Author Topic: Orphanage, London Colney  (Read 21554 times)

Offline rose boorman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Orphanage, London Colney
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 27 March 14 10:52 GMT (UK) »
:) Thank you so much for replying to my query-any snippet helps & I shall try down that root.

Offline framus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, I hope you pick up this message. My mother and Aunt were also at the orphanage in London Colney around about 1927/28. Sadly they have both passed away. They really didn't speak about the orphanage so I know very little about it. It's a comfort to know that the nuns were kind. I wonder if your aunt would remember them? This year they would have been 90 and 89. Again, they weren't really orphans but my grandmother was widowed and could not afford to look after her 5 children.

Offline mitch789

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 22:45 BST (UK) »
 :) I was just going to shut down when your message came through-thank you. I am still no further forward for info. on the year(s) I was there but live in hope! I will let the site know if & when I manage to knock this 'brick' wall down!

Offline framus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Rose, My mother and aunt were at the orphanage between 1927 and 1939/40. They never really spoke about their time there. Are you able to say which schools they might have attended? Was it a happy place? this is really a long shot, but do you have any group photos from that time?

Offline rose boorman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 03 April 14 00:00 BST (UK) »
 framus,  in answer to your question,your mother & aunt may have been educated at first in the convent , in the late 1930's  this was changed & they were sent to Shenley the younger ones being taken by bus & older ones walking.     from around 10 years of age girls had a job to do before breakfast ,so had to get up very early.   bedtime was at 7p.m . after bathing we were allowed to read or knit in bed,also darn our stockings if needed. NO TALKING in bed , sleeping was in dormitories.  The nuns were very strict.  Sorry I do not have any group photos ,we did occasionally have photos taken.     There was a very strict routine & not much free time,  if you had family you were allowed to go home for a holiday after the first year in the summer.  anyone left behind had an easier time & were taken out to places & picnics.    It was mostly a happy place as we were all in the same boat & looked out for one another, we also had more friends at the village school.  Hope this answers some of your questions.

Offline framus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 03 April 14 14:32 BST (UK) »
rose: Thank you so much for your prompt reply. It really is comforting to know that it was mostly a happy place. I can remember my aunt saying that when she was naughty, she was put in the attic? and that the children had to sit in church for three hours on Sundays but that was the only information.

Offline rubber123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 21 April 14 10:38 BST (UK) »

hi rose, just found this site after finding out my nan was at the Orphanage, she was confirmed at
  st saviours church and had her 1st communion at all saints convent chapel in 1925. I was told
  that she worked at a seaman's  mission before she came home, could you tell me if this was       
  something the nuns had the older children working at

Offline rose boorman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 00:29 BST (UK) »
reply to rubber123.                 1925 was before I was born I wet to All Saints in 1937 when I was 9  .   most girls on leaving while I was there went home as they had a living parent or relative or went as mothers helps,  as it was wartime  very few girls were still there when I left at 13 to live with an uncle & aunt & their family.     Sorry I can't give you any more information......

Offline rubber123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 09:40 BST (UK) »

Thank you rose for your reply, do you know if there is any records for the period i'm looking for