Author Topic: Craigielands Hall, Beattock  (Read 21014 times)

Offline grendlsmother

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Craigielands Hall, Beattock
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 September 07 18:31 BST (UK) »
That's also very interesting.   There is an entry on the same page for people living in Craiglands Village.   There are two versions of the register, (they list identical names and dates, so are not separate listings of banns) one register lists the residence of both bride and groom; the other just listing where they were married.   I have the Kirkpatrick Juxta marriages from Jan 1818 to mid 1822 and they cover a very wide area: Wamphray, Leadhills, Moffat, Beattock, Elvanfoot, Palaceknowe, Coalsyett, Milton, Redhall and many more.  So if anyone has a lost soul who may have married in that area between those dates, I can have a look for you.
Ayrshire: McCormick (mack); McFadzean; Kerr; Brown; Paton; McGregor; McDonald; Moffat; Connel; Bone
Dumfries/Lanarks: (pre-1840) McDonald; Moffat; Bone; Hamilton; Hyslop; Sandiland; Bredwood; Kerr; Brown
Ireland (pre-1820) McCormick (Monaghan)

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 October 07 11:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks everybody, I've only just seen all the replies, they are very helpful. Amazing what info turns up from one question!!
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies

Offline hdenton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 January 10 23:27 GMT (UK) »
My 1st cousin 4 times removed, William Colvin, was a successful businessman who spent at least part of his childhood in Glasgow. He bought the estate of Craigielands, and lived in Craigielands House, where he died in 1880.

His father was minister of Johnstone parish, and the family came from Sanquhar.

Craigielands was not otherwise Colvin property.

Norval Smith

Offline hdenton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 January 10 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Norval,

Phew, this is a hard site to get around.

I'm wondering whether your William Colvin had a sister, Mary Hope Johnstone Colvin, who married one of my lot - Alexander Warren Buttery - in Lanarkshire 1839? 

Helena Denton

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline bmcgaw

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 March 10 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hope that you are still active with regards to the subject.
I was born in Moffat and lived for 13 years in one of the two 'Coachman's Houses in Craigielands Village (Beattock Back Village) before moving to live in Moffat.
The hall in Question is on the West side (as per the plan) of the original A74 Carlisle to Glasgow Road.  The hall and houses on the west side of the main road were built by the owners of Craigielands House, those on the east side were built by the owner of Beattock House.

Offline B-Colvin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 September 10 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hello - I'm new to this site and I found the thread of Craigielands quite interesting.

You are right in that William Colvin, who is my Great Grand Uncle, had a sister Mary Hope Johnstone Colvin among others. She did indeed marry an Alexander Warren Buttery on or near the 4th June 1839 at Johnstone by her father the Rev Dr Robert Colvin.

Offline norvals

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 02:14 BST (UK) »
Dear B-Colvin and hdenton,

Kind of lucky that I had a look here when I should have been in bed. Mary Hope Johnstone Colvin is my 1st cousin 4 times removed.  So, I am related to both of you. All I know about her is the date of her birth.

My ancestor is John Colvin (1771-1851), brother of Robert (1779-1851). I have never come across a living Colvin relative, so it is quite a surprise for two to turn up. I'm rather puzzled about their parents.  I understand the father of these two was another Robert, but I have the mother's name as Elizabeth Goldie and Elizabeth Geddes. Perhaps one of you knows more about this?

I am also very interested in following the Colvins down the way.

Norval

Offline jorrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 24 March 11 19:03 GMT (UK) »
i would like to ask glendlsmother if you would look up david scott b 1827 in craigsland his father john scott was an agr labourer, i cand find anything on him but beieve david was born there, dont know mothers or siblings names only his fathers, would be glad of your help.tks

Offline grendlsmother

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 25 March 11 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - I only have the marriage records between 1818/22.   There is no mention of any Scott marriage.

A quick look on IGI shows a David Scott born 1827 to a John Scott and Margaret Murray, but that is in Canonbie.  The family is still there in 1841 with Thomas 16, David 14 and next door, Jessie 6.  IGI showing several other children.

Marriage showing for John and Margaret in 1822 with banns at Langholm and Canonbie.

I realise this is probably not your family but it seems the closest match - and you never know!

GM
Ayrshire: McCormick (mack); McFadzean; Kerr; Brown; Paton; McGregor; McDonald; Moffat; Connel; Bone
Dumfries/Lanarks: (pre-1840) McDonald; Moffat; Bone; Hamilton; Hyslop; Sandiland; Bredwood; Kerr; Brown
Ireland (pre-1820) McCormick (Monaghan)