Author Topic: Canvas Weavers of Tring  (Read 8806 times)

Offline DCS

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Canvas Weavers of Tring
« on: Monday 23 October 06 23:32 BST (UK) »
I am researching the Garnett family of Kimpton and the Cutler and Cato families of Tring in Hertfordshire.  Many of them were canvas weavers and some of them owned weaving establishments and property.  The Cutler descendants used the name Garnett as first or second names right down to the 1900s. 
Speller (Thaxted, Prittlewell, West Ham), Thompson (East Peckham, Romford), Wright (Gt Marlow, Romford, Dagenham, Queensland Australia), Cutler (Herts), Channer (High Wycombe), Baker (Romford, Ilford, Stratford)

Offline Marton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Canvas Weavers of Tring
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 October 06 15:18 BST (UK) »
Dont want to raise hopes, but some of my family worked at the Silk Mills between New Mill and Tring, as canvas weavers and silk weavers. The mill I believe was  started by the Rothschilds. Havent come across your names, ours were Foster, which I am just getting into
Marton

Offline DCS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 October 06 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Thanks for your message.  I believe the Rothschilds came after the Cutler canvas weavers.  George Cutler was the owner of the largest canvas weavers in Tring with 20 looms and 40 men and boys working for him at Frogmore End Tring.  He died in 1845 and the Catos took over the weaving industry.

Please tell me more about the Rothschilds weaving.  I wasn't aware that they did canvas weaving too.  Can you verify this?  Any stories that have been passed down as to working conditions etc?

Best wishes

Diana 
Speller (Thaxted, Prittlewell, West Ham), Thompson (East Peckham, Romford), Wright (Gt Marlow, Romford, Dagenham, Queensland Australia), Cutler (Herts), Channer (High Wycombe), Baker (Romford, Ilford, Stratford)

Offline Marton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 November 06 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Diana, I worked on one of my mother's "myths" as they were known!
However, since looking more closely, find that her maternal gr grandfather did work variously as a canvas weaver- acotton weaver and wool weaver, whilst his wife was a silk throwster. I looked on the Tring website, and found some info on the Mills. My mother had it in her mind that her ancestors came of heugenot origins , but I doubt it, I think the Fosters were of Tring stock, but havent got very far as yet. please keep in touch if you find any more.
Marton

Offline DCS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 November 06 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marton,

Can you give me some full names and dates of anyone in your tree who came from Tring - especially if they worked in the canvas mills.  I can check my data then to see if any there are any names in common.

Regards,

Diana

Offline Marton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you ,Diana, so far I have-
 James Foster b.1853, Westminster m. Elizabeth Priest

John Foster b. @ 1828 Tring

William Foster b.@ 1791 Tring

Iknow that James was a weaver ,but I dont think we have any earlier than that. Any info you might have I would be grateful to know.
Marton

James had a daughter, Emily who was  my gr. ma

Offline DCS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marton,

I have found these records - have you got these?

In 1881 census living at 33 Brook st Tring:
Information removed due to possible copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.
Living at 30 Brook street were:

who might be related as they were living so close.

I found James's Marriage:

Marriage Sep 1872

Foster    James        Berkhampstead

Priest    Elizabeth         Berkhampstead

I also found a record for William Foster (b.abt 1795 of Tring) and his wife Mary (b.abt.1799 of Tring - surname unknown) they had following children (all of Tring):

Lucy - christened 6 May 1821
Anne - christened 20 April 1823
Caroline - christened 25 June 1826
John - christened 10 Aug 1828

So the query now is:  If the Mary Becket living with James the wife's mother why is her name Becket and not Priest (Elizabeth Priest)

I recognise both Becket and Priest, more so Becket as Becket is connected to Cutler by marriage somewhere as there is a boy called Cutler Becket in the tree.  The Beckets were also in the weaving business as you can see by the Herts website you have already read I believe.

Please get back to me with your thoughts on the above information.  Hope it has been of some use.

Diana

Offline Marton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 November 06 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Diana, I have James & Elizabeth, also father John,b. Tring,and William and Mary,am unsure where to go next. I think James may have married twice, so must send for m. cet. to find out.Elizabeth Priest's mother was Mary Priest in 1861, with two children but Elizabeth is firmly listed as illegitimate.Mary must have married again by the time she lives with J & E . I haven't yet got to why the Rothschilds might have been involved, they may have been part of the New Mill ? Also an Italian lady was supposd to have married into the family, I have her warming pan! but haven't traced her yet. :)

Offline DCS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 13:33 GMT (UK) »
I knew I had seen Priest somewhere - and I have already mentioned Cutler Becket to you - look what I've just found!

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details[/color]

I think you might just be connected to the Cutler family I am in contact with!  How I don't know - but I do believe they had an Italian lady in their family too.  I will ask around.