigwell Essex

Have you checked the deaths for 1880 to establish what area he died in?   

He died in Thanet aged 40 September qtr 1880 Ref 2A 15
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 September 06 18:42 BST (UK) »
Carole,
You've dug up a few surprises here, if indeed this is the same individual.  I'm beginning to wonder who is actually buried in that grave in Melbourn now.  Definitely his father, Robert, b. circa 1788/9; though I'm not at all certain that his mother Elizabeth would have been brought all the way from near Maidstone in Kent where she was in an institution for over 40 years.  And now I'm puzzling over Joseph Walter if he apparently died in Essex.
Does it state "Chigwell, Essex" for his birthplace on that 1851 entry for James Walter as a 12-year-old pupil of that school in Horn Lane, Linton?
Essex may play a part that I hadn't so far realised for this family...
keith
p.s. Think I'll have to subscribe to Ancestry sooner rather than later to examine these original Census entries for myself!

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 September 06 18:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Carole,
Just realised that Thanet is in Kent...!
keith

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 September 06 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes - it is the same 1851 entry.  Joseph Walter Carter age 11 b Chigwell Essex - Pupil - Horn Lane Linton

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 September 06 19:53 BST (UK) »
Carole
Have just received your PM-ed image, and it's definitely Chigwell, Essex!  A bit of a puzzler all this, but thanks SO much for all your help.  Think I'm going to have to order that 1880 Thanet death certificate to see where exactly Joseph Walter died and what were the circumstances surrounding his (fairly) early death.
I feel there must have been some sort of CARTER family connection in Melbourn for him to have been sent away from home at school there in Horn Lane before the whole family moved there (minus his unfortunate mother) by the 1861 Census...
keith

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 April 07 15:14 BST (UK) »
Keith,

I think I've found your Joseph Walter Carter in Hampshire in 1871 (it's indexed as Caster):

At 14 Norfolk Street Portsea there is a Glass and China dealer by the name of Rowse. Also at that address are:

Joseph W Carter 31  Retired from business b. Chigwell Essex
Blanche E Carter 24 wife b. Sevenoaks Kent
Jane Carter 2  daur b. Kennington Surrey
Mary Ann Loader 14  general servant b. Lambeth

RG10/1144 Folio 16 Page 25

The wife's name  ties in with the marriage of a Joseph Walter Carter in Lambeth but that was registered a year later (Blanche Ellen Kipps  - Lambeth  q/e Jun 1872 1d 445 ) .....and the location ties in with the birth of Robert Walter Carter which was registered  in Portsea in q/e Dec 1872  (2b 456 ) - this would be the Robert Walter Carter mentioned in Joseph's Will.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk