Author Topic: Williams/Jones Gwalch Mai Hollyhead  (Read 6470 times)

Offline clematised

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Williams/Jones Gwalch Mai Hollyhead
« on: Sunday 01 October 06 02:39 BST (UK) »
i AM NEW TO THIS BOARD AS IN NEVER SAW IT BEFORE NOW BUT MY WILLIAMS FAMILY WERE FROM FARMS  in gwalch mai i believe Pen Y Bonc and Tre wilmot the Pen Y Bonc family were the Williams family and the Tre Wilmot family were the Jones family and I am told that Grace Hughes from TY MAWR MYNYDD wrote a book about her letters to her family in America detailing all the family news from the area which is held in the Records Office in Anglesey. My grandparents were Richard Williams born 1844 family from Pen Y Bonc  farm and Margaret Jones born 1852 Tre Wilmot(tre Wilinod) farm Gwalch mai.

I am waiting for the library to get back to me to see if I can get the book published Liverpool 1976 privately by the family of Grace Hughes to see if I can follow the family records but have also asked the GRO in Southport to find the Marriage of my grandparents and I am told it will take three weeks

Any suggestions will be received gratefully.

I think Thomas Owen may have lived on the farm and died in his eighties and a nephew working for him may have taken over from him named Williams and he may have been my ancestor but not sure yet.

If you think you can advise and if you think my information may be wrong then please advise
Scotland and Liverpool Wilson,Conning,Cooper.Marshall
Cumberland,Liverpool, Anderson,Harrison
India, Liverpool, Lloyd.
Hollyhead anglesey,Wales, Liverpool, Jones,Williams
Llangwyfan,Aberffraw. Hughes/Griffiths

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Re: Williams/Jones Gwalch Mai Hollyhead
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 October 06 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Clematised

Welcome to Rootschat - hope you find all the help you need on here (very helpful people)

I have two separate Jones families from the Gwalchmai area - Edward Jones, Tailor born between 1825 and 1830 Gwalchmai and Wiliam Jones, Groom born 1813 Gwalchmai.

Now I do know that there is a local historian in the Ty Croes area named Williams but I will have to ask my Mum what his full name is as she knows him and has spoken to him quite a lot (apparently he had a "thing" for one of my Mum's Griffith family aunties who died in the 1940's)

It might be worthwhile asking at Llangefni if they have anything by him (mainly in Welsh)

Do you live on Anglesey?

Carol

Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline clematised

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 October 06 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Carol

I live in Southport Merseyside and I am unable to get to Angelsey at the moment to do any research but a relative has been to the Archive Place there and found out about the book for me.

I beleive there were also Griffiths in the family but I dont know the connection only the reccollections of an old family member who is really unreliable.
Anything that anyone can find out for me will be a help so thank you for your information
India, Liverpool, Lloyd.

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 October 06 14:16 BST (UK) »
Right here is my part of the Jones' with the Griffith family in it

Mary Jones born 1848 Bodedern. Daughter of William Jones born 1818 Gwalchmai and Grace ? ? born 1811 Llandeussant. William was a Groom at Bodedern from at least 1851 to 1881. The family lived at Refail newydd, Bodedern. Children were Margaret 1846, Mary 1848, John 1853, Richard 1860 and Robert 1869. I don't have the parents of William or Grace so cannot go any further back than them though I am still searching.

Mary married Robert griffith born 1848 Llanfaelog. They married in 1869 and had the following children - William 1870, Hugh 1872, Robert 1873, John R 1876, Richard 1878, Owen 1882, Mary Jane 1884, Margaret 1886 and Moses 1892. They lived in the Llanbeulan area at Penterfyn. My grandfather was Richard b 1878 and he was always known as Richard Penterfyn as he grew up.

Hopefully i should be able to get over to Anglesey within the next few weeks and will be searching for my "loose ends" of which they are one so I might have a bit more info for you by then.

Carol

Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline clematised

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 October 06 16:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this info Carol I will save it fur further investigation and in the hope I can get the book on loan,although I dont know what I will do if it is not translated to English, as I dont know any Welsh speakers personally.

I think the book may also help you if your family were in the same area so it is held in the Anglesey Record Office and you can ask to look it up as it is available to look at.

India, Liverpool, Lloyd.

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 October 06 16:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Clematised

Will ask about it and see what they have - maybe I can have certain parts photocopied.

Carol

Offline clematised

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 14:32 GMT (UK) »
I have now read the book in its entirity and the letters mainly refer to the Hughes family moving to Liverpool and America and most of the book is in English with some letters in Welsh with English translations.

I got no help from it as I dont know the names of my grandparents parents although I found it interesting as I could compare the way of life with that of my grandparents family.

It does show in a pull out section the Hughes family tree if there are any family out there looking for them.

There is also a list of guests attending a wedding at the farm Ty Mawr Mynydd.
India, Liverpool, Lloyd.

Offline clematised

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 February 07 01:18 GMT (UK) »
I still am no further on with this family and now I know that there is no marriage cert for my Grandparents under the names Richard Williams and Margaret Jones for the time around the birth of the first child in 1874 in Anglesey.

There is also no person of either name being born at these addresses of the farms for the years Iam looking for.

I will now have to start searching for clues in Liverpool Library for the marriage perhaps the Baptist Chapels of the areas in Liverpool where they lived may hold some clues.

Clematised
India, Liverpool, Lloyd.

Offline clematised

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 June 07 01:06 BST (UK) »
It has been a long eighteen months of searching for my grandparents marriage and not only have i found the marriage
I have now got the right cert and they married in Birkenhead in 1872. and with help I have managed to get back two generations of Williams.
I have from the 1841 census William Williams born c1801 living LLanfaelog with wife Elizabeth age 45 and children Richard 20 Elizabeth 16 William 13 Peter 11 Hugh 7 Eleanor 6 Thomas 4
1851 census gives William as born Maelog 1796c Joiner and Elizabeth born Aberffraw 1798
in 1851 census Richard born c1821 Maelog  Joiner wife Ellen c1812  and son Richard  (my grandfather) age 6 born 1844 living at number 6 Lower Mountain Row Hollyhead and  father William and family living at number 12.

1861 census has Richard and Ellen with children Elizabeth ,  11 Thomas 9 Ellen 4 John 2 while his parents are living at 3 with no family at home. Richards birthplace is Rhosneigin.

Thats what I have up to now and my friend and helper thinks that the family moved to the mountain at Hollyhead to work on the Breakwater.
She has also found the link to Pen y Bonc Farm as The Farmer John Jones's wife Grace Jones nee Roberts had a niece Elizabeth who married My Grandfather Richards brother William who became the Farmer in 1891 and 1901 census.

I have found in the IGI  the first William Williams and Elizabeth Jones's childrens baptisms at Llanfaelog Batch number C089991 1806to1852 , and the marriage of  Richard Williams to Elleanor Roberts 05 Sept 1840 in Hollyhead batch number M056231 1813to1840 , and the baptism of my grandfather Richard 19Jun 1842 Ceirchiog Anglesey Batch number C056191 1813to1843.

I am still searching for Margaret Jones's father named on the cert as David Jones Stone Mason but not been so lucky on this one.

India, Liverpool, Lloyd.