Author Topic: Novar Estate  (Read 3929 times)

Offline AvonDee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Novar Estate
« on: Monday 25 September 06 22:04 BST (UK) »
I have been surprised to find that two of my Gt uncles were born in Ireland between 1883 and 1886 .  The children before were born in Alness and the later ones in Kingussie and Insh.

My grandfather John Stewart was a gamekeeper and it has been suggested that he was sent to Ireland by the estate he worked on. When he married in 1879 he was living at Novar. His wife Elizabeth Mackenzie was born there.

In 1879 on first childs birth certificate and the 1881  census his address is Fyrish Road Cottages.  The second child was born at Boghall? (hard to read on certificate).

What I would like to know is, are these addresses on the Novar estate and did Roland Munro Feguson who owned Novar at that time have any interests in Ireland.  This might give me a starting point of where to look for them. Where should I been looking for this information?
Aberdeenshire :  Brand, Davidson, Beaton, Matthew
Banffshire:  Brand, Brands, Teunon, Skakel
Fife:  Brand, Crawford, Reddie, Harrower, Haggart, Buchanan
Invernessshire: Stewart
Perthshire: Stewart, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty: McKenzie, McPherson
Australia: Stewart, Tyzack

Offline Sherlock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Novar Estate
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 September 06 23:19 BST (UK) »
Novar Estate - The History
Novar Estate, once described as a barren and treeless place, was transformed in the 18th century by Sir Hector Munro who, on his return from service with the East India Company, improved the farmland, drained marshes and planted trees in vast numbers as well as reconstructing Novar House to be a classical Georgian square. His two sons were killed in India, one by a tiger and one by a shark in the Bay of Bengal.

Owned by the Munro Ferguson Family
The estate then passed to his daughter Jean who had married Ronald Ferguson of Raith. Today Novar is a thriving estate still owned and run by the Munro Ferguson family.

Andrew, Donald (Wester Highlands), Muckersie (Perth), Symon(s) (Dundee)