Author Topic: "Bard of Bailleston" - Glasgow  (Read 11390 times)

Offline Margaret Russell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Bard of Bailleston" - Glasgow
« on: Sunday 24 September 06 07:22 BST (UK) »

My dad's uncle, Archibald Dorries was the writer of the lyrics of many of Sir Harry Lauder's songs. He was known as the "Bard of Bailleston"
When my father was a lad, he often delivered a lyric or two to the Lauder's house.
When a child delivered a message to a house, the recipient would give the child a sweetie or a farthing. My dad told me that he received nothing anytime he went, and never forgot that.
After WWI, my mother and some other young ladies were waiting under the heilin' man's umbrella before they all went to one of the Glasgow theatres. Charlie Dorries , the son of Archibald, was a singer, and used to do a circuit of theatres from Glasgow to Australia to America.
Some young men who were also waiting there, got the attention of these young ladies. One of them,  Angus told Jeannie, that if she promised to have tea with him in town, after the show, that she could meet his cousin, Charles Dorries. Jeannie thought this was a new one, but said she would like to meet Charles. They did, and the rest is history. That was how my mom and dad met.
When I was a child, we used to receive a Christmas card from "uncle Airchie" and inside the card was always his own poetry.
Has anyone heard of Archibald or Charlie Dorries?

Offline Robert Murray

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ma, did ye stir ma' tea ?
    • View Profile
Re: "Bard of Bailleston" - Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 September 06 22:07 BST (UK) »
I come from Baillieston and research its history, and I'm sorry to say I've never came across this man. Can you advise which years you refer to where your father delivered lyrics to Lauder, pre-WW1 ?

Where did Lauder live at this time ? Hamilton ?

If you can add a bit I'll certainly keep an eye out for Archie Dorries and advise you.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 September 06 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret

On the IGI is one solitary family:
Parents: Daniel DORRIES and Mary McFADYN

John  DORRIES 22 NOV 1857 Tradeston, Glasgow, Lanark
Daniel  DORRIES Birth: 10 AUG 1860 Haddington, East Lothian-
Helen DORRIES 29 OCT 1861 Haddington, East Lothian
Archibald  DORRIES 11 JAN 1863 Haddington, East Lothian
Charles DORRIES 04 MAY 1865 High Church, Glasgow, Lanark
Neil  DORRIES Birth: 15 JUL 1867 High Church, Glasgow, Lanark
Jane ALEXANDER DORRIES 11 FEB 1869 High Church, Glasgow, Lanark
Angus  DORRIES 04 SEP 1871 High Church, Glasgow, Lanark
Hugh  DORRIES 12 JUL 1874 Calton, Glasgow, Lanark

The daughter Helen DORRIES appears in this tree:
http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=anna-louise&id=I18715

It says she married Jul 1881 in Govan Glasgow and died around 3 Jan 1937 in 32 Tobago Street, Shettleston, Glasgow, as Helen LEITCH.

I have the 1881 Scot Census CD and I cannot find any Helen DORRIES or  any other DORRIES  in the Glasgow region or anywhere in the Lowlands region - my Highlands region is broiken so I can't check it..

................Hang on, you said "Mom" - American or Canadian -  that Rootsweb tree is your family, isn't it?  Or is it? The owner of the tree has a nz email address though  ::) ;D

So you already do have the names of Archibald's parents, at least?

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Margaret Russell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 September 06 23:22 BST (UK) »
Ambly - Thanks for the information. You are right, you have the family.  Helen is my grandmother, and her brother is Archibald.  Archibald's son was Charles Dorries, the music hall singer.
Helen's mother as you mentioned was Mary McFAdyen
born in Tobermory Mull, whereas the rest of the family were born on the Isle of Tyree.
The McLean's on the Isle of Tyree were considered the Bards.  Perhaps there are a few McLean's thrown in somewhere, as Archibald had the gift of poetry.
Yes Helen Dorries (Cameron) Leitch was raised by her aunt, Flora (McPhaiden ) Cameron. Helen died in 1939 at Tobago St.
I was born and raised in Winnipeg Canada, and I remember her death well because she died on my birthday.
My dad seldom attended church, but I recall, that Sunday that he accompanied us all for an evening service.  When we returned home, his mother's picture (Helen) was lying on the floor, the glass all smashed, though no one was in the house.  My mom had the 6th sense, and said, "I think you'll hear o yer mither's death."  Two weeks later we received a letter from Glasgow telling us about it.

Blessings Margaret

Offline Margaret Russell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 September 06 23:49 BST (UK) »
Robert Murray - I am pleased that you research Bailleston history.  I am sorry, too, that you haven't heard about Archibald.
My dad was born in 1888, so I imagine that he would be around the ages of 7-10 years when he visited the Lauder house with the lyrics.
If my almost 80 years memory serves me rightly, I think Harry lived in one of the big houses over near the Peoples' Palace.
Dad lived on King St, not far from this area. I don't know Glasgow, but I think I remember him mentioning Greendyke St. or something like that.
If you find out anything, please keep me in mind.  Thanks.

Blessings margaret
According to what I understood as a child, that many of the lyrics that Harry claimed to have written were actually written by Archibald, and perhaps that is the reason that he is not well known.

Offline Robert Murray

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ma, did ye stir ma' tea ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 September 06 00:50 BST (UK) »
Margaret Greendyke St. is very near the People's Palace and King Street is off Trongate in Glasgow city centre, not Baillieston I'm afraid. However he may have been born there eh? I'll keep an eye out for the name.

Offline Margaret Russell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 September 06 01:02 BST (UK) »
Robert Murray - Thanks for telling about these streets. My father was born in Calton, but perhaps the Dorries family lived in Bailleston, I really don't know.
Being separated from our relatives was bad enough, but it was real dedication to keep up any correspondence during those Depression Years, and then the delays that were encountered during WWII.
I am sure there must be relatives in Glasgow on both my mother and my father's side, but where?
Thanks for your contribution, as every little bit of information helps.

Blessings margaret

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 02:31 BST (UK) »
Ambly, I feel for you having a 'broken 1881 Highlands', would be lost without it  :'(

Margaret, I looked on the Highland region, I could only find one Dorries and this is a 22 year old Jessie Dorries, Servant and Table Maid, born in Gartsferry and working at Airth Castle, Airth in Stirlingshire for a Wauchope family. The head of the family, Andrew Wauchope has the interesting occupation of 'Australian Squatter'.

regards,

Lindsay
MORRISON - Dunbartonshire, Stirlingshire
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
HEWITT - Wigtownshire, Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

All census information Crown Copyright

Offline Margaret Russell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 03:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you Lindsay for your information.  Jessie could be one of them, but I haven't come across the name Jessie as yet, but with the spelling as such it could.

Where do your Gibsons in Lanarkshire come from?

Blessings Margaret