Author Topic: Can anyone identify this Location  (Read 22666 times)

Offline kateblogs

• RootsChat Member
  • Youth is wasted on the young
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone identify this Location
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 05 October 06 20:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kate,its really bugging me who they are! The photo looks like where my ancestors were from,but I bet they didn't know people like that!!

Just a thought, but could your relative be the person taking the picture? Maybe a photographer, or photographers assistant?

Kate

GILBY - Essex, Warwickshire and Cambridgeshire
OWENS - Yorkshire (West Riding) and Ireland
PUGH - Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Cheshire, and Nottinghamshire
RYLANDS - Liverpool and Ireland

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 05 October 06 20:31 BST (UK) »
Have you tried contacting the local family history society or perhaps a local newspaper if you think it is somewhere in the West Riding area?

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 05 October 06 22:47 BST (UK) »
More thoughts to ponder.
The 'eaves' are not eaves, they are stone supports for the guttering. There are lots of them around Bradford, Leeds and surrounding areas. I noticed half a dozen houses with them this evening on a short run to my son's house at Wilsden.
 Have I missed a post ? where did the Clock / Bell tower come from ?
The clock/bell tower is a bit like the one at Chatsworth House
Denns suggestion that dry stone walling can be identified down to a few miles. I do know that different areas have different styles but the areas are pretty wide spread, more county to county. It is even possible to tell where one person left off and another took over but again that isn't much help in this case. The coping stones on the wall in the foreground overhang the wall I believe that they may be of more use in identifying the location.
Could be a row of terraced houses there several fall pipes showing and the only gate that we can see is very much off-set from the center. There are buildings to the rear of and in front of the 'house' I don't know what to make of those. The grass could give an indication of the type of soil and from that possible locations. I've no idea from who or where you could find that information.

Dave

Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 05 October 06 23:23 BST (UK) »

I think the answers given are brilliant (and correct)

Now dave - how come you missed the housemaid looking over the wall - back right?!  ;D

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 05 October 06 23:58 BST (UK) »
There may be two other people in the picture to the right and over the wall or it might just be my old eyes getting tired  ...... today at 13:21:43
didn't know there was an housemaid though   :D

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 06 October 06 01:17 BST (UK) »
Some of my further thoughts,

Not a flood plain as suggested by Dave - the ground rises too soon

Not a group who have just stopped for a photo shoot - why do it here in front of some strangers home/homes when there are better locations. I think the location was specifically chosen.

Am I blind? I cant see a demijohn

The tassles on the gent's umbrella have me intrigued, I believe that they may have some significance

If it wasn't for the child in the pic' I would have said that it was a Civic event and that the tassles denoted some civic standing.

Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 06 October 06 01:51 BST (UK) »
I think that the bottle/demijohn is nothing more than a pipe,
    held by the old man with the "brolly"

Tomkin

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 06 October 06 08:05 BST (UK) »
Denn I think you could be right about the floodplain then again the glacial ice flows from the last ice age ended about the Leeds level so much of the landscape to the North was formed by that occurrence.

Demijohn - I did say a small one, no idea what it would be called but I think I can make out a bottle with a glass 'ring' at the top.

Offline Andy001

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 06 October 06 08:30 BST (UK) »
I think this is either somewhere someone definitely recognises or doesn't!!

I did wonder if it was more than one house,after looking at every farm/manor house and hall in West Yorkshire,I realised it has a lot more windows than 'usual',even quite large farmhouses only had 2 or maybe 3 windows at the top.
Perhaps it's not even as rural as it looks,there may be a whole village out of shot!!

Good idea about the photographer,Kate,but none of mine were as far as I know.

And I thought they looked a bit civicy/official too!! And the bloke on the right has definitely brought a bottle of something along!!
West Midlands;Manchester;Halifax;Wadsworth;<br />Denholme;Aberdeen;Leeds;Oxford;Ludgershall;Bletchingdon<br /><br />Watson,Pollitt,Briggs,Purcell,Byron,Clancy,McNulty,Hartley,Spencer,Whyte,Worth,Mills,Cripps,Howson,Wright