Author Topic: Irvine Families - Hanvey & Gibson  (Read 4405 times)

Offline plays54

• RootsChat Member
  • ScotlandsPeople www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Irvine Families - Hanvey & Gibson
« on: Tuesday 10 October 06 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am researching related families from the Irvine area of Ayrshire but have become frustrated by the lack of records which should be available from the usual sources.

Catherine HANVEY married a Robert Gibson in Irvine in October 1899 - the record on scotlandspeople is logged however as Harvey though the handwritten entry clearly shows her parents names as HaNvey. I know for sure that Hanvey is correct as a granddaughter of Catherine was given her name (forename and surname) as was the tradition with many Ayrshire families.

I also have a copy of her death record from January 1947 which also correctly gives her name as Hanvey. She died at age 65 so her birth year is somewhere between 1880-85. She does not appear on the 1881 census record for the family, the youngest child being a sister Elizabeth at age 1. All her brothers and sisters are recorded as being born in Irvine.

I am unable to find her birth record from scotlandspeople :(

Her father was a Patrick HANVEY and according to the 1881 census he was born in Ireland. Her mother was an Elizabeth MITCHELL born in Irvine in May 1845 (IGI index). The birth date is supported by her appearance on the 1851 Census records for Irvine at age 6 with parents names matching the IGI Index record. I have both their death records from 1896 and 1908 respectively but the death record for Patrick states he was single whereas the later record for Elizabeth states that she is the widow of Patrick Hanvey. Patrick's death was recorded by his sister Mary Ann KERR (probably married name).
From the 1881 Census details their oldest child is given as Janet Hanvey aged 14 which would give a birth year of circa 1867. Her mother's age at that time would be around 22.

I am unable to find Patrick and Elizabeth's marriage record (circa 1863-1867) from scotlandspeople :(

From the 1881 Census details I have children Janet (14), Margaret (12), James (7), George (4), and Elizabeth (1), that is years 1867 through to 1880. Despite that I am unable to trace/find any of their birth records from scotlandspeople ???

If anyone out there is also researching these families or can help with the missing details it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

plays54
SMITH - Fife (Cupar, Dairsie, Logie, Leuchars) - Glasgow - NZ (Otega, Balclutha, Palmerston North, Gisborne).
O'BYRNE - Ireland - Glasgow (Partick)
BELL - Ireland - Glasgow (Whiteinch, Partick, Govan) - Australia (Victoria - Carlisle River)(Queensland-Kilcoy)
McCUE - Ireland - Glasgow (Clyde, Clydebank, Duntocher)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Irvine Families - Hanvey & Gibson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 October 06 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Plays54

Patrick and Elizabeth Mitchell may well not have been married (although Elizabeth shows as a widow in her DC). Using the batch codes for Irvine on IGI shows the following birth entries:

1. MARGARET HANVY  Birth: 09 AUG 1868 Irvine, Ayr, Scotland
2. JAMES MITCHELL Birth: 03 APR 1874 Irvine, Ayr, Scotland
3. JOHN MITCHELL Birth: 06 JAN 1872 Irvine, Ayr, Scotland
4. JANET MITCHELL Birth: 14 JUN 1866 Irvine, Ayr, Scotland

With the exception of Margaret Hanvy which showed both parents names, the other entries only show mother Elizabeth Mitchell.

IGI records stop around 1875 so no details there for the later births of George and Elizabeth who show in 1881. You might find that your Catherine's birth entry is also under Mitchell. There is one entry showing in 1881 on SP for a Catherine Mitchell in Irvine, may well be hers.

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline plays54

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 October 06 08:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Thanks for all of that ;)

Because I couldn't find a marriage record I was having some suspicion about them not being married and wondered why Patrick's DC stated he was single and it was registered by his sister when his wife and children were still alive and living in the same town ::)

Normally I do use the IGI batch numbers to review births with the same family name but your research results has given me another way to look at it. You learn something from this hobby all the time.

Next time I top up my credits on scotlands people I'll have a look at Catherine Mitchell - though I already know that Elizabeth had a brother George so it could be one of his children.

Again thanks for your input and time.

Rgds. plays54
SMITH - Fife (Cupar, Dairsie, Logie, Leuchars) - Glasgow - NZ (Otega, Balclutha, Palmerston North, Gisborne).
BELL - Ireland - Glasgow (Whiteinch, Partick, Govan) - Australia (Victoria - Carlisle River)(Queensland-Kilcoy)

Offline plays54

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 October 06 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Update on research. Thanks to Monica's help found a Hanvey on the IGI Index with same parents as Patrick. I had assumed that from the 1881 census data that coming from Ireland he may have emigrated to Scotland to work. However it was his mother and father who had emigrated and the one child I found on the IGI index was born in Scotland. So I tried the FreeCEN website who have the 1841 and 1851 census data for Irvine. Found Patrick (aged 6 - confirmed his birth in Ireland) and the rest of his family. Father and mother names correspond with his DC as does his age. So the Hanvey branch grew a few inches more today!

Rgds
plays54

Offline plays54

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 October 06 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Another puzzle in my continuing research on the Hanvey and Mitchell families from Irvine area.

Having found Patricks family among the 1851 Census data it showed that his parents James and Margaret had moved to Ayrshire from Ireland with three children around 1845/46. I concluded that they probably continued to live in Ayrshire until they died.

From their son Patrick's DC it gave the parents as James Hanvey (Stone Mason) and Margaret Marshall. Later I found Patrick's sister Margaret DC and this also confirmed parents as James Hanvey (Stone Mason) and Margaret Marshall. OK.

I found James Hanvey DC on scotlandspeople. He died in 1866 age 46. His job was Stone Mason. His age suggests a birth year around 1820 and this ties in with the 1851 Census record wich shows age as 30 (and wife's name Margaret). So far so good. BUT the DC records that he was married to Margaret MERCER not Marshall.

A search on scotlandspeople brought up no matches for Margaret Hanvey/Marshall anywhere in Ayrshire but there was ONE match for a Margaret Hanvey/Mercer. I double checked my search by inputting Margaret Hanvey only without other surnames with a range of dates after husband James death up till she would have been 100 years. This gave me three possible matches. Two in Kilmarnock and one elsewhere. As James had died in Kilmarnock then chances were that his wife also died there.

One of the matches was too young but the age of death gave a birth year that matched one of their children - Margaret - as I said above her DC shows father James Hanvey and mother Margaret Marshall.

The other Kilmarnock entry indicated an age (and thus birth year) which was +/- 5 years with the 1851 census data. Taking the plunge and spending the credits I viewed the DC. It showed Margaret Mercer, widow of James Hanvey, stone mason, deceased. I am fairly sure that this is the correct person.

But can anyone give me any ideas on how we get from MERCER to MARSHALL???

Rgds.

plays54

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 October 06 09:21 BST (UK) »
I think the Mercer entry on James's death cert might have been reported in error (who reported the death?).

There is a submitted entry for what looks like another sister to Patrick on IGI, and the mother is showing as MARSHALL. This info was probably also obtained from her marriage cert given the details showing:

Helen Hanvey     About 1845  Irvine, Ayr, Scotland
Parents: Father: James Hanvey    Mother: Margaret Marshall    

Marriages: Spouse: Patrick Doran    
Marriage:  07 OCT 1870  Kilmarnock, Ayr, Scotland

Regards.

Monica

Offline Hanvey10

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 May 13 14:36 BST (UK) »
My family name is hanvey and there all Irvine Ayrshire please contact on my email (*)

See post below.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 May 13 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Hanvey10

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

The only way to exchange personal emails here on RootsChat is via the Personal Message service (PMs). You need to post here on the main board at least 3 times before your PM service is activated.

To contact plays54 at that time, just click on the small letter button under his/her username on the l/h side.

Monica

Offline Linzi Affleck

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi there if you contact me on this u can supply information my nana was Catherine hanvey and sister lizzie
Hi Hanvey10

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

The only way to exchange personal emails here on RootsChat is via the Personal Message service (PMs). You need to post here on the main board at least 3 times before your PM service is activated.

To contact plays54 at that time, just click on the small letter button under his/her username on the l/h side.

Monica

Hi,

I am researching related families from the Irvine area of Ayrshire but have become frustrated by the lack of records which should be available from the usual sources.

Catherine HANVEY married a Robert Gibson in Irvine in October 1899 - the record on scotlandspeople is logged however as Harvey though the handwritten entry clearly shows her parents names as HaNvey. I know for sure that Hanvey is correct as a granddaughter of Catherine was given her name (forename and surname) as was the tradition with many Ayrshire families.

I also have a copy of her death record from January 1947 which also correctly gives her name as Hanvey. She died at age 65 so her birth year is somewhere between 1880-85. She does not appear on the 1881 census record for the family, the youngest child being a sister Elizabeth at age 1. All her brothers and sisters are recorded as being born in Irvine.

I am unable to find her birth record from scotlandspeople :(

Her father was a Patrick HANVEY and according to the 1881 census he was born in Ireland. Her mother was an Elizabeth MITCHELL born in Irvine in May 1845 (IGI index). The birth date is supported by her appearance on the 1851 Census records for Irvine at age 6 with parents names matching the IGI Index record. I have both their death records from 1896 and 1908 respectively but the death record for Patrick states he was single whereas the later record for Elizabeth states that she is the widow of Patrick Hanvey. Patrick's death was recorded by his sister Mary Ann KERR (probably married name).
From the 1881 Census details their oldest child is given as Janet Hanvey aged 14 which would give a birth year of circa 1867. Her mother's age at that time would be around 22.

I am unable to find Patrick and Elizabeth's marriage record (circa 1863-1867) from scotlandspeople :(

From the 1881 Census details I have children Janet (14), Margaret (12), James (7), George (4), and Elizabeth (1), that is years 1867 through to 1880. Despite that I am unable to trace/find any of their birth records from scotlandspeople ???

If anyone out there is also researching these families or can help with the missing details it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

plays54