Author Topic: William Moffitt from Yorkshire to Massachusetts  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Neko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
William Moffitt from Yorkshire to Massachusetts
« on: Thursday 28 September 06 02:28 BST (UK) »
we know he was here by 1839, when his first child is born. he is in the 1840 Northampton, Hampshire, Massachusetts census. he isn't in the 1850 census, but his wife and children are. they are in Northampton, Massachusetts still, but by 1856 the family has removed to Butler Co., Iowa. was he in England in 1850?

I have searched both the passenger lists at Ancestry and Castle Garden for him, to no avail.

one possible one has him as a marble cutter, and I have him as coming to America to set up a mill...forget for the moment the type of it but it had to do with making cloth...later he settles down and farms.

William Clifford Moffitt
b. 24 Nov 1803 "near Leeds", Yorks, England
d. 12 Apr 1888 Beaver, Black Hawk, Iowa
m. abt 1838 in England? or America?
to Martha Mason
b. 25 Mar 1810 Armley, Yorks, England
d. 17 Mar 1885 Cedar Falls, Black Hawk, Iowa

I know Martha's parents also came, and it appears that her father, William Mason, is a widow by 1840 as there is a man of the proper age living with William and Martha in 1840, but no older woman living with them. William Mason's wife was Martha Smith Moffitt. William Mason was chr. on 2 Jun 1774. so all 4 of these people should show up between 1830 and 1840 in the passenger lists, somewhere. at least two of William Mason's sons came as well, William Mason b. 1809 and Christopher Columbus Mason b. 1800.
Airey Aitken Atkinson Alston Barr*tt Cross Freeman Gage Harlock Harris Hawkins Head Hudd Parker Peckover Pennington Rayner Richards Seaman Smith Smyth Waterfall

Elizabeth Burnham, Mary Church, John Davis Cooper, Hannah Cork, Aubrey Cross, Mary J. Docwra, Elizabeth Griffiths, Chas Halifax, John Head, Lavinia King, Mary & Martha Mayhew, Alfred Augustus Mayo, Wm Pettit, Hezekiah Richards, Martha Sewell, Rebecca Sidnell, Hannah Smith, Augustin Smyth, Annie Southan, Catherine Till/Tell, Fanny Watt