Author Topic: Sinclair/Sutherland/Rosie/Calder?  (Read 24455 times)

Offline bettyespana

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Gt Grandmother-Margaret Dickenson
    • View Profile
Re: Sinclair/Sutherland/Rosie/Calder?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Am also related to Alexander Sinclair and Betty Sutherland but you don't have my great great great grandmother in their list of children, her name was Sidney.  I managed to trace some of her brothers and sisters and Kennedy seemed to be one of them as was Benjamin.  Sidney was born in about 1798.  Cannot find a birth certificate for her but I did find her death certificate and her parents are named on it.
[/

Will send information in a private message.

bettyespana
Lancashire- Moss,Broadbent,Olley,Dobson,Dickenson,
Norfolk-Olley,Knowles,Bunn,Pooley,Scott,Vince
Caithness & Dumfries - Evans,Sinclair,Mackay
Belfast-Antrim - Mackay,Connor,Bunting
Liverpool,Wigan & Southport - Ball,Taylor
Isle of Man - Harp,Dougherty
Cheshire - Dickenson
Knighton,Radnorshire - Evans, Broadhurst
Caithness - Sinclair

Offline peterd500

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stroma61

Email me at  (*)

I am peterd500 who left an explanatory message earlier in the thread at Rootschat which explains things.  We are related if Sidney is your ancestor, via her grandfather James SINCLAIR the chamberlain who married twice.  You descend from his first marriage to Anna ROBERTSON and I descend from his second marriage to Elspet SINCLAIR.   I see that Bettyespana with whom I have corresponded is sending you a private message as well.  I think she descends from Kennedy SINCLAIR a grandson of John SINCLAIR who was a brother to the chamberlain.  Kennedy's parents were Alexander SINCLAIR & Elizabeth SINCLAIR who married 29 Nov 1793 at Wick parish.

You have mixed up two Alexander SINCLAIRs who were in fact first cousins to each other who each married in the same period.  Sidney SINCLAIR and Kennedy SINCLAIR were second cousins.  Benjamin 10 Apr 1802 is user-contributed LDS patron data (which is the only place the name appears) and is therefore suspect - I think he is actually Kennedy who was baptised 10 Apr 1802.  I've seen the register on microfilm and it definitely says Kennedy not Benjamin.

Sidney SINCLAIR was the daughter of Alexander SINCLAIR & Elizabeth SUTHERLAND also known as Betty MCRYRIE (I think she married MCRYRIE first) who married 02 Jan 1789  at Latheron parish.  Sidney married James LAING.  I have made good progress with the her descendants recently including contacted a couple in the US and some in a branch that went to London.

I have also contacted descendants of Sidney's brother James SINCLAIR who married Catherine SUTHERLAND. and her brother George SINCLAIR who married Francisina SINCLAIR.

It looks like James LAING was from Morayshire which is why you may have had trouble finding out anything about him.

peterd500

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Stroma61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the information on the Sinclairs.  I have been trying to find out about them for years but have never managed to get any further back than Alexander.  The funny thing is one of my mother's aunt's used to tell the story of the family being descended from the Earl but we just thought it was a story.
  The only information I have about Sidney Laing was from her death certificate and the fact she died a pauper aged 86 in Latheron. Her nephew James was the informant on the death certificate.  The name Sidney has been in my family since.  One of my grandfather's sisters was called Sidney and so was one of his aunts.  An uncle was called Sinclair so they kept the names in the family.

Offline bettyespana

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Gt Grandmother-Margaret Dickenson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the information on the Sinclairs.  I have been trying to find out about them for years but have never managed to get any further back than Alexander.  The funny thing is one of my mother's aunt's used to tell the story of the family being descended from the Earl but we just thought it was a story.
  The only information I have about Sidney Laing was from her death certificate and the fact she died a pauper aged 86 in Latheron. Her nephew James was the informant on the death certificate.  The name Sidney has been in my family since.  One of my grandfather's sisters was called Sidney and so was one of his aunts.  An uncle was called Sinclair so they kept the names in the family.

I see that Peter Dillon has contacted you about your Sinclairs.As Peter has done more research within the family & has far more experience than myself I think he would be the best person for you to contact.The info he gave me was indeed of great help to me & I wish you well in your searches.

Happy New Year
Betty
Lancashire- Moss,Broadbent,Olley,Dobson,Dickenson,
Norfolk-Olley,Knowles,Bunn,Pooley,Scott,Vince
Caithness & Dumfries - Evans,Sinclair,Mackay
Belfast-Antrim - Mackay,Connor,Bunting
Liverpool,Wigan & Southport - Ball,Taylor
Isle of Man - Harp,Dougherty
Cheshire - Dickenson
Knighton,Radnorshire - Evans, Broadhurst
Caithness - Sinclair

Offline gemma o

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 28 March 11 22:00 BST (UK) »
hi peterd500.
 i have just been looking at what you have wrote here about the sinclair/rosies familys,
i know this was written quite a while ago but wondering if you can help me on the rosies,
i had been told that a decendant of mine alexander rosie married marjery sinclair, and her parents where john sinclair b1721 and elizabeth rosie b1728. all i have found out is alexander rosie was
maybe the son of my 3or4 great grandparents, i am still looking into this but any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you for reading my message.
  my kindest regards..........jean............. :)

Offline peterd500

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 08:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean

Unfortunately I am unable to help.

Peter

Offline canuckscot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 16:51 BST (UK) »
To Gemma,

I don't know if it's your family but I have a reference to a John Sinclair (christened 15Oct1721 in Canisbay) married to a Bess Rosie. John's parents were William Sinclair & Margaret Sinclair. Bess' parents were Alexander Rosie & Margaret Kennedy.

The children of John & Bess were Catherine (b1750), William (b1753), Mary (b1760), Alexander (b1763), Walter (b1765) and John (b1768).

Only further info I have is on Catherine's & Walter's line

Bruce
Caithness: Jack, Manson, Sinclair, Mowat
Inverness, Western Isles: MacDonald, MacAulay, Boyd
Lochaber: MacMillan
Sutherland: Nicholson