Author Topic: Trying to find  (Read 7710 times)

Offline kez_s

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to find
« on: Thursday 12 October 06 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can anyone help?

I'm researching my Stewart family tree and am making some progress but I have hit a blank with the following person;

On Ancestry I found via the register of baptisms and burials for St. Mary's Episcopal Church in Inverurie, Aberdeenshire I located a William Stewart who was the son of Frank and Catherine Stewart (My Gt. Gt Grandparents) he was baptised in Craigiedarg, Skene (I've never heard of this place and can't find anything on it) on the 26th July 1898, but I can't find him anywhere, I've tried searching for a birth registration on Scotlands people to no avail and also the census for 1901 - again no luck.

I can't even find his family on the census, his father Frank was a tinsmith and his mother could be put as Kate (as per their marriage certificate) there was also a son James Stewart (my gt grandfather) born in 1894 in Kintore and I have his birth entry and another son Alexander in 1901 (I also have this birth entry and the baptism features on the same index as William).

Frank was born in 1870 Towie, Aberdeen. I'm not sure about Catherine but they were the same age at marriage.

What am I doing wrong? Why can't I find his birth entry or any of them on the census??? I also don't know if any more siblings exist.

Your expert help would be appreciated.

Regards

Kirsten
Stewart- Scotland
Ayres - Wiltshire
Southard - Wiltshire, Somerset & Wales
Duggan- Ireland, London & Lincolnshire
Kelbie - Scotland
Collins - London
Minnett - Wales & Somerset
Parsons - Somerset & Lincolnshire
Woodward - Somerset
Strong - Wiltshire
Wheeler - Hampshire & Somerset
Whyte - Scotland
Densem - Somerset
Baker - Somerset
Kettle - Lincolnshire
Simmons - Lincolnshire
Ruddick - Somerset & Wales

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
  • G grandparents Francis Laughlan and Agnes Tripney
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 October 06 09:51 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at this birth on SP? A lot ties up apart from the fact that the father's name is William and not Frank.

1898 Parish of Skene

William Stewart born 18th May 1898 In a tent on the farm of Cragiedarg Skene. Parents William Stewart Travelling Tinsmith Catherine Stewart MS McArthur. Married Oct 30 1893 Elgin.

Was the marriage you have for the parents in 1893 in Elgin between Frank Stewart and Kate McArthur?? Didn't look at that cert but if it was on Oct 30th think that this may be the birth.

Gordon
Lanarkshire-Gray, Laughlan, Black, Hamilton, Kerr, Lindsay, Faulds, Brownlie, Wright, Richardson, Pitcairn, Campbell, Craig, Pettigrew, Mirrlees, McLardy<br />Stirlingshire- Tripney, Cowan, Gibb, Tulloch, Thomson<br />Dumfriesshire- Hope, Johnstone, Jardine, Donaldson, Wright, Irving, Sommers<br />Cumberland- Douglas, Harrison<br />Northumberland- Turnbull, Paxon<br />Ayrshire- Howie, Muir<br />Renfrewshire, West Lothian, Ireland<br />http://gtd005.rootschat.net

Offline kez_s

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 October 06 10:15 BST (UK) »
Thats it - thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes they did marry in Elgin 30 October 1893, so it looks as if they have the first name of the father incorrect, far too much matches up for it not to be him. I know the father is def Frank as I have his birth and marriage info and now have him on the cenus in 1881.

I wonder why I couldn't find it? I ended up with only one match but was for a Peter William Stewart and when I downloaded it, it was the wrong one. I couldn't get one for William in the year and place I had.

Does this happen with Scotlands People? As I have found it a few times that even when I know something for sure and know all the info, no match comes up??
Stewart- Scotland
Ayres - Wiltshire
Kelbie - Scotland
Collins - London
Woodward - Somerset
Strong - Wiltshire
Whyte - Scotland
Densem - Somerset
Baker - Somerset
Kettle - Lincolnshire
Simmons - Lincolnshire

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
  • G grandparents Francis Laughlan and Agnes Tripney
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 October 06 10:30 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure why it didn't come up. Did you try to narrow it down to Inverurie?

I searched for William St*art (incase was registered under Stuart not Stewart)for the whole of Aberdeenshire in 1898. There were 14 matches in Aberdeenshire that year. Noticed that there was the district Skene which you had mentioned in the message so thought I would take a look.

Sometimes best to use wildcards(* for no, one or 2+ letters or ? for only one letter) or utilise the return all forenames beginning with box (for instance fran if the box is ticked would bring up both frank and francis). Also narrowing down in area too much can mean that a match may be missed.  More tips on SP searching can be found in this post:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,43916.0.html

Gordon
Lanarkshire-Gray, Laughlan, Black, Hamilton, Kerr, Lindsay, Faulds, Brownlie, Wright, Richardson, Pitcairn, Campbell, Craig, Pettigrew, Mirrlees, McLardy<br />Stirlingshire- Tripney, Cowan, Gibb, Tulloch, Thomson<br />Dumfriesshire- Hope, Johnstone, Jardine, Donaldson, Wright, Irving, Sommers<br />Cumberland- Douglas, Harrison<br />Northumberland- Turnbull, Paxon<br />Ayrshire- Howie, Muir<br />Renfrewshire, West Lothian, Ireland<br />http://gtd005.rootschat.net

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 October 06 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Kirsten
This is getting a bit spooky!
I have a Mary McArthur (Born abt 1872) married John White Townsley Jan 1892, Bridgeton, Glasgow.
Mary's parents were Anthony and Annie (McLaren)
Sorry, nothing else on them.
Sylvia
Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kez_s

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 October 06 10:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gordon your advice is much appreciated!

I'm trying some of these methods to see if I can find them on the 1901 Census - no luck so far!

Ladybird - so many of these surnames seemed to marry each other - no wonder its so hard for us all to figure it out!
Stewart- Scotland
Ayres - Wiltshire
Kelbie - Scotland
Collins - London
Woodward - Somerset
Strong - Wiltshire
Whyte - Scotland
Densem - Somerset
Baker - Somerset
Kettle - Lincolnshire
Simmons - Lincolnshire

Offline RBcabal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 June 08 19:54 BST (UK) »
Sylvia

If you think thats's spookey - just add this .....
I have Anthony McArthur marrying Annie McLaren 5 May 1869 in Denny - although I don't have the cert as yet.

Mary McArthur was born 5th April 1870 at Battery, Near Greenock, Renfrewshire to the above parents. She married John Townsley 30 January 1892 at Oswald Street, Bridgeton, Glasgow. He was the son of Alexander Townsley and Elspeth White.

I am working on a great number of the Scottish Travelling families - my late wife was a KELBIE and we started with her tree. The Travellers, however, tended to inter-marry, come out of the family and then marry back into the family a couple of generations later.

Hope to be able to help further

Bill Bailie
Kelbie, Jamieson, Keith, Williamson, Cameron, Stewart, White/Whyte (Scottish Travelling Families)

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 June 08 11:27 BST (UK) »
Woohooo yep that's them Bill  ;D
It's the Townsley/ Townsends I'm looking for...am so far back to Robert Townsley c1808, Argyll

BTW I also have Baillies going back to a George Baillie born c1786 Ireland. His daughter Margaret married my John Jeffrey

Kirsten
do you know if your Mary McArthur had a sister Catherine? The Stewarts were also a prolific Traveller family so it's not unusual that you can't find them on the census, they were very good at avoiding them. Also have you tried the English census, sometimes they went south.

Sylvia
Added...Robert Townsley's wife Matilda was also a Stewart
Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RBcabal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 June 08 21:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sylvia

My Bailies come from around the County Down area of Northern Ireland - so far as Ive found. So any with 2 'L' are not of my branch.

Do you happen to have located the marriage of William Townsley to Rebecca Townsley (nee Townsley) in Newcastle-on-Tyne - alledgedly 15th May 1872? I just cant see it att.

Bill

Kelbie, Jamieson, Keith, Williamson, Cameron, Stewart, White/Whyte (Scottish Travelling Families)