Author Topic: amos and golby  (Read 4516 times)

Offline iris green

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
amos and golby
« on: Wednesday 04 October 06 14:33 BST (UK) »
olor=Blue][/color]     hello all, hoping someone can helpus? trying to trace my  mil line back. she was edith may amos 1921-2005 b redhill surry, her sister b1923  riegate, on their birth certs it said that their mum  maud amos was a hawker, no dads name.maud wasborn c1882, place n/k. maud also had 3 other children... maud  c1902... matthew c1904.. alice c1905 their dad was matthew golby c1882....we dont think he and maud married( just to make things harder).we (my neice)and i would be glad of any help you can give us, thank you , iris ???
amos. golby, mitchel/ michel, brown. mackellow

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: amos and golby
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 15:25 BST (UK) »

Can you tell us where maud (1902) matthew and alice were born?.
Were their births registered (do you know) , and under which surname?

Indexes are free at www.ancestry.co.uk

1901 census has two candidates (at least)
first b 1882 suffolk, servant in Kensington
Another b 1880 suffolk, servant in suffolk.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline iris green

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 15:36 BST (UK) »
pauline, we dont know where they were born,  we know that maud was not reg, not sure about the others.               iris

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 15:42 BST (UK) »
 Winging ity a bit 'ere.

In the death indexes there's a Matthew Golby b 1904, died age ~79 (1984) in Surrey.

D'you think he may be 'yours'?

The mostly complete birth registrations for that period (on freebmd) only show
Matthew Amos (births) Dec 1904

one in Dorking (Surrey) and another in Dorchester (Dorset).

I''l see what else I can find.

Alice amos b Dec 1907 Dorking (May be the sibling)

There's also a Caroline in 1910.

No Maud showing up there though.

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline iris green

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 October 06 13:03 BST (UK) »
pauline, sorry to be so long getting back to you,  its strange you should say you found a caroline, as my oh has just reminded me  he had a aunt carrie (caroline),? which i had forgotten about, wether she was amos or golby i dont know, can i ask how you found her?and thank you for your help.....iris :)

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 October 06 13:59 BST (UK) »

Caroline b 1910 was Caroline Amos. I used freebmd/GRO indexes at www.ancestry.co.uk

It certainly looks like the 'right' Amos kids were the ones b Dorking way . Don't know what their birth certs would say without buying them.

Don't really know where else we can take this without knowing where Maud B~1880s came from.

Pauline

Offline iris green

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 October 06 14:16 BST (UK) »
yes pauline , they do look like the right ones, im just e mail ing my neiceto see what she thinks, thank you for your help..iris

Offline julia.julibob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Nanny with her mum Maud Amos/Golby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 October 06 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hello all, I am Iris's niece.

All I know is that Maud (2nd), Matthew and Caroline were all the children of Matthew Golby. I also know for certain that Maud (2nd) was NOT registered at birth, as when applying for her pension, they found no records!!!  :'(

There is so much confusion surrounding this, and there is no-one who remembers anything anymore. I was told that My Grandmother and Alice had a different father and were both registered as Amos and born a decade after their other 3 siblings!!! I also found Matthew Amos/Golby and assumed him to be one and the same.

To confuse things further, after being told than Nanny and Alice had a different father, I ordered Nanny's birth and marriage certificate. The birth cert has Maude Ellen Golby (Mother) as a Licensed Hawker and no mention of a father, but on her Marriage Cert in 1939, it has father listed as Matthew Amos - Deceased!!!???? So, was Matthew Amos actually Matthew Golby, but my G.Grandmother (Maud Ellen Amos) did not understand the nature of surnames and registrations, that she used both surnames without thinking? Perhaps we will never get to the bottom of it.

I have also spoken to Maude (the 2nd)'s daughter who remembers her talking of music and singing at horse fairs as a child. I have no doubt that Matthew Golby/Amos was certainly a Romany Traveller, and that Maud (1st) possibly joined him as I understand that she worked as a maid for a well-to-do family in her younger teenage years.

Hope this may help someone help us furher.

Julia
DWYER/O'DWYER (Tiperrary, Ireland/Tonbridge, Kent) SHILLING (kent), HIDER/HYDER (Sussex), TOMPSETT (Brenchley), GREEN (Paddock Wood/Capel/Hertford/Essex), AMOS (Surrey/Kent),GOLBY (Surrey/Sussex), LUCAS (Kent/Sussex), LYNE (Lewisham/Catford/Kent), PEACOCK (Sevenoaks/Edenbridge), BRAZIL/BRAZILL/BRAZEILL (Surrey/Kent/Sussex/Cornwall/Hants)

Offline alcgoytre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 May 19 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Not sure if anyone is still looking at this thread? I'm pretty certain that I can link Matthew back to William Goolby/Golby b 1750ish if you are interested?
He married Susannah Arnold, they had at least 11 children and I have descendants for most. William was my gx4 grandfather on my mum's side.
Anyway let me know if you are still interested and we can arrange to swap info?
all the best,
Anne