Author Topic: KEMISH/MOORE  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Gleds

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
KEMISH/MOORE
« on: Monday 08 November 04 01:16 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to fill in details about my Grandmother and her family.

She was named as Gladys Florence Viney born at 95 Toronto Road on 14th September 1905.  Her mother Nellie Ann Moore registered her in the sub district North End and Buckland, Portsmouth on the 28th October 1905 address then 101 Toronto Road.

Nellie A was the daughter of Lucy Ellen (nee KEMISH) and William MOORE married 7th April 1889 at Portsea, Hants.  She was born on 21st January 1890 at 8 Wells Street, Landport.  In the 1891 Census she was living with:

William Moore a Gunner in the 16th Southern (RA) and Lucy Ellen at 2 Cross Street, Portsea.

According to this information my Grandmothers mother was not yet 16 years old when she was born.  I have read there were 'Bastardy Bonds in those days - do these registers exist in Portsmouth/Hants. 

On my Grandmothers marriage certificate however she named her father as Percy Viney deceased - a sailor.

We know nothing about her birth mother as Lucy Ellen brought her up.  Lucy Ellen and Nellie Ann were living at 7 Grenville Road, Portsmouth.  She as housekeeper to Thomas Sharp and Nellie Ann was a boarder.

(Also on the 1901 Census there was a Percy Viney - 14 years - living at Harcourt Road, 9 Ladysmith Terrace, Portsmouth - son of William and Elizabeth).

However at sometime after 1901, although Lucy still stated she was married we cannot find out what happened to William Moore her husband.  At some later date she becomes Lucy Ellen Sharp and lived at 40 Wolsey Road,
Portslade. Thomas Alfred Sharp died 27th August 1917 and Lucy died 25th March 1939.

Lucy Ellen was born at 4th July 1862 at Banning Street, Romsey to Ann Kemish - though she was registered as Ellen and christened Lucy Ellen.

We have found a lot of this information in the last couple of months - up to then it was always believed that Lucy Sharp was just a friend who brought my Grandmother up.

I hope somebody can help.