Author Topic: Charles Cornelius Plunket/t  (Read 6934 times)

Offline plunquet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Cornelius Plunket/t
« on: Wednesday 04 October 06 03:46 BST (UK) »
Last night I was reading through my ggrandfather's diary for 1855 and he mentions for the 19th of April that it was the date his father, the abovenamed Charles Cornelius Plunket, died in 1838.

Although he spent some time abroad in his younger days in the Swiss Regiment de Salis and in Malta in the Royal Regiment (as ensign 1804 then as lieut.1805) I believe he died in England but have no idea of whereabouts.

Can anybody give me any hints how/where I could search for a record of his death?

I'm new to this and I really wish I'd listened more to my mother!

Thanks

Plunquet

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Cornelius Plunket/t
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hi
If he died in England there is a good chance that the death was registered (though it was not a legal requirement until later) so you should look for the death certificate.  You can search the index free on www.ancestry.co.uk.  Choose the complete version not the freeBMD which is incomplete - though worth a look as it might be one of the ones they have transcribed so far.   Wills are another option.  Try the documentsonline site from the PRO and see if he shows up in the pre1858 wills they have online.  Again it is not full coverage but you might be lucky.
Census records from 1841 onwards are also on ancestry but you have to pay to access those.  Finding your ggrandfather on those might show where they lived.
Andrea

Offline plunquet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 October 06 01:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help. I did find my ggrandfather James Plunket and his brother Charles on the 1841 census at Sedgley Park School but so far nothing about their father other than a reference to him in the Malta family history site.

Oh well, back to trying to think about some alternative way of finding him.

Thanks again!

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 October 06 08:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you searched  www.ancestry.co.uk  as Sillgen suggested, did you notice that there is a Plunkett out of alphabetical order at the bottom of the page http://content.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=8966&iid=ONS_D18382NZ-0183&fn=&ln=Record+from+England+%26+Wales%2c+Death+Index%3a+1837-1983&st=d&ssrc=&pid=7800

It could be Charles, writing's a bit iffy, but the area is Southampton.

happy hunting
Bee :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline plunquet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 October 06 23:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you Bee. I presume you mean the Charles Plinskett in Southampton in 1838? This could be a possibility as, although we have nothing definite he is reputed to have been at various times in that area.

Plinskett is such a funny name that when I googled it, google asked me if I didnt mean plunkett! It certainly didnt come up with anything.

I'm not sure where I should go from here. Will the record of his death tell me his wife and childrens names? That might be the only way I can confirm or eliminate him.

Thanks for your assistance.

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 October 06 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Plunquet,

'Plinskett'  :o is that what it said? ;D

No, a death cert won't tell you his wife and childrens' names, but with a bit of luck and a prevailing wind the person who is named as the informant of the death will be a relative, maybe even the wife.

It might be one these times when you just have to buy the certificate and keep fingers crossed that when it arrives it's the right one

good luck
Bee :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 October 06 09:37 BST (UK) »
It will also hopefully give you an age at death, which will help with finding his birth. Also an address where he died, so you may want to find where he is buried.

You may need to take this a step at a time, or indeed you may have already done this. Do you know the date of birth and place of birth of his children? And from there his wife's maiden name and then date and place of his marriage, and age at marriage?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 October 06 09:59 BST (UK) »
If it were PLINSKETT, it wouldn't be indexed on the PLUMMER to PODD page.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline plunquet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 October 06 21:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the input Geoff.

I presumed it was plinskett because that was what I found when I trawled thru the site. I couldn't access the page Bee posted and I thought it was probably because I needed to pay and at the present moment on this computer I cant access secure sites. (need to get the security settings changed!).

So do you mean that she has found another Plunkett out of order?

I think I need to get this computer sorted so I can check!

btw even if the Plinskett isn't right it is an interesting name with no other obvious connections.