Author Topic: Completed - At wits end with Irish placenames  (Read 7611 times)

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Completed - At wits end with Irish placenames
« on: Monday 09 October 06 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hello all, I'm depending on one of you rootschatters to save me from going mad.

I have my grandad's birth cert from 1871, which says he was born in Killealease, Kiltegan, Baltinglass, Wicklow.  I need to try & find out which RC church he was likely to have been baptised in, so I can then look there for his parent's marriage & births and so on.

I couldn't find Killealease at all, so contacted the GRO who passed me to Wicklow Health Board, who said it was probably Killalesh.  Now I'm stuck because I cannot find Killalesh either but have spotted a Killalish Upper & Lower. Trouble is, I cannot find these places anywhere on a map.

So, can anyone tell me if I am on the right track with Killalish Upper & Lower being near to Kiltegan & if yes, does anyone happen to know the nearest RC church?  Many thanks, TonyR.
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.

bervonian

Re: At wits end with Irish placenames
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 October 06 17:56 BST (UK) »
After browsing some websites I see that there's the Church of the Assumption, Tynock, Kiltegan which received the remains of a lady whose address was Killalesh, Kiltegan.  The priest is Rev.Joseph Brophy,Kiltegan whose phone number is 059-6473211.  Hope this helps.

Bervonian.

Offline saddles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 October 06 01:33 BST (UK) »

Killalish (upper/lower) is a townland  in the roman catholic parish of Kilranelagh which is 3.5 miles east from baltinglass on the Dublin road.

It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Leighlin, forming part of the union of Kiltegan

The start year for records of Kilranelagh are not listed
but Baltinglass commenced around 1807.

I suggest you contact the dioces of Leighlin and be prepared to be refered to the local heritage centre.

Mike.
Townson - Cartmel                      O'Malley - Askeaton, Ireland
Sadler - Dymock & Salford           Tomlinson - St Peters, Leeds
Wilkinson - Salford                      Chant - Sherbourne, Dorset
Garner - Pendleton

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 October 06 05:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Bervonian & Mike, many thanks to both for your help.  This gives me more to explore, I'm sure I'll find his family one day, fingers crossed.  Regards, TonyR.
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.

Offline saddles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 October 06 05:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony.

looking at your list of names I can tell you that no Rooney a listed in
the Griffiths Valuation Index (1847-1864) for Kilranelagh parish, but
they are in close proximity in Hacketstown and other  parishes and townlands.

Mike.

Townson - Cartmel                      O'Malley - Askeaton, Ireland
Sadler - Dymock & Salford           Tomlinson - St Peters, Leeds
Wilkinson - Salford                      Chant - Sherbourne, Dorset
Garner - Pendleton

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 October 06 15:42 BST (UK) »
TonyR

Kiltegan village is at the very western boundary of Kiltegan parish. Kilranelagh parish is immediately west of Kiltegan parish.  And the Killalish townlands (Lower and, especially, Upper) are very close to Kiltegan village.

So it would seem perfectly reasonable for an address to be Killalish (or variant), Kiltegan, Baltinglass, Wicklow.

Adrian
STEVENSON County Derry;  KINSMAN;  BATTERSBY Dublin

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 October 06 16:11 BST (UK) »
TonyR

To get a flavour of the area, you might like to read two novels by Sebastian Barry: Annie Dunne, and its prequel A Long Long Way.

Adrian
STEVENSON County Derry;  KINSMAN;  BATTERSBY Dublin

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 October 06 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Adrian, you have been busy on my behalf, on here & elsewhere.  Many thanks for all the info, it certainly looks like the right area.  I have contacted the Leighlin diocese re Mike's reply, just waiting for response.  Regards, TonyR.

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Completed - At wits end with Irish placenames
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 December 06 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello all, just an update - I phoned Joe (as he likes to be known) Brophy & he said that his church covered Killalish & offered to look if I wrote to him with details, even though I told him dates / names on the phone.  So I wrote & he replied that his registers only start in 1904 (too late for me) & suggested I contact the Parochial House in Rathvilly, trouble is they never answer the phone!

Meanwhile a rellie went to the National Library of Ireland in Dublin & looked through the Rathvilly film #4189 & bingo, found my grandad's &  six sibling's baptisms, their parent's marriage, but aargh! the pages where the parents' baptisms should be are too feint to read.  So a good result & I shall write to the Parochial House in Rathvilly to check out if the original pages in the registers are legible, fingers-crossed.

Killalish was spelt numerous ways on the film, Killalease as on g-dad's birth cert, Killilish, Kellelesh, Killalish & Killalesh.  I don't think I would have found it without all your help, I've even managed to get a map of the area, so give yourselves a big pat on the back - I'm extremely grateful to everyone for their help.  Regards, Tony.