Author Topic: Sutherland families of Hilton Fearn  (Read 6773 times)

Offline colin72

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sutherland families of Hilton Fearn
« on: Thursday 12 October 06 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone!

I am looking to see if there is anyone out there who may have connections to my Sutherland family who lived in the fishing village of Hilton in the area of Fearn in Ross and Cromarty. Below I will post some names and dates down to the second generation. I do have details down to the sixth generation.

First I have one quick question here. How does one go about searching OPR death before 1855 for Fearn?

I am looking to find the death record of my ggg-grandfather George Sutherland who was born about 1813 and was the husband of Sophia McKenzie, daughter of George McKenzie and Sophia Skinner.

Descendants of George Sutherland and Sophia McKenzie

Generation No. 1

1.  GEORGE1 SUTHERLAND was born 1813, and died Bef. 1879.  He married SOPHIA MCKENZIE 24 Dec 1835 in Fearn, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland, daughter of GEORGE MCKENZIE and SOPHIA SKINNER.  She was born 1816, and died 30 May 1905 in Hilltown, Fearn, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland.

Children of GEORGE SUTHERLAND and SOPHIA MCKENZIE are:
   i.   ISABELLA2 SUTHERLAND, b. 24 Oct 1836, Fearn, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland; d. 23 Jan 1919, Hilton, Fearn, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland.
   ii.   GEORGE SUTHERLAND, b. 09 Jun 1842, Fearn, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland; d. 08 Jun 1871, Hilton, Fearn, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland.
   iii.   WILLIAM SUTHERLAND, b. 28 Oct 1844, Fearn, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland; d. 02 Oct 1918, Hilton, Fearn, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland.
2.   iv.   DONALD SUTHERLAND, b. 1847, Fearn, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland; d. 12 Oct 1879, Newington, Edinburgh, Midlothian.
3.   v.   SOPHIA SUTHERLAND, b. 1849, Hilton, Fearn, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland; d. 27 Feb 1937, Hutchison Road, Haymarket, Edinburgh, Scotland.
   vi.   CATHERINE SUTHERLAND, b. 1854, Fearn, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland.

Generation No. 2

2.  DONALD2 SUTHERLAND (GEORGE1) was born 1847 in Fearn, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland, and died 12 Oct 1879 in Newington, Edinburgh, Midlothian.  He married ISABELLA STOREY 02 Mar 1875 in Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland, daughter of ADAM STOREY and ISABELLA WEDDELL.  She was born 1854 in Kelso, Roxburgh, Scotland, and died 25 Feb 1913 in 5 Craiglea Drive, Edinburgh, Scotland.

Children of DONALD SUTHERLAND and ISABELLA STOREY are:
4.   i.   WILLIAM BRUCE3 SUTHERLAND, b. 12 Aug 1879, Newington, Edinburgh City, Midlothian; d. 27 Jul 1933.
   ii.   JOHN ADAM DONALD SUTHERLAND, b. 12 Aug 1879, Newington, Edinburgh City, Midlothian; m. ELIZABETH GILL, 20 Oct 1902, 35 George IV Bridge, Edinburgh; b. 1881.

3.  SOPHIA2 SUTHERLAND (GEORGE1) was born 1849 in Hilton, Fearn, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland, and died 27 Feb 1937 in Hutchison Road, Haymarket, Edinburgh, Scotland.  She married FINLAY FERGUSON 03 Nov 1876 in 106 Blackburn Street, Govan, Glasgow, Scotland, son of ALEXANDER FERGUSON and MARION MCLEOD.  He was born Abt. 1852 in Dunhallin, Isle of Skye, Scotland, and died 02 Nov 1921 in Broomton Cottage, Nigg, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland.

Children of SOPHIA SUTHERLAND and FINLAY FERGUSON are:
5.   i.   GEORGE SUTHERLAND3 FERGUSON, b. 08 Aug 1879, Hilton, Fearn, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland; d. 05 Dec 1926, Wakefield, Yorkshire, England.
   ii.   MARION FERGUSON, b. Abt. 1878, Invernesshire, Isle of Skye, Scotland.
   iii.   WILLIAM ALEXANDER FERGUSON, b. 08 Aug 1879, Glasgow, Scotland; d. 09 Jun 1905.
   iv.   DOLINA FERGUSON, b. 03 Jan 1882, Duirinish, Dunhallin, Isle of Skye, Scotland; m. ARCHIBALD MCDONALD, 04 Oct 1905, 18 Elder Street, Govan, Lanark, Scotland; b. Abt. 1880.
6.   v.   SOPHIA FERGUSON, b. 07 Apr 1884, Hilton, Fearn, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland; d. 02 Aug 1940, Royal Infirmary, Edinburgh, Scotland.
7.   vi.   NORA BELL FERGUSON, b. Abt. 1887, Govan, Lanarkshire, Scotland; d. Aft. 1952.
   vii.   FINLAY FERGUSON, b. Abt. 1889, Lanarkshire, Scotland; m. AGNES ETHEL HUNTER CHALMERS, 20 Dec 1912, Cardell Hall, Govan, Lanark, Scotland; b. Abt. 1890.

Offline alisonjogden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Sutherland families of Hilton Fearn
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 May 10 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, my search for the name Weddell picked up your post. If you ever match any of this up with what you are doing do let me know. James Weddell (that is how we spell the name now!) is always sure he was born in Creich, Sutherland but we have never found any other Weddell families there. Many thanks Alison

I am researching a James and Catherine (Hethrine or Ketrin) Weddell  who were in Duffus, Morayshire in 1841 (James working away in Knockando on census day).
William (William Jarvis Weddell) is 16 months. Catherine’s maiden name was Jackson.
1851, Hopeman, Duffus: James Waddle 34 (b. Abt 1817 in Crich, Sutherland) & wife Ketrin/Ketran 39 (born Knockbain, Ross-Shire). James is a shoemaker & tenant of 8 acres. Children: William 11, Anna B.F. aged 8, Robert 5, Margaret 2.
1861 James is now married to Janet Gordon. A shoemaker at ‘Braes of E Kinkell. Janet b. abt 1815, Urqhuart, Logie Wester, Ross & Cromarty.
It looks likely that in 1861 Annabella Waddel (probably Anna B. F Waddles – see 1851 census) Age: 19, b. abt 1842 in Elgin, Morayshire, is a Servant to the Smith family at Middleton Mains, Nigg, Kincardineshire. Her sister
Margaret Waddle, 11,born abt 1850 in Kinloss, Morayshire, is also a Servant (a Herd) to Jane and Kenneth Urqhuart at Brues of Keleof , Killearnan, Ross & Cromarty.
William & Robert left home to join the army & navy and both settled in Cardiff.

Offline Mathe402

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Sutherland families of Hilton Fearn
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 April 15 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Colin
I'm pretty sure the Sophia Ferguson b. 7 Apr 1884 Hilton, Fearn, Ross & Cromarty is one and the same who married John Matheson 11 Jul 1905, Inverness.
They had 4 children.
If you are interested in contacting I'm only too happy to send information on the family.

Regards
Jan