Author Topic: HOWLETT in Suffolk  (Read 20746 times)

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
Re: HOWLETT in Suffolk
« Reply #18 on: Monday 18 February 08 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Wymondham is of course pronounced in the way that the enumerator wrote it - we say Wind'am.

SM ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline AndrewMartin

• RootsChat Member
  • Tweet me: www.twitter.com/familytreeuk
    • View Profile
Re: HOWLETT (and a bit of Clark) in Suffolk
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 27 August 08 12:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for their help on this one. It's been a while and i've made a little help with Deborah, Judy and Jo's help...

It seems that the Howlett family were from Wymondham and that the parents in the 1841 census were John Howlett and Elizabeth Gooding (née Poll).

The mystery remaining is who was Caroline Clark (my Gt Gt Gt  Grandmother). After her 1855 marriage in Mildenhall to Thomas Howlett, I'm fine.. but prior to this, it's all a blur. Her marriage shows that her 'father' is "Alfred Woods (deceased)".

A step-father? No idea - there doesn't seem to be a suitable Alfred and Caroline on the 1841 census anywhere in the country.

Illegitimate? Maybe - but i'm struggling to find out to whom and where she was born.

An Emma Clark married Caroline's Howlett brother-in-law. Perhaps they were sisters? ... if so, then the family were living in a barn (yes, really!) in Isleham in 1841... but Caroline is missing.

bah... where's my wrecking ball?
Andrew Martin
Cambridgeshire, England.
https://www.familytreeuk.co.uk
https://familyhistoriespodcast.com

Researching: BABBIDGE, BAILEY, BARBER, BARKER, BISHOP, BOULTER, BOWERS, BRIGHTWELL, BURNELL, CLARKE, COOPER, CROSS, DEWEY, DEWSBURY, FLOWER, FREEMAN, GAWTHROP, GIDDINGS, GIGNER, GILBERT, GILLIONS, GOLTRIP, GOTHARD, HARRISON, HAWKINS, IRONS, JEFFERY, LEVITT, MARTIN, MODEN, NEWMAN, NEWELL, ONG, TALL, TAYLOR, TINGEY, WHITEHEAD, YARROW.

Offline Bengunn

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, Andrew,
I note you are looking for HOWLETT's in Suffolk. My Grandmother was Caroline Priscilla HOWLETT (1868-1940) Fressingfield, Suffolk. Father: William Henry HOWLETT (1831-1903). He had sisters Caroline HOWLETT (b.1829 Fressingfield), Priscilla(b.1835), Elizabeth (b.1837) Ellen (b.1841) and Mary Ann(b1844) plus brothers Charles (b.1833) and Arthur (b.1839).
William Henry's father was Robert HOWLETT (b. 1796 Fressingfield) who had married Priscilla ETHERIDGE (b.1807 Wingfield, Suffolk), a member of the ETHERIDGE family who originated in the Low Countries as EDRICHE and came over to England in the 1500's as wealthy merchants escaping the ravages of the roaming bands of unemployed soldiery roaming the country.
Judging by the similarity of names in our two branches of the HOWLETT family I would suggest that they are possibly the same family - it just needs a little search to find the relevant person(s) and dates.

Hope this will be of interest - and possibly a help.

Regards,

Brian

Offline kelw45

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Does anyone have information about an Elizabeth HOWLETT who married a William BRIGGS in Dunwich Suffolk?  Elizabeth was born around 1765.
Thanks,
Pat

Offline Dulverton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Robert HOWLETT marriage in Mendham
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 23 September 18 15:42 BST (UK) »
Robert Howlett & Ann Self were married by licence at All Saints, Mendham, Suffolk on the 26th December 1800.
Robert was recorded as "of Pulham St Mary" in the marriage register.