Author Topic: Anglican web site  (Read 864 times)

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Anglican web site
« on: Sunday 22 October 06 18:54 BST (UK) »
http://www.cofe.anglican.org/about/librariesandarchives/familyhistory/index.html

This is a new site to me (apologies if it has been discussed before) and it doesn't strike me as terribly helpful! I think if i were starting here I would rapidly give up :)
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Re: Anglican web site
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 October 06 10:16 BST (UK) »
I've had a few contacts with the Church of England, seeking forebears, and they haven't been very satisfactory.  I suspect their record-keeping has been rather lacking in the past, and now it's too late for anyone to do anything about it!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline sunnylady2005

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Anglican web site
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 November 06 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear - may I put a different perspective - its usually not the record keeping that is at fault but accessing them.

Many records are still in the church itself, although now parishes increasingly deposit their  old registers in the local records office .   But you can imagine that  a clergyman who looks after even one church (and more and more look after two or three or four or five or six or more) probably gets quite a number of enquiries each week, and increasingly so with the current  popularity of genealogy all over the world.   So whilst it is frustrating that many have reluctantly taken the decision that they can not help, please understand that they are already very VERY busy being clergymen. 

Knox (Greenlaw/Claydub/Edinburgh);
Syme or Sime (North Berwick/Montrose (Brechin);
McMurtrie (Dalmellington); Lamont/Limont(?);
Williams (Hampstead)/Glamorgan;
Lord (Hampstead/Lancashire);
Isaac (Wiltshire/Gower Peninsula) ;
Rowen or Rowan (Manchester);
Greenwood (Lancashire);
Also Forsythe; Kyle; Trotter; Hislop/Hoslop; Henderson; Chaplin; Parr; Mc Lean; Gourlay ; Harford