Author Topic: Robert Annesley Foster & family?- completed  (Read 7093 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Robert Annesley Foster & family?- completed
« on: Friday 20 October 06 22:49 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help? Have been searching for this family for years!
Robert Annesley Foster (born c1880), son of John Foster, commercial traveller.
Married 1909 Portrush to Maud Elizabeth Scholes (born 1884).
Four daughters (born 1911-1920): Jane Myrtle, Beryl Maud, Sheila Patricia, Roberta Margaret Fay.
Lived Dhu Varren, Cranmore Gardens, Belfast 1901-aft.1920. Attended Windsor Presbyterian Church (have baptisms for the children).
In 1911 Census Robert is listed as 'board secretary.' Maud's mother and brother also living with them.
I've even been to Cranmore Gardens and spoken to occupants & neighbours.
They seem to have vanished off the face of the earth. Any ideas what to try next?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Annesley Foster & family?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 October 06 06:07 BST (UK) »
Hiya Aghadowey,

I'd suggest a look at the street directories to see at what point the family disappeared. Did Robert and Maud have four daughters so that they could not be found? A couple of sons would have made life easier. If at least one of the girls remained a spinster we'll be in with a chance. Don't worry at what point you find her as you can always work back again. Google for Belfast Forum too. It's a website all about Belfast and not all the members there are Rootschatters .. some aren't interested in family history but they occasionally look at the genealogy board on the site and post useful information. The Windsor Dance Hall on the Lisburn  Road was known as Miss Foster's. I can't  recall if it was run by two sisters or one sister and cannot recall the Christian names although Eddie McIlwaine wrote a piece about the building in his "Ulster Log" column a few weeks ago. It was a pleasant building but has been knocked down to make room for an apartment block. BTW I think the Dance Hall was run by two sisters.

All the Best, Chris   

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Annesley Foster & family?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 October 06 11:41 BST (UK) »
Christopher- thanks for the suggestions.
I suspect that the family moved away from Belfast.
A few years ago when I went to Cranmore Gardens the present occupant of the house directed me to an elderly neighbour who had lived in the street all her life. She remembered "Mr. Foster" going off to work each morning dressed in a suit and that there were 3 or 4 (it was 4) daughters.
I've found it is usually much easier to trace people in the country than a cities like Belfast or Derry.

Offline caineth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Annesley Foster & family?- completed
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 April 11 20:37 BST (UK) »
Also trying to find information about Robert Annesley Foster. I live in Belfast and have a contact in Canada who is researching Canadian records for me. Caineth

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 April 11 20:59 BST (UK) »
What a wonderful surprise to see your post. I don't know anything about Robert Annesley Foster before his marriage- wife Maud is the connection and I have lots of information on her relatives- but I did find a record of the Fosters going to Canada. Would be interested to know what happened to the family.

Offline caineth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 April 11 20:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your prompt reply.  An aunt died recently aged 103 yrs, her husband (Bertie) was the nephew of Robert Annesley Foster. At the funeral it was decided to try and have a Foster family reunion, hence my attempt to find missung family in Canada. My cousin Michael Foster who lives in Toronto placed an advertisment in the Canadian newspaper whithout any success. However he is hoping to do further research in Canada.
Any further information I'm happy to receive.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 April 11 21:04 BST (UK) »
We can use PM (Personal Message) system to exchange more recent details (well, as recent as I've been able to find so far). You need 2/3 posts to do so- once you can see little green scrolls under user names you'll know it's working.

Offline caineth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 April 11 20:48 BST (UK) »
Again thank for yor reply. My name Eleanor and I live in Belfast. My email address is

(*)

If you wish to continue I suggest you use the above address and send me your contact details.
Best wishes,
Eleanor

(*) Moderator Comment: email address removed in accordance with Rootschat policy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 April 11 20:55 BST (UK) »
Will be in touch shortly.