Author Topic: Family names : Ardill. Roche, B(o)urke & Cleary  (Read 11533 times)

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Family names : Ardill. Roche, B(o)urke & Cleary
« on: Tuesday 09 November 04 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Any information on these names in Tipperary welcomed !

John Ardill married to Mary Ardill (possibly cousins) - Cashel & Emly

Their children include - John Roche, Prudence, Frances, Henry & Letitia (born 1850's & 60's)

John's parents (I think were John Ardill & Prudence Cleary) ..... Mary's father - James Ardill (definately) and I think her mother was Frances Henrietta Roche who were married at Abington on 5 Aug 1825
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family names : Ardill. Roche, B(o)urke & Cleary
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 November 04 14:56 GMT (UK) »
I can only finde theese for Tipperary
1. Susan Ardill born 23/12/1869 at Hollycross Tip.
father William Ardill
mother Cathrine Elliot
2 . Thomas J.E.Ardill born 16/12/1871 at Hollycroos
parents the same as above
audrey

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 November 04 15:08 GMT (UK) »
marriage for
John Ardill age 20 years  married 22/3/1855 at thurles tip. to
Mary Ardill age 20 years
grooms father John Ardill
brides father James Ardill
hope this helps
audrey

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 November 04 16:05 GMT (UK) »
That is wonderful Audrey......thank you so much !

John & Mary are def. mine ! 

It also confirms their father's names.......and gives me a place name to search !  If you come across any other Ardill's....please let me know !

~~~~~~~~

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Offline billyboyo1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 December 04 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Kathy,

My great grandfather was John Roche Ardill born in Tipperary in 1861. His parents were James and Susan(nee Hodgins, I believe, but am not certain). John Roche Ardill had two brothers Thomas(emigrated to Canada) and Adam (born 1866)and one sister Elizabeth. We believe that Adam was a half brother so James was married twice.
The connection between the Ardills and Roche's  - in 1800 a Letita Bourke married Nicholas Roche. They had four children Edward(emigrated to Aus), Frances Henrieta, Maria Theresa(may also have gone to Aus) and Letita(same). Frances Henrieta married James Ardill. I don't know the link between these two and my g'g grandfather James, the father of John Roche Ardill. Any info would be much appreciated.Thanks.

Bill

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 December 04 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Oooooooooh !  I think we might have a link here !

This is what I know - for sure !

Mary ARDILL was born in Tipperary (don't know where) c. 1830 her father was James ARDILL

Mary married John ARDILL in Thurles on 22 March 1855

They had children :  Frances, Prudence, John Roche, Henry & Letitia (all born Tipperary)

I believe they came to England in the 1860's.  In 1867, James ARDILL died aged 55 (in Rachel Street. Liverpool) - Mary registered his death.

By the 1871 census they were in Bolton - 4 Edge Street

Mary Ardill   Head   35   Widow   Houekeeper
Frances   dau   15 
Prudence   dau   14
John R  son   13
Letitia  dau   8

This would make John Roche born 1857/8

In 1873 Mary re-married to a Patrick Casey, but he died soon afterwards and she reverted to the name of Ardill (probably because of her children)

Henry ARDILL was listed on one of the census' as 'idiot from childhood' and died in his 30's.

In 1881 - John Roche ARDILL died - aged 22 - cause of death 'fit' - he died in the Royal Hotel, Bolton - there was an inquest, but I have not had chance to look this up yet.

SO - if any of this fits into anything you have - let me know.  I have not been able to REALLY discover who Mary's mother was.....I  would like to think it was Frances Henrietta (mainly because of the children's names) ...but I don't even know if she had any siblings.....

Her husband John ARDILL...I think was possibly the son of John Ardill & Prudence Cleary  (again because of the name)
~~~~~~~~

Offline EBR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 December 04 04:47 GMT (UK) »
Merry Xmas all round I think.
I have been researching my family the Roches and I have the information from Nicholas Roche  and other interesting information regarding the Roche Ardill-Percival-Bourke/Burke and pennefather families
Boy oh  BOy its soooo great to see you people.
karl

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 December 04 09:07 GMT (UK) »
 ;D

Welcome Karl.......wonderful to hear from you ...... I am SO excited - you can't imagine !  I am SO HAPPY....and I am sure you will just LOVE this website !
~~~~~~~~

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 March 05 20:26 GMT (UK) »
I have received a marriage certificate from Dublin today -

22nd March 1855
John Ardill  20  Bachelor  Farmer  of Templederry  son of John Ardill Farmer
married
Mary Ardill 20 spinster  of Thurles  daughter of  James Ardill Farmer.

They married at the parish Church Thurles. by licence.

My mind has gone blank....where do I go next ?

Dublin cannot find their daughter Letitia born 1864 in their records...or  John's death....

Do I have to go to Ireland now ? ....where should I start looking for the baptisms of their children.... I would have thought they would settle at Templederry (the groom's home ?)...but where are the children likely to be baptised...

also, can I assume now that they were Church of Ireland ?...help !
~~~~~~~~