Author Topic: thomas crage (craig)  (Read 1777 times)

Offline Stewart

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
thomas crage (craig)
« on: Wednesday 10 November 04 22:02 GMT (UK) »
 ???Thomas Crage (Craig) was married to my ggg grandmother Caroline Quick in South Africa. He came from England, possibly Sussex, somewhere at the coast? He was possibly born around 1846. His sons were named Frederick William and Ernest.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: thomas crage (craig)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 November 04 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Stewart - you have made a similar posting before and members did reply. I am going to be frank now despite the fact this is a friendly site - you simply cannot post vague requests like this and expect intelligent answers. We need to understand what you are looking for and what you really know.
I want to tell you that you have no chance at all of anyone here being able to find details of a marriage in South Africa about 1875 or so -you would need to know at least the town they married in for anybody to search. The way South African records are kept means there is no central accessible record before 1901 and even then you need all the details to apply for a certificate. If his children were all born in South Africa then your task is hopeless unless you pay a professional researcher there.
If you want assistance please frame your requests - Who - When - Where, not just a list of people.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stewart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 November 04 21:51 GMT (UK) »
It is very difficult in trying to find information on your ancestors when you don't have anything further than what I gave you. My mother is 92 years of age and she is trying to remember things that were told to her when she was a child. For instance on speaking with her today she seems to remember that her mother told her that Thomas Craige dropped the "i" out of his name in South Africa because people got confused. On the marriage, I know where they were married, I only mentioned this as a point of reference, in trying to see if somebody might know something as it is very difficult to get anything in this country. You cant even get presnt day info.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 November 04 00:16 GMT (UK) »
I seem to read that you are living in  South Africa. I have been searching for information about 3 South Africans for some years - two of them were even sufficiently prominent to be mentioned in the London Gazette or in several books about game hunting. But, they don't exist on any legal paper that I have ever found.
When you posted originally I looked for an hour or so for Crage and found only one mention and that obviously irrelevant. I can see South Africans be more comfortable with Craig than with Craige - there were a lot of Scottish miners and railwaymen out there. But was that why he changed from Craig to Crage?
I have not found any relevant person with any variation of Craig in Sussex. I am sure that if there was one Chris would have piped up - he is a real expert on Sussex. I am even surprised your man he was not Scottish.
I do believe that the records of parish register marriages are better indexed for Sussex  than elsewhere.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stewart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 November 04 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thomas Changed his name from Craige to Crage obmitting the "i". I have found that Craige is indeed Scottish, but my mom says she vaguely recalls that her mom mentioned Sussex. I have found info on the web pointing to Shoreditch, London. Parents being William and Sarah. His son was Frederick William. As a matter of interest two of his sons played cricket for South Africa and Eastern Province. I hpoe that this might help.

Offline Chris in 1066Land

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Forever Searching, Forever Learning"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 December 04 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stewart and Hackstaple

Thanks Hackstaple for your imput on this query, it really is appreciated.

Stewart, Sussex is a very big county, and without some possible dates or places, it is going to be very difficult to pinpoint the location of your sussex ancestors.

1846 is a possible birth date of Thomas in Sussex, I will check the 1851 census for East Sussex only (cos thats the only one I have got) to see if there is a Thomas  Craige/Crage listed aged about 5 years.

Have found a Thomas Cragg, aged 6, with parents John, 44, Farmer and Mary, 36, together with siblings Albert, 4; Grace, 14; Jesse, 10m; Richard, 12; William, 10 and Grandfather Richard aged 82, ag lab all in Cowford, East Sussex.

Having checked all of the 1841 census transcription for East Sussex - the above is the only Craig/Crage/Cragg family listed

Chris in 1066Land
One of Rootschats Founder Members RIP 1942-2021
Living at the Heart of English History in 1066Land. 
www.Rootschat.com/history/hastings

Swarbrooke Family Heritage
https://swarbrooke.co.uk

Own Ancestral Website:    http://maythornemill.webs.com                                          
Monumental Sculptures Website:    http://Tombstones.webs.com

Local History Site: http://zouch.webs.com
Baldslow Local History site
http://web.archive.org/web/20140626153455/http://www

Offline Stewart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 December 04 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris in 1066Land
I will give this to my Mom and will reply at a later stage. ???