Author Topic: "Exiles" transported to Port Phillip 1845-1849  (Read 49900 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "Exiles" transported to Port Phillip 1845-1849
« Reply #18 on: Friday 06 October 06 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Jenn,

This the biggest problem I have come across.  Positive identification without parents' names and very often the ages not consistent (the latter is the worst because a lot of these boys did not even know their DOBs).

However, with the "Marion" there is a possible solution. I have a copy of the Parkhurst Governor's Log for 1844 (no other years exist unfortunately as they were destroyed in a fire at the prison) and this does sometimes contain parents' names, for example, an unusual surname William UDLE, his Mother's name is Hannah UDLE, a Weaver living in Frome, Somerset........or John McCORMACH, his Father is Martin McCORMACH, a Shoemaker living at St Hellens Walk, Derby. 

And, for any descendants of these two boys that I could contact, they possibly could be very interested in that the Log does contain a brief description of their lives up until the time they were imprisoned........of course, my major difficulty, contacting descendants.   Let me know if you would like an example of these "descriptions".

For now

Tony

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 06 October 06 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony

On the First Families website jenn posted you will also find Henry ANSCOMBE.  He married Elizabeth HARVEY nee PERT in 1868.  Died 1873 aged 43 (listed as being born London) Parents listed as William & Frances GILES.  Children born Melbourne, Maryborough & Redc (possibly Redcliffe).

George Downing ALSTON died in Warrnambool in 1893 aged 65 Parents listed as Charles & Matilda CROSS.
married Emma TAYLOR in 1853.  Children all born in Warrnambool.
The PROV has him as George P ALSTON (I will check this on Sunday)

There is also an Alexander AGAR died Brunswick E aged 78 in 1904 Parents listed as Edward & Sarah (Unknown)

Also Charles VENNELL died Longwarry aged 78 in 1906 Parents listed as Charles & Mary HENRY. He married Bridget DWYER in 1858.  children born Woodend area.

Regards

Genni
All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 07 October 06 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Jenn,

I am now busy composing Biographies for all the names mentioned in recent postings........the only slight doubt is Charles VENNEL that Genni unearthed., and he is being "investigated".

I am really grateful for all the leads because I was beginning to despair that Port Phillip was a closed book.   The difficulty, compared to Tasmania, for instance, is that as "Exiles" with Conditional Pardons no Conduct Records were maintained and a tracing tool is lost.   Never mind, the last couple of days have increased my Port Phillip Biographies considerably and gives me hope that they can be found with a little bit of creative researching.

Once again, thank you for helping.

Regards

Tony

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 07 October 06 12:29 BST (UK) »
hello  there Tony   
well  that is  cool  you  are  now making  a  bit  more  headway  due  to  Genni's  marvellous  insight  into  the workings  of  the Provic site

all  the boys  are  there on  the ships  a  lovely  bit  of  history

anything else  you  want  just   ask  away

regards jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 07 October 06 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Jenn,

When I did my National Service I was told never to "volunteer" but I am glad you said "just ask away".

An interesting feature is that two ships were not allowed to disembark their "Exiles" at Port Phillip but were turned away and headed for Sydney......some went on to Moreton Bay.   The ships were the "Hashemy" and the "Randolph", and they carried over 100 ex-Parkhurst juveniles.   One of those on the "Hashemy", W.H. GROOM, became a prominent politician in Qld and also the Father of the First Federal Parliament in Melbourne......his son became a Knight of the Realm.....not bad for a boy convict!!!   The links to the ships are:

http://members.iinet.au/~perthdps/convicts/park14.html for the "Hashemy" and park15. for the "Randolph"

GROOM is the only one I know about so if you could  unearth any of the others that would be marvellous.....I think that those on the "Randolph" went mostly to Port Jackson.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Tony

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 07 October 06 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony

The following link is to the State records office in NSW.  It is regarding the Exiles.  The indexes searchable.  The reels themselves, I would have thought would be available at the National Archives in Kew.

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/convict_exiles_1849-50_338.asp

I don't know if you aware but Victoria & Queensland were still under NSW in the 1840's, Victoria didn't become seperated until 1852.

Regards

Genni
All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 08 October 06 01:54 BST (UK) »
Hello  there Tony  and  Genni

on  the site  you  tony  have  supplied  there  is  only about 25  lads  listed on  the "Hasmeny"

Now  tony  says  there was about  100  and  by  checking  the NSW  state records  that Genni informed  you  about  there  are  quite  a good  deal  of  names  that  don"t  have  an age  against their names.
  Would  I  be  right  in assuming  that  these  are younger lads?

Now  I  picked  one  of  the lads  simply  cause  his  last  name  is  the same  as  in  my  family tree(  a small twig  an  aunts  husband  grand parents  names no connection on checking)
Josiah MOSELEY/MOSELY

now  checking  the on line  BDM's  and  taking  into  account  that  these  actual  records  are  not  sighted  and  only an assumption  on  my part, no  other  Josiah  Mosely  on  the  records  for that time frame

in  1859 at TUMUT  Josiah Mosely  married Julia ADRAY  REG NO 1224/1859
children born  to  the couple
13030/1859 MOSELY JOSIAH BORN TUMUT
died 8/3/1863  in Queensland 1863/000443

13467/1861 ROBERT F BORN TUMUT
died 3/3/1863 in Queensland 1863/000436

11366/1874 JULIA BORN GRAFTON

JULIA  DIED IN  1883  AT  MACLEAN NSW parents given as  John A and Mary  1883/6613
JOSIAH  DIED  AGED  77 at Marrickville NSW no  parents  given on  the  on line record  2244/1911

Also  please  note  that  on  two  of  children deaths it says  father Josiah Redfern Mosely/Moseley

I cannot  find  any  history  on  this  lad.

I don't  know  if  this  is  off  any help  to  you

regards Jenn
HAIR, Durham,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
VAN REYK Sri Lanka

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 08 October 06 04:55 BST (UK) »
Hello
I was  thinking  there was a  fair gap  between  the  birth of  the Moseley  children  so  did  some further investigations  and  discovered  some births  and deaths  in Qld

Digger-  Queensland Pioneers Index 1829 -1189

1862/000951 
Julia Mosely born 16/7/1862  to Josiah Mosely  and Julia Ardrey  died 12/3/1868 (1868/001073)

1862/000952
John Mosely born 16/7/1862 to Joshiah /Mosely and Julia Ardrey died 28/2/1863 (1863/000428)

1865/27/5/1865
Josiah Moseley born 27/5/1865 to Josiah Moseley and Julia Ardrey

1866/002072
Robert Fererick Mosely born 7/7/1866 to Josiah Moseley and Julia Audrey

1868 /002726
Mary Mosely born 2/9/1867  to Josiah Mosely and Julia Andrey

1869/003191
John Moseley born 9/9/1869 to Josiah Moseley and Julia Ardrey

I have  put  the  names spellings  as appears  on  the  index,  this  couple  didn't  have a  lot  of  luck  with  their  children loosing   their  first  two  little  boys within  days of each  other   and  then  losing  a set of twins in queensland.
Unfortunately  the  Qld  indexs  do  not  give  a  birth or death place  but  do  have  the Letter "B" beside the  registration  number to denote born  in Brisbane.

regards jenn

HAIR, Durham,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
VAN REYK Sri Lanka

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 08 October 06 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Jenn

Josiah MOSELEY is an unusual name and possibly this one is from the "Hashemy"..........I have only two pieces of information about him:

(1)   In the "Moreton Bay Courier" for the 20th October 1849, p.3. he is recorded as receiving a Conditional Pardon; and from another source which I have not recorded:

(2)   He is supposed to have gone to Yass, but no date specified, although it is a long way from Moreton Bay (I have assumed there is only the NSW Yass).  I have no idea where Marrickville is in NSW, where he died,  but McLean, where his wife died, is about 500 miles NW of Yass on the coast.   So all a little bit confusing geographically.

However, I am fairly convinced that they are one and the same person.

Regards

Tony

PS:   The "firstfamilies 2001", which I had not heard of previously, is proving quite helpful......I have unearthed 3 more leads, besides the ones you and Genni mentioned ARCHMAN and ANSCOMBE, and there are a few names yet to be researched.