Author Topic: Craigielands Hall, Beattock  (Read 21068 times)

Offline jorrie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Craigielands Hall, Beattock
« Reply #18 on: Friday 25 March 11 11:40 GMT (UK) »
tks for your relpy i have been down that road and it wasnt a match, so keep searching i guess

Offline jorrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 01 April 11 15:04 BST (UK) »
hi  i have been looking for david scott b1827 and cant find no trace, the only clue i have on were he comes from is craigland village,dumfirshire and his fathers name was john a labourer. david moved to south shileds in 1841 to live with  his uncles fam daivid maxwell , so i have found it difficult to trace him back before then and hit the brick wall, only clue i have is that he was born in craiglands , anyone any ideas, would be very grateful tks

Offline norvals

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 11 February 13 15:53 GMT (UK) »
I suspect the reference is to Craigielands Hill, which is the farmstead above the woodland overlooking Craigielands House on the west. This was used as the residence of the farm manager, but there were several families living in it. My great great grandfather, James Hope, was farm manager there in the 1890s through to about 1920, after which Thomas Quigley was farm manager. When the estate was broken up Thomas Quigley became the tenant farmer.

What is your greatgrandfather's family background? I have a load of Hopes in the Sanquhar area.

Offline longshanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 12 May 13 19:41 BST (UK) »
Moved in to area from Westerkirk, with wife and daughters, at about 30, so no Sanquhar connection I'm afraid. I merely provided the information who was there to clarify the occupancy of Craigielandshill. There are pockets of Hopes, Hoops, Houps etc in various parts of Dumfriesshire.
Beattie,Edwards,Hope,Jarman,McLuckie, Meason, Murray, Summers, Welsh, Wilde, Wemyss, Wright

Offline Maurazel

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 17 December 15 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Longshanks
you say your grandmother lived at Braehead Craigielands - was it not Braeside Craigielands? There are two semi/ detached houses which were the coach men's houses of Craigielands Estate I think.

Offline Leys Geddes

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 08 October 16 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone.  I've just found you all here.  My Grandparents, John Leys and Gertrude Elizabeth Geddes, bought Craigielands House from the Forman Family in 1939.  The Formans then moved to Dumcrieff.  My Grandparents lived at Craigielands until the end of 1945, when my Grandfather died.  He was only 51 and died young because he had been shot through the head at Gallipoli, whilst fighting with the Royal Scots.  My Granny then moved to Craigie Lodge in Moffat, where she died in 1974.  My father, Thomas Leys Geddes, lived in the south from the end of WW2 and, although he had wanted to return to Scotland, my mother, Eileen Geddes, who was from Yorkshire, said no! When he died, in 1994, he was buried with his father and mother, at Kirkpatrick Juxta.  My father's brother, William Leys Geddes, is still alive at 92, and lives near Hereford.  Although I was born in Edinburgh, and went to school there, I too have lived in the south for nearly all of my life.  But I'm delighted to say that I will very shortly be moving back to Moffat.

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 08 October 16 23:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you Leys Geddes for the lovely photo and recollections of your family.  How wonderful that you are also able to move back to a place that means so much to you!

Kind regards,
Andrea
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies

Offline nenepops

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 22 October 18 15:20 BST (UK) »
My husbands great grandfather used to live at Cragielands Village.
Robert Scott b1866 Beattock.