Author Topic: Methodist records.  (Read 2638 times)

Offline Kitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Methodist records.
« on: Tuesday 26 September 06 13:05 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if there are any Methodist records hidden away somewhere? Another Woosnam and myself have hit a brick wall! We are looking for the Baptism of Francis Woosnam who was (according to censuses) born in Llandinam 1806-1811. He is not mentioned on the IGI or in Parish Registers. Only his marriage in 1833 to Hannah Jones has been recorded. We are trying to establish who his parents were but seem to be going round in circles.
As most of the family were Methodists we wondered if there were any records that were accessable.
Many thanks in advance.
Ann. ???
Griffith   Chester.
Woosnam   Mid Wales.
Kitchen   Liverpool.
Drummond   Liverpool, Wallasey and Birkenhead.

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
Re: Methodist records.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 13:57 BST (UK) »
I can't offer you any help with your query, but I can't resist asking whether you have our all-conquering Ryder Cup captain somewhere on your tree...
   Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have you seen the Francis Woosnam born c1771 and living in Llandinam in 1841 and 1851. Might be worth finding his death cert or that for his wife Sarah and seeing who reported the death etc.
Coincidence maybe?
Well done to Ian Woosnam last weekend. Brilliant!!!

Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Kitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Gareth and Peter.
Thank you for your kind words about Ian Woosnam. We are not quite sure if he is in our tree or not, we have a feeling that he is somewhere along the line. I do have some of his details but as yet to follow them up.
Peter---yes we do have the death cert for Francis of 1771 and of Sarah his wife. Francis's death was registered by a Margaret Humphries, why we don't know because his wife was still alive at time. He died in 1859 aged 88 and Sarah (Thickens)died in 1870 aged 80. He was a lot older than her when they married which leads us to suspect that he was married before. We think his 1st wife was Mgt Thomas from Llangurig but can't prove it. They had at least one son in 1802 William and we think our Francis as well in 1806. Perhaps Mgt died in childbirth and he never got round to having Francis baptised. He married Sarah Thickens c1820 and went on to have a large family. The Parish Registers or Bishop's Transcripts don't show him --so that's our "brick wall" I'm afraid.
I do hope you managed to decipher all that? When there are 2 marriages and 2 families combine it gets a tad confusing!
Thank you both for your interest.
Ann.
Griffith   Chester.
Woosnam   Mid Wales.
Kitchen   Liverpool.

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 19:43 BST (UK) »
Of course, Ian is not the only famous sporting Woosnam - I remember Phil starring in the Welsh soccer team in the fifties and sixties. He was that rare beast: a footballer with a BSc.

There was another international, George Woosnam (b. Newtown, 1860-1935) who played once for Wales in 1879.

If they do turn up in your tree, I'll happily give you any details of their careers you might want.

Regards, Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Offline Kitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 19:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Gareth. I am reading a book about Max Woosnam at the moment, and Phil and I are in contact anyway. Sounds impressive doesn't it, but Phil has been most helpful with our tree.
Ann. ;)
Griffith   Chester.
Woosnam   Mid Wales.
Kitchen   Liverpool.

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 19:50 BST (UK) »
Good to hear that Phil is still going strong. I never met him, but saw him in the red shirt a few times. Has he still got the crewcut?!!!
  Gareth

Offline Kitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 11:16 BST (UK) »
Don't know about the crew cut Gareth---I shall ask him-hehe!
Ann.
Griffith   Chester.
Woosnam   Mid Wales.
Kitchen   Liverpool.

Offline Kitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 September 06 12:08 BST (UK) »
Gareth, You may be interested to hear that I have just heard from Phil! He says he no longer has the crew cut but it's now short and gray!!
Ann. ;D
Griffith   Chester.
Woosnam   Mid Wales.
Kitchen   Liverpool.