Author Topic: Denbighshire Daniels  (Read 2215 times)

Offline eegneg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Denbighshire Daniels
« on: Wednesday 10 November 04 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Am seeking info about ggranddad, Edward Daniels, and predecessors. His cert of death (US, Ohio) shows birth as 25Mar1848 in Wales of Edward and Elizabeth Daniels.  He emigrated to US before 1874. In 1874 he married Sarah Jane Angel in Cleveland, Ohio. Have figured out that he had at least an older brother, Joseph, b. 1843.  Joseph was born in Cefn, married Mary Jones and lived in Ros y medre and Chirk. He was a miner.  Edward, my granddad, was an "engineer" in Ohio. [The closest Joseph/ Edward match I've found is the surname Daniel (No "s").

Any help to this geographically challenged and clueless (hence eeg - neg) seeker of family history is appreciated.
Edward Daniels/Daniel b. 25Mar1848 maybe in Denbighshire, Cefn Mawr area. Father: Edward. Mother: Elizabeth. [Bro: Joseph b. 1843, Cefn, m. Mary Jones, Jos' son: Llewellyn, born 1881, Chirk.]  Edward emigrated to US (Ohio) before 1874.  Info re: Edward and earlier family appreciated.  Geographically challenged and mostly clueless (hence eeg - neg).

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: Denbighshire Daniels
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 November 04 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eegneg,

Cefn is in the parish of St. Asaph, in north Wales. The Genuki has a page about the town

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/DEN/Cefn/

However, there are other places known as Cefn, the most likely one being Cefn Mawr in the parish of Ruabon. As this is not far from Chirk, I would tip that this if the one you're looking for. This was a coal mining area.

The nearest Records Office is in Wrexham.

You caould have a browse on the North Wales BMD site for any certificates. Here's the link:

http://www.northwalesbmd.org.uk/bmd_welcome.html

There are loads of Daniel and Daniels in the WXM area, but none about 1848. I would hazard a guess that this period has not yet been transcribed. If you send a mail to Wxm record office, they should be able to help further.

WREXHAM : County Buildings, Regent Street, Wrexham. LL11 1RB
(Tel : 01978 358916) email: archives@wrexham.gov.uk

Their web site: http://www.wrexham.gov.uk/english/leisure_tourism/culture_heritage/Archives.htm

Good luck

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 November 04 22:47 GMT (UK) »
It is all somewhat confusing for people who don't know the area,for Cefn Mawr and Rhosymedre both came for Census purposes under the civil parish of Ruabon Denbighshire.Having said all that though,I believe I have found your Edward and Elizabeth Daniels,living in Chapel Street Rhosymedre in the 1871 Census.However I could find no sign of Joseph,if you wish to see the Census Image which i have saved;Email me at 

Moderator comment - email address removed to avoid spamming - please contact using a personal message

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline eegneg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 November 04 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to wrjones and D for their help.  Am waiting for arrival more info now.  Hope it takes less time than ordering records from Ohio (4 months and waiting).

Again, my appreciation from sunny Miami.
Edward Daniels/Daniel b. 25Mar1848 maybe in Denbighshire, Cefn Mawr area. Father: Edward. Mother: Elizabeth. [Bro: Joseph b. 1843, Cefn, m. Mary Jones, Jos' son: Llewellyn, born 1881, Chirk.]  Edward emigrated to US (Ohio) before 1874.  Info re: Edward and earlier family appreciated.  Geographically challenged and mostly clueless (hence eeg - neg).