Author Topic: O'Dwyer Family in Emly  (Read 2666 times)

Offline julia.julibob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Nanny with her mum Maud Amos/Golby
    • View Profile
O'Dwyer Family in Emly
« on: Friday 13 October 06 19:31 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help? My grandad Timothy O'Dwyer came to England sometime in the 1920's. He was born in 1911 and had 15 brothers and sisters. I know that he came from Emly in Co Limerick/Tipperary, but have no idea of how to find out any more. His father was Michael O'Dwyer, and I have also been given the name Heffernan as very important. I was told that it was Heffernan O'Dwyer, but I can only find Heffernan as a surname.

Can anyone help, or point me in the right direction (without having to get on a boat and cross the Irish Sea  )

Julia
DWYER/O'DWYER (Tiperrary, Ireland/Tonbridge, Kent) SHILLING (kent), HIDER/HYDER (Sussex), TOMPSETT (Brenchley), GREEN (Paddock Wood/Capel/Hertford/Essex), AMOS (Surrey/Kent),GOLBY (Surrey/Sussex), LUCAS (Kent/Sussex), LYNE (Lewisham/Catford/Kent), PEACOCK (Sevenoaks/Edenbridge), BRAZIL/BRAZILL/BRAZEILL (Surrey/Kent/Sussex/Cornwall/Hants)

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: O'Dwyer Family in Emly
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 November 06 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Emly is south of Tipperary town on the map. About ten minutes drive from the town centre.
Regards.
 Tom.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 02:12 BST (UK) »
Hiya Julia,

Heffernan O'Dwyer ... the use of a surname as a christian name points towards a marriage between the O'Dwyer family and the Heffernan family. They possibly lived in the same parish. I looked at Irish Ancestors Surname search as it enable the names to be cross checked to see if families did live in the same parish when Griffiths Valuation of Ireland took place between 1848-64. Heffernans and O'Dwyers did live in the same parish in the following counties ... Clare, Dublin, Dublin city, Limerick, Limerick city and Tipperary. 

Have you had a look at the Emly Parish website? The Roots section on their site says that the Parish is receiving a lot of enquiries. There's also a paragraph ...  WHERE to BEGIN:   Were your folk from Emly?  This is where you should begin.  The parish records of the last century were relatively well kept.  They date back to 1809. We are also lucky to have our history well researched.  If you wish to get in touch, do so and we will try to help or point you in the right direction.  But please be patient.

Chris

Offline RonnieG

• RootsChat Senior
  • My gr.gr.gr.............gr.grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 12:19 BST (UK) »
Julia,

If you have a more accurate date in 1911 for Timothy O'Dwyer's birth then you could make a good start in applying for his birth cert as this will give you his mother's maiden name (Heffernan?) and an address at the time of his birth.

www.gro.ie

See this link for information on how to get his birth cert.

RonnieG
Dyer - Paignton Devon
Rhodes - Wistow, Yorkshire
Moorman- Isle of Wight
Oliver - Surrey
White & Delaney - Dublin
Acres & Jackson- Tipperary & Offaly
Dowling & Mullane - Limerick
Ryan - Kildare
Heron - Down
Woods - Tipperary

Offline h.wright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 April 21 02:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I just came across your message, as my father and I are starting to do some research into his mothers side of the family, as very little is known

My grandmother was Catherine Mary Heffernan, born 1930

My grandmother's mother's maiden name was O'Dwyer, I cannot be 100% sure of her first name, but i do know that she was the sister of Ellen "Nellie" O'Dwyer

My grandmother's mother's father was Michael "Bishop" O'Dwyer,

So i wonder i you can help me fill in the blanks?

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 April 21 11:16 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

My grandmother was Catherine Mary Heffernan, born 1930

My grandmother's mother's maiden name was O'Dwyer, I cannot be 100% sure of her first name, but i do know that she was the sister of Ellen "Nellie" O'Dwyer

My grandmother's mother's father was Michael "Bishop" O'Dwyer,

Is this your grandmother's birth on FamilySearch?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F13Y-QLC

To find your gt grandmother's first name, you can order the birth record for 1930 from the GRO Research Room in Dublin by e-mail. It costs €5.00 for a photocopy.
See the e-mail service - https://www.gov.ie/en/organisation-information/55ccbe-general-register-office-gro-research-facility/

Be sure to give the place of birth, mother’s maiden name, the year, quarter, volume number and page number.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 April 21 11:21 BST (UK) »

Emly is south of Tipperary town on the map. About ten minutes drive from the town centre.

Emly village/townland is actually west of Tipperary town.
https://www.townlands.ie/tipperary/clanwilliam/emly/emly/emly/
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5626685#map=13/52.4656/-8.2542

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline h.wright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 April 21 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi, and thank you for your reply,

Yes that is the record of my Grandmother's birth

I shall take a look at the link to order the birth certificate, thank you for your help!