Author Topic: COX from Covington/Catworth area  (Read 10005 times)

Offline damiancox

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COX from Covington/Catworth area
« on: Thursday 05 October 06 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone here has been researching the Cox family from Covington.

I've got as far back as my Great Great Great Grandfather, Thomas Cox, who was born in 1786 and lived in Covington in 1841. However, he wasn't born in Huntingdonshire according to the 1841 census.

I know he married twice, first to Rebekah (or Rebeckah) Baker, who died age 33 in 1818, he then married Elizabeth Warner of Titchmarsh in 1820, with whom he lived in Covington in 1841.

If anyone can give me any advice on how I can find Thomas Cox I would be very grateful. I've tried familysearch.org without success, and have also been to Huntingdon Records Office. I do know that he was buried in the Thrapston district on 15/2/1847, and am hopefully going to get his death certificate, but I'm not sure that will provide any further insight as to who his parents were.

For information, other surnames that link to the Cox family in this area are Baker, King (from Irthlingborough), Warner and James.
Cox from Covington and Catworth, Huntingdonshire, 1786 - 1900's

Cox from Liverpool, 1880 - present

Baker from Covington, Huntingdonshire, 1786-1800's

Warner from Titchmarsh, 1790-1810

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: COX from Covington/Catworth area
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 November 06 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have a Mary BAKER  born c.1812 Great Catworth wonder if she was related? Unfortunately the Great Catworth records are still held by the Parish Church so you would have to visit there.

I also have COX from Newton Bromswold 

Also Susan JAMES born circa 1851 in Warboys to Thomas & Elizabeth James.
ALL have a connection to my Fair(e)y family!
Cheers
Marlene
HUNTS: Fairy, Ding, Scotney, Swinton, Burgess, Brace
BEDS: Farey, Fairy,  Young, Rootham, Gell, Wildman, Cooper. Deighton, Flavel.
NORTHANTS: Hills, Mobbs, Twelftrees,
DERBY: Fairey,
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WATFORD HERTS; Burgess, Williams
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,
WORCS: Callow, Lowe

Offline damiancox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 November 06 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dale,

Thanks for your reply.

There could definitely be a few links there, they all seem to be in the same area. I have also found a lot of Cox's in the Stevington (Bedfordshire), area that I'm looking into, found a link through a witness to my great great great great grandfathers marriage).

I visited Covington and Catworth earlier in the year with my father and went to the church's, and there were loads of gravestones with Fair(e)y's on them. Unfortunately we couldn't find any Cox's.

Thanks again for the info, I'll do some research and see if I can find links.

Damian

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 November 06 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Fascinated to hear you found loads of Fairey headstones _ I have been told there were none in Gt Catworth . Were the ones you saw in Covington?
I'd be pleased  to know!
Marlene in New Zealand
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,

Offline damiancox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 November 06 22:34 GMT (UK) »
They possibly were all in Covington, but I'm sure there were also some in Catworth. I'm hoping to go for another visit sometime soon, so I'll check it out for you. I'll try to get some photo's too if you like?

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 November 06 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Just out of interest Damian,  do you have a Susannah Cox b 1812 who married Thomas Partridge of Eaton Socon in 1834 ? & she died in 1839 - possibly in childbirth in Staploe, Beds.

regards John
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline damiancox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 November 06 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

I do have a Susannah Cox in my tree, born in 1812 in Covington to Thomas Cox and Rebeccah Baker. Rebeccah died shortly after giving birth I believe in 1818 along with their newborn child, and Thomas died in 1847. Both lived in Covington, Hunts.

There is a strong possibility that Susannah married Thomas Partridge, she was born at the right time in the right area, and trying to find her on the 1841 census was unsuccessful, so either she died prior to this (which would match with your records), or she married someone else, and so would no longer be Susannah Cox.

I've got your message through GenesReunited and have given you access to my tree. I've struggled to get any further back than Susannah's parents, though I've managed to find a strong link to Stevington in Bedfordshire, where an "Ann Pack" married a Cox. One of the witnesses to Susannah's parents was William Pack, so it's quite likely that they are linked. If this is the case, then Susannah's grandparents would have been Thomas and Elizabeth Cox, born in Finedon, Northants. I'm still trying to sort this part of the tree out though, trying to figure out who is who.

Regards,

Damian

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 November 06 05:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Damian
I'd love any photos you could get - thank you very much for offering.
If you have  digital camera and are going to Catworth you might like to film these marriages

Thomas Fairey to MARY BAKER  28 Jan 1833
RICHARD BAKER to Mariann Fairy 7 Sept 1834

which might fit into your tree at some stage.

:)of course I'd love a copy! ;D

You could solve a huge mystery for me if you could capture a marriage between Thomas Fairey and Hannah Linnell in the March Qtr 1865 but that might be pushing my luck!!
Many many thanks for your offer.
Regards
Marlene in NZ

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 November 06 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Damian

I hope you don't mind if I butt in on this correspondence, but like Marlene, I have Fair(e)y ancestors from Gt Catworth.  My ancestor William Fairy was baptised there 19th May 1776, son of Sarah.  If you are looking at parish records and gravestones there for the Fair(e)y family, I wonder if you can find a marriage for Sarah - no father's name is given for William, so we don't know if she was married at the time - or perhaps a gravestone.  Marlene and I have been trying to find the elusive clue which would link our two families for some time now.

Incidentally, my gt-grandmother Annie Ambridge Fairey married a John Cox in Easton in 1884,  but sadly I don't know if he was part of the Covington Cox family. 

Regards,
Gill   :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.