Author Topic: 1841 census look up  (Read 7483 times)

Offline skeletonkeys

• RootsChat Member
  • I've become nuts on genealogy
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census look up
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Bryant

I never did find out who Gainsford's mother Ann married (maybe she never did). Ive tried to find a link with George Gibling Walford's family (1807-1874) but so far no luck in joining the dots. I had wondered if Ann was the sister of George's father and had possibly travelled to Marks tey from Great Tey to have the baby christened  (he's logged as a 'bastard son' of Ann at Marks Tey) but thats just me daydreaming!

I am focusing my attention on trying to find out more about George Gibling Walford to see if there's any chance that Gainsford/Ann are linked. A long shot I know but worth a go.
Walford - York, London,Stratford St Mary, Great Wilbraham
Cantle - Maesteg, Bitton, Keynsham
Hawker - Bradford Peverel, Mosterton,Thorncombe
Phillips & Rees - Pembrokeshire
Davies - Glamorganshire
Jones - Cwmavon
Hind & Lowe - Whitwell, Derbyshire
Sanderson - York
Leitch - Pittessie, Collessie,
McWilliam - Port Glasgow
Beck - Dumfries, Port Glasgow
Birkett - Collessie, Abdie

Offline Bob Marshall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 June 15 15:29 BST (UK) »
Dear Helen

Don't know if you are still pursuing this (quite old) thread, but I have only just found it while Googling for other WALFORD ancestors.

I believe that the Charles Henry WALFORD (b1836?) who starts this thread was the second son of Gainsford Gibling WALFORD (GGW) who was the miller found in the 1841 Little Wilbraham census by Bryant. I have him born in Stratford St Mary, Suffolk, as was his brother Walter Gainsford WALFORD, my great grandfather. His is the family, including my grandmother, which Bryant found in the 1881 census living at Brundon Hall near Sudbury.

GGW died of severe bronchitis at 8 Napier Street, Shoreditch on 04 Jun 1859 with Jane WALFORD, probably his wife, present at the death. In case you didn't find them in the 1851 census  (not helped by Ancetsry's incorrect transcription to read 'Cawford Santford!!) they were living at 11 Hulls Terrace, Old Luke Street, Middlesex.

I have GGW's wife as Jane HARDY, born in Bures St Mary, Suffolk, about 1806. Parents = Abraham HARDY and Jemima GOOD(E) both born about 1780.

But I have got no further back than these two on Jane's side and no further that mother, Ann WALFORD, on Gainsford's side. i.e. no father for Gainsford, husband for Jane or children after Gainsford. (Hadn't seen the 'bastard son' reference by the way. Is this from parish records?)

I'll follow up on the other 3 Giblin(g) WALFORDs that Bryant found and the George that you found and let you know if I find anything - assuming you're still interested in this line.

Kind regards, Bob Marshall

Offline skeletonkeys

• RootsChat Member
  • I've become nuts on genealogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 June 15 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,

I must admit I've parked my family tree research for a while ( I get a bit snowblind with all the data  and have to shove it to one side for a breather).

I'm always interested to hear of any new information.  Nothing's changed on the Ann Walford front.  Yes "bastard son " was on the parish records.

Jemima Good's parents were James Good and Mary Killingbeck
Abraham Hardy's parents were James Abraham Hardy and Hanah Inman.

You will no doubt have come across that wonderful photo of Walter Walford.

It would be helpful if you could research the Giblin link. I find it hard to believe there isn't a link to the Walford's in some way.

I need to dig out my old records to refresh my memory because I have a habit of finding out new information and then forgetting to add it to my database. Time goes by and then I forget I've got the new information!

If I dig out anything new I'll add it to this thread.

Best wishes, Helen
Walford - York, London,Stratford St Mary, Great Wilbraham
Cantle - Maesteg, Bitton, Keynsham
Hawker - Bradford Peverel, Mosterton,Thorncombe
Phillips & Rees - Pembrokeshire
Davies - Glamorganshire
Jones - Cwmavon
Hind & Lowe - Whitwell, Derbyshire
Sanderson - York
Leitch - Pittessie, Collessie,
McWilliam - Port Glasgow
Beck - Dumfries, Port Glasgow
Birkett - Collessie, Abdie

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 June 15 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,

I have just sent you a private message as there is a little problem with your emails at the moment.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bob Marshall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 June 15 13:49 BST (UK) »
Dear Helen

Thanks for this, particularly the details for Jane's grandparents.

One of my cousins came across the Walter Walford pic some time back and I uploaded it to my Ancestry tree back in 2010 along with (or so I thought) a photo of his wife Margaret, now a widow, and the children at Brundon Hall c 1899. Either it has disappeared into the ether or I didn't upload it then. (Yet another CRAFT moment.) I've reloaded it today on Walter's page on Ancestry.

In case you're interested, also on Ancestry, on my grandmother Gertrude Walford's page, is a photo of her and her five sisters.

Will let you know if any Giblin(g)s come out of the woodwork.

Kind regards, Bob M