Author Topic: family crest  (Read 7527 times)

Offline hourihane

• RootsChat Member
  • Wynston of Tre-Wyn
    • View Profile
family crest
« on: Sunday 22 October 06 11:08 BST (UK) »
How do I put my family crest under my name .I’ve tried to upload my own family crest picture in RootsChat Profile but nothing happens .

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: family crest
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 October 06 11:30 BST (UK) »
Have a read at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,130922.0.html and sccroll down to the third section.

You may not see the change immediately becuse of a cached page image (stored in memory) however if you find this is a problem pressing "Ctrl" and "F5" together will force a refresh of the page

Offline hourihane

• RootsChat Member
  • Wynston of Tre-Wyn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 October 06 12:01 BST (UK) »
I resized the Family Crest a you said ,and it’s worked great thank you .

Offline cassandra123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 December 06 13:44 GMT (UK) »
There are no such thing as a family crest for a surname, it has to be inherited in a direct male line as do Coats of Arms.
"This sad little lizard told me that he was a brontosaurus on his mother's side.   I did not laugh.
People who boast of ancestry often have little else to sustain them.......

By Robert A Heinlein

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 December 06 14:59 GMT (UK) »
There are no such thing as a family crest for a surname, it has to be inherited in a direct male line as do Coats of Arms.

I don't entirely agree with this statement.  Crests did frequently run across families although what you say is true about the shield and the complete coat of arms.  The crest was often inherited from the dominant family while the shield followed the mainly male lines of inheritance.  Unfortunately as in the case of this thread many people refer to the crest when they mean the shield a habit emphasised if not created by the American commercial firms trying to sell coats of arms.

The crest is what sits on top of the helmet in a coat of arms.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hourihane

• RootsChat Member
  • Wynston of Tre-Wyn
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 December 06 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Am I Bothered ?

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 December 06 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Am I Bothered ?

It depends on whether the shield that you are using is simply one that you found associated with your surname or whether it is one which was granted to one of your established ancestors.  In the latter case the actual design of the shield can tell you more about your ancestry, and if you can find the complete coat of arms you can find out more from the helmet crest and other parts.

In the former case as long as you don't use the shield for any commercial purposes then no one is likely to bother although in theory the rightful owner of the arms could take you to court if you use it for any purpose.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cassandra123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 19:11 BST (UK) »
why do you need something that is not a right to a surname but to a family and from direct lineage.
"This sad little lizard told me that he was a brontosaurus on his mother's side.   I did not laugh.
People who boast of ancestry often have little else to sustain them.......

By Robert A Heinlein

Offline bilsat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 February 09 07:18 GMT (UK) »
How do you go about obtaining your own coat of arms, or is it not available for "us peasants"