Author Topic: Charles Cornelius Plunket/t  (Read 6936 times)

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Cornelius Plunket/t
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 October 06 22:11 BST (UK) »
So do you mean that she has found another Plunkett out of order?

There's a mark in the column of names indicating it should come between

PLUNKETT Augustin John
and
PLUNKETT John

Even increasing the size of the image to maximum, I can't be sure it says "Charles" (it could be, I think it begins with C)

The reference is Q2 1838 Southampton VII 137

The National Burial Index is no help ... it is very poor for Hants.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline plunquet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 October 06 22:21 BST (UK) »
Ahhh, that's the reference to the plinskett name I found. It does sound a distinct possibility as it is the right quarter and as I said there seem to be some links with Southampton. I shall order the certificate then...but actually can you tell me where I should get it from ie the GRO or the Hants record.

Thank you for your help.

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 October 06 08:06 BST (UK) »
I shall order the certificate then...but actually can you tell me where I should get it from ie the GRO or the Hants record.

That's a matter of personal preference ... this is the online address for the GRO

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 October 06 08:55 BST (UK) »

The reference is Q2 1838 Southampton VII 137

Bear in mind that this reference is GRO's, you'll probably find that the Hants record office has a different reference number for the same certificate.

I don't know about Hants, but my local office sends certs by return of post but the downside of this is that though they are neatly typed, it is the typists version of what they see or think they see in the register.  I prefer my certs from GRO as there is one less chance of a transcription error.
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline plunquet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 07 March 07 03:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your help regarding this death certificate. I have finally obtained a copy and tho it's difficult to read I am sure it is the right man.

Of course it doesnt help much because there is no info regarding parents or place of birth but it does describe his occupation as Count of the Holy Roman Empire! How can you find out about that?

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 07 March 07 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Count of the Holy Roman Empire! How can you find out about that?

try googling that phrase  :D

not sure if you'll find mention of your relative, it's all a bit heavy going for this time of a morning,

Bee :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline artfox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 02:52 GMT (UK) »
Of course it doesnt help much because there is no info regarding parents or place of birth but it does describe his occupation as Count of the Holy Roman Empire! How can you find out about that?

The Catholic Encyclopedia states:

"The titles range all the way from prince to baron inclusive, and are bestowed by the pope as temporal sovereign. The title ordinarily conferred is that of count prefixed to the family name, which title is either merely personal or transferable by right of primogeniture in the male line."

Offline artfox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 03:01 GMT (UK) »
In 1884 a possibly unrelated George Noble Plunkett was created a Papal Count by Pope Leo XIII for donating money and property to the Sisters of the Little Company of Mary, a Roman Catholic nursing order. No connection has been established to Charles Cornelius Plunket

What I have located so far:
Charles Cornelius Plunket was born about 1772 said to be of Waterford, Ireland.

On 31 Jan 1805 Charles married Harriet Villebois/Villebors/Villibers at Lymington, Hampshire. They had two children:
. Charles Francis Plunkett (1805 Malta – 1807 Malta) d.inf
. Harriet Maria Elizabeth Plunkett (1809 Malta – 1864)
Harriet Plunket nee Villebois died on  6 Oct 1821 at Rosehill House Milbrook, Southampton, Hampshire, England.

Charles Cornelius Plunket was married secondly in 1825 to Mary Josephine Green at Southampton, Hampshire, England. They had three children:
. Charles Thomas Cornelius Plunket (1826-1902) m. Mary Clara Mullaly (1823-1910) daughter of Thomas Mullaly (1791-1843 and Jane Hudson (1793-1858)
. James Francis Truman Plunket (1831-1917) m. Catherine Marie Prestage (1835-1917)
. Mary Jane Plunkett (1834-1916) m. Michael J Keogh (1827-1874) son of Ignatius Keogh (1772-1851) and Frances Arabella French (1790-1862)

Charles and James are styled as "Count" in their obituaries/BDM notices.

Charles Cornelius Plunket died 19 Apr 1838 aged 66 at Southampton, Hampshire, England.

Offline KiwiPeter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Looking for my elusive dad Harry J Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 08 May 20 19:15 BST (UK) »
HI, I know its been 4 years, but did you get any further with the Plunket/t line.
I noticed I had some Plunkett in my tree the other day, but I am just starting.

Kind regards
Peter
Hill, Smith, Barnaby, Bassett, Batkin, Woolley