Author Topic: JOHNSTONE family in Dundee  (Read 3022 times)

Offline bambie

• My email address is not working sorry.
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JOHNSTONE family in Dundee
« on: Saturday 30 September 06 07:34 BST (UK) »
hi have a family who lived in dundee Johnstone - thomas johnstone and elizabeth cullen and all their children
is there anyone who can tell me anything about where they went
was a caird and ferguson there children married later on - thanks bambie

Offline Betty Boo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
johnstone family in dundee
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 October 06 02:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Bambie,

Sorry nobody can help you if you don't give them any information, when did
Thomas Johnstone and Elizabeth Cullen marry?  Do you have the family in any census?? if so give the information please it will hep!!  How many children did the have, do you have their names and dates of birth??

Have you tried searching on Scotlands People??

Elizabeth

Offline bambie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 October 06 06:21 BST (UK) »
johnston in dundee
elizabeth cullen (wife born 27/5/1842 guernsey channel island
Thomas Johnston born 1840 northumberland berwick on tweed they married 18 feb 1861 berwick on tweed
their children
john johnston born 1862 berwick on tweed
mary jane johnstone b 2/10/1863 edinburgh
thomas johnstone b 29/6/1867 edinburgh
helen winter johnstone b 19/5/1869 edinburgh
margaret johnstone b 8/12/1871 forfar dundee
goerge johnstone b 3/5/1874 forfar dundee
william johnstone b 1877 forfar dundee

cannot find them on the 1901 census - yes been into scotlandspeople and got some info - but nothing after 1801 census - so any help would be great - thanks bambie

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 October 06 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hi again Bambie,

I take it you mean this is the 1881 census above on the Johnston family, not 1801 as you said.
If so it is wrong, I just checked the 1881 census for Dundee and the family are there but the information you have above is not correct. Where did you find this information?
I can also tell you why you haven't been able to find them in any later census!!
Are you in the UK Bambie?? We are always on here at different times so I thought maybe you were abroad somewhere.

Elizabeth

Offline bambie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 06:34 BST (UK) »
hi elizabeth - I am in west australia - and I am sure the 1881 census is correct as I got it from the dundee library as I could not find them in scotlandspeople - elizabeth cullen and thomas johnston although in the 1881 census thomas was dead by then but if you would care to send me what you have would be grateful - as I am in the outback in west australia and have no access to anything except what I get through the computer - which is a god send to me I can get into sites and this one I was given by a friend and I find it so great - also a member of the Genes Reunited where I find a godsend as well - sorry for any trouble I am causing - would appreciate any help I can get on them as I have had such a lot of anxiety and frustration with this side of the tree - thanking you bambie

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 14:30 BST (UK) »

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: johnstone family in dundee
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Bambie,

I am a member of Genes Reunited too, have been for several years, the main problem is trying to find websites for Scottish relatives.
There is only Scotlands People but many of the member of GR have BIVRI discs which can help with searching Scottish families, even IGI does help a little.

I am not sure why your Johnstone family have a young child with a different surname, maybe the mother married again, I don't know how much information you have on this.  This may be why you can't find them in the 1901 census, if she married, the family could be under a different name.

Elizabeth