Author Topic: Labour Corps WW1  (Read 35055 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Labour Corps WW1
« Reply #54 on: Friday 09 November 18 19:27 GMT (UK) »
A possibility is that the person making the entry on the certificate should have put 14 Infantry Labour Company which was one of the no less than 27 Infantry Labour Companies formed under the banner of the King's Liverpool (No Labour No Battle).
Could it simply be that :
a his records are (like the majority) lost in WW2 and
b. he didn't go overseas so no medal record.
c.  if he did then his medal records atre lost also.

14 ILC became 79 Labour Company later with numbers between 46801 and 47400.  I had looked also for this batch of numbers and found, coincidence, a William Bibby  Labour Corps medal card but his only other regiment was the Manchesters.
Yes to the numbers game.  Numbers were regimentally allocated although the system changed mid war.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Devonia18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 09 November 18 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Really really helpful thanks. This all sounds possible. Some misdescription on the birth certificate, and lost records. Your answer on the numbers is not what I expected, and it is useful to know.
I mistrust my memory because it would be 50 years ago that any of this was mentioned and I would be in my teens. But I think I remember it being said he never left the UK.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 10 November 18 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Another Labour Corps man.

I'm trying to connect this man to the correct family, I think I know who he belongs to but was hoping his service record might have survived to firm things up but I'm having no luck finding it.

He is James Doyle 547290 Scottish Command Labour Centre,
Labour Corps transferred from Royal Dublin Fusiliers 24773
died in Brighton 17 Jan 1919
CWGC https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/662964/doyle,-/
His Will http://soldierswills.nationalarchives.ie/reels/sw/1918_22/DoyleJ_E725225.pdf
Can anyone find anything I've missed please.

His grave has lost it's maker (rusted away) and it's bugging me to see it that way so I'd like to figure out who his family are.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 10 November 18 09:40 GMT (UK) »
His service record has not survived but I would have thought, as the names of his father and his mother, with an address, appear variously in the will, the CWGC detail, Soldier's Died in the Great War and the Effects Register, his family are pretty well defined.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 10 November 18 09:47 GMT (UK) »
I thought the same but the eldest in the family ( I think is great nephew)said he isn't related to them. I'll have to try and go from the present back.
Thank you for looking.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 10 November 18 11:24 GMT (UK) »
I've just been reading a piece the great nephew wrote about four grand uncles who served in the war and two Joseph and Thomas have the same parents and address as James. I think he just missed James. Looking at the family in the Census all three names feature.
Looking good.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 10 November 18 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Does an E after a brothers name on a service record mean the brother has Enlisted?
I'm looking at Thomas Doyle's record and Father Mother and three brothers are listed with and E after each brother's name, they include a James.

Offline Colls29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 25 April 20 08:06 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

My grandmother and I have started to dig in to family history as she would like to know more about her father before he immigrated to Australia.

We’ve found that he served for the British Army in the labour corps in 1917. Is there a way to track as to where he served? My grandmother has said that he served in Egypt but we’re just trying to find it somewhere.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 25 April 20 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat!  May I suggest you start a fresh thread specific to great grandfather with his name in the title?

The Labour Corps was an enormous organisation when it was completely up and running .  There were about 19 Labour Corps companies in Egypt although the seminal book on the Labour Corps "No Labour No Battle" says that none of them kept war diaries and references to them are few.  He may however have served in Egypt in other units.

Have you any of his army details at all?  Happy to help you search but you'll need to give some more details like his name, where was he born and when.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk