Author Topic: James Thomas Carter, New York to Canada  (Read 1136 times)

Offline KayP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
James Thomas Carter, New York to Canada
« on: Tuesday 03 October 06 01:38 BST (UK) »
I am having trouble with this ancestor of mine.  His name was James Thomas Carter and he was the son of James Thomas Carter, possibly a farmer born in Scotland, and Mary Agnes McLaughlin, also born in Scotland. 

James Jnr was either born in 1877 in Scotland or in 1883 in Rome, New York????  He married Mary Ellen Anthony in 1913 in Barkerville BC and that had the Rome, NY place of birth but his death certificate says he was born in Scotland in 1877.  On his marriage certificate his parents names are given but on his death certificate they are not known - perhaps the informant did not have that information and also mixed up his date and place of birth?

He may have arrived in Canada in 1908 but I cannot find out if that was from New York or Scotland.  He was a gold miner.

Can anyone help me?  How can I track him down and find out how he got to Canada or even USA?

Thanks for any offerings, Kay
ALLEY (Wiltshire); HOLLAND (Lancashire); WEIR (Scotland), SUTHERLAND (Scotland); PROSSER (Brecon); PRYOR (Cornwall); ANTHONY (Cornwall); FRY (Somerset)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: James Thomas Carter, New York to Canada
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Kay,

There is a James Carter, of Scotch orgin, born in USA in 1889 who arrived in Canada in 1908 on the 1911 cencus in British Columbia?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline KayP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: James Thomas Carter, New York to Canada
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 02:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen

Any idea how I can find out if that is the James Thomas Carter I am interested in?

Thanks Kay
ALLEY (Wiltshire); HOLLAND (Lancashire); WEIR (Scotland), SUTHERLAND (Scotland); PROSSER (Brecon); PRYOR (Cornwall); ANTHONY (Cornwall); FRY (Somerset)