Author Topic: Scholes Family- completed  (Read 10687 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Scholes Family- completed
« on: Friday 20 October 06 23:03 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help?

John Thomas Scholes (c1846-1898) m.(1877) Jane "Jeannie" Hunter (1853-aft.1911). He was bank clerk in Ballymena, Co.Antrim (1877) & then bank manager at Ulster Bank in Garvagh, Co. Londonderry until his death. After John's death, Jane lived at "Kinvara" Golf Terrace, Portrush (1900-1909). 1911 Jane staying with daughter Maud (see below)- this is last trace I have of her. John Scholes (and some of the children) buried in Garvagh but Jane is not.
Six children:
1. Mary Jane Scholes (d.1909/1911?) m.(1900 Portrush) James Christy, bank accountant.
2. Frances Mary? Scholes (1880-1894).
3. William Scholes (1882-1912).
4. Maud Elizabeth Scholes (1884) m.(1909 Portrush) Robert Annesley Foster, 'board secretary' & had: Jane Myrtle Armstrong, Beryl Maud, Shiela Patricia, Roberta Margaret Fay. 1911 Census- Fosters living at Cranmore Gardens, Belfast. Her mother and brother John also in household.
5. John Frederick Thomas Scholes (1886-1887).
6. John Mitchell Hunter Scholes (1887-aft.1912). 1911 'paper agent' living with sister Maud. 1912 living at 28 Lawrence St., Belfast (Ulster Covenant)- this is the last record I can find of John.

Think John Scholes originally from Co.Fermanagh. Brother Andrew Scholes had daughter Lizzie Scholes (m.1909 William Thomas Buchanan).

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Scholes Family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 February 08 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello aghadowey,

A look at the online Valuation extracts indicates you're probably right in thinking that the Scholes family came from Co. Fermanagh.

The details you have about the Scholes family are so good it's a pity you're stuck and are having problems finding one of them.

Would John have moved to Britain or further afield in connection with his job or even to search for a new job or could he have enlisted to fight in the first World War? 

Christopher

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 February 08 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Christopher. Have been looking for this family for almost 20 years without much luck.
Just recently the following possiblities have turned up:
Jane Elizabeth Scholes died 1941 Belfast.
Maud Foster died 1946 Belfast.
Robert Foster died 1937 Belfast.
Haven't been able to check further yet and the above aren't proven to be the correct family- we never heard of Jane having Elizabeth as a second name, Maud and family were said to have gone to Canada or 'somewhere'.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 February 08 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Is that Beryl Maud Foster who went to Canada? When you say "Maud and family were said to have gone to Canada" does that mean she married prior to leaving Belfast?  Obviously there's no chance of obtaining a forwarding address from the Post Office. If they went to Canada there might be a chance of finding them but if they went elsewhere you've serious problems. Have you tried any Canadian websites?

Christopher

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scholes Family- completed
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 February 08 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Maud (Scholes) Foster and her family (the Fosters) were said by one relative to have gone 'somewhere maybe Canada). Have looked at various Canadian sites without luck but difficult to research in Canada without a location.

Before I posted this message checked www.findmypast.com to see if I could get any of them leaving U.K. at any time and may have found some of the family:
1929 Maud E Foster (48) Belfast to Montreal
1930 John M H Scholes (age 42) Liverpool to Montreal
1934 Jane Scholes (82) Belfast to Montreal
1934 Maud Foster (48) Belfast to Montreal

Even better in 1928 Belfast to Montreal:
Robert A. Foster (48), Mand E. (42)- should be Maud, Beryl (19), Myrtle A. (17)- was Jane Myrtle, Sheila (9), Robert M. (7) female- should be Roberta.

Will follow this lead up shortly. Thanks again

Offline Dodie88

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 September 19 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hello - we have just come across this information whilst researching our Scholes family tree and we believe we are related to this branch of the Scholes family.

John Thomas was the brother of my mother's grandfather.  Lizzy was the daughter from his first marriage who went on to marry William Thomas Buchanan.  Andrew Scholes (my mother's grandfather) went on to marry and have 5 children of which her father was one.  Andrew had a son who sadly died in infancy who he named after John Thomas.  The children were Andrew, William, Jane, Richard and John Thomas.  Andrew died in May 1896.  The family are from Lisnaskea, County Fermanagh.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 September 19 17:35 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat, Dodie88   :)

Aghadowey was on-line here earlier this morning, and no doubt will reply to you in due course.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 September 19 21:44 BST (UK) »
Goodness what a long time ago I started this topic (lots more details found since then). Welcome to Rootschat, Dodie88.

The Scholes family isn't my connection but 2 of them married into Hunter family which is why I was trying to trace them.
First of all, here's a brief update on family of John Thomas Scholes-
John Thomas Scholes (c1846-1898) m.(1877) Jane "Jeannie" Hunter (died 11 Aug.1936 Toronto). John Thomas Scholes was the son of William Scholes.
Six children:
1. Mary Jane Scholes (d.16 Nov.1901 Rosstrevor, Co.Down) m.(1900 Portrush) James Christy, bank accountant. No family.
4. Maud Elizabeth Scholes (d.2 July 1966 Ontario)
6. John Mitchell Hunter Scholes (1887-aft.1940) m.(1923 Belfast) Gladys Emily Hyde (alive 1954)

William Moorhead m. Fanny Jane Scholes.
1. Ann Jane Moorhead (8 Apr.1866 Fermanagh) m. Dr. Mitchell Godfrey Hunter (he was the brother of Jane Huntr who married John Thomas Scholes). Children: Frances Mary, Gertrude Mary, William Moorhead, John Mitchell, Joseph Whiteside, Jane Evelyn Maud "Eva", Charles Godfrey.
2. John Moorhead (19 Apr.1869 Kilmore, Monaghan-aft.1911).

Offline Dodie88

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 September 19 18:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks all - very interesting information.