Author Topic: Velvet Walks, Bolton. A slum?  (Read 6430 times)

Offline paw42

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Velvet Walks, Bolton. A slum?
« on: Thursday 19 October 06 20:19 BST (UK) »
We found my great great grandfather, his wife and daughter,  living at this address in the 1871 Census

7 Velvet Walks, Bolton.

He is the illusive John Geary, 46 (1825), Head, Painter, Ireland whose son Patrick  changed his name to Joseph Davenport - see separate thread.  A general search on the internet revealed that Velvet Walks was in a slum area, long demolished by now. Can anyone throw any light on the conditions that they might have been living in in 1871?

Can anyone give me an approximate location of Velvet Walks in relation to modern Bolton?

paw
Davenport - Bolton
Holgate - East Lancs/West Riding Yorkshire
Phair - Ireland, Glossop and Bolton
Norris- Bolton
Whittaker-Bolton and East Lancs

Offline SandraC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Annie with Brenda
    • View Profile
Re: Velvet Walks, Bolton. A slum?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 October 06 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi paw

The enumerator's description of the district containing Velvet Walks says it was bounded on the south side by Deansgate & on the north side by the River Croal.  It contains the north side of Deansgate to Market Street & also contains Knowsley Street & Corporation Street.

Deansgate, Knowsley Street & Corporation Street are all still there & the river hasn't moved  ::)

I'd try googling for a map of Bolton

Regards
SandraC
Researching Clark, Holt, Threlfall, Platt, Walker, Bowers, Culshaw in Manchester, Salford, Ormskirk & Southport.
Also, Craggs, Hamer, Sampson, Hesketh, McNamara, Hodson.

All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 October 06 22:59 BST (UK) »
The description of the enumeration district says the place was between Deansgate and the River Croal, in the area to the west of Knowsley St.

The area as shown in 1850 on www.old-maps.co.uk shows the hotch-potch of buildings before redevelopment.

The 1871 census mentions Knowsley St, which by then had been built through the middle of what had been a timber yard in 1850. Later the Market Hall was built on the east side of Knowsley St, and the Victoria Halls on the west.

Obviously, the area was in the course of redevelopment, which implies that the houses there would be pretty dire. There are 5 children and a lodger with the couple at number 11, which is probably a similar size to number 7.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Jim Say...

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 October 06 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Paw42.  I remember Velvet Walks from when I was quite young in the late 1940's and early 50's. At that time I lived in Bark Street which was just around the corner.
Walking along Knowsley Street towards the Town Hall Square, pass the Victoria Hall on right and Market Hall on left, just before the junction with Deansgate was a narrow opening on the right. Along there on the right was Velvet Walks one of a number of very narrow streets of back to back housing. Going further along a left turn would take you onto Deansgate. I recall using it as a short cut. I also recall a fishmongers shop on the corner of Velvet Walks.
It would be no injustice to describe the area as a slum.
Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane.
Jim

Offline julz-dave

• RootsChat Extra
  • the picture is me as a baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 09:25 GMT (UK) »
My uncle wrote the book Velvet Walks

Offline bettyespana

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Gt Grandmother-Margaret Dickenson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 May 16 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Paw42.  I remember Velvet Walks from when I was quite young in the late 1940's and early 50's. At that time I lived in Bark Street which was just around the corner.
Walking along Knowsley Street towards the Town Hall Square, pass the Victoria Hall on right and Market Hall on left, just before the junction with Deansgate was a narrow opening on the right. Along there on the right was Velvet Walks one of a number of very narrow streets of back to back housing. Going further along a left turn would take you onto Deansgate. I recall using it as a short cut. I also recall a fishmongers shop on the corner of Velvet Walks.
It would be no injustice to describe the area as a slum.
Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane.

Jim

Yes Jim & I used to work at Co-op Eyecare where Argos is now on the corner of Bark Street & the River Croal ran underneath it.We could go down to it & it went behind the indoor Market across the road & still runs past the back of the Post Office on Deansgate.
I was told when I used to do my research that when you see Little Bolton on any documents that was north of the Croal & Gt.Bolton was south of the Croal.

Betty
Lancashire- Moss,Broadbent,Olley,Dobson,Dickenson,
Norfolk-Olley,Knowles,Bunn,Pooley,Scott,Vince
Caithness & Dumfries - Evans,Sinclair,Mackay
Belfast-Antrim - Mackay,Connor,Bunting
Liverpool,Wigan & Southport - Ball,Taylor
Isle of Man - Harp,Dougherty
Cheshire - Dickenson
Knighton,Radnorshire - Evans, Broadhurst
Caithness - Sinclair

Offline Grasshopper41

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 August 18 13:29 BST (UK) »
I have a photograph (taken from a 1950's book) of Velvet Walks, taken probably between the wars. If anyone would like a copy just xxxxxxx and I'll be pleased to oblige!
Golding 41.

Offline A Malone

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 18:44 GMT (UK) »
My uncle wrote the book Velvet Walks
Julz-Dave...just found this site and coincidentally I'm currently reading your Uncle's book Velvet Walks.  My 4th Great Grandparent Peter Malone and Ann Slater lived on Velvets Walks which I found on the 1841 Census.  They were originally from Tyrone and Belfast Ireland.  They passed in England but their children as adults moved to Massachusetts in the late 1850's.  Mill workers and then enlisted in our Civil War.  Found all this from years of digging on Ancestry.  I didn't even know my Grandather when I began researching.  I was looking for the name Velvet Walks hoping to find an old street map when I came upon your Uncle's book.  Enjoying the book, character and getting a clearer picture of the beginning of my Father's Malone line. Happy you mentioned his book.  Quite a surprise.  Barbara

Offline Megedith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 March 21 18:58 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the book Velvet Walks?   It is unavailable at the booksellers/Amazon etc.