Author Topic: Photograph album  (Read 6194 times)

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Photograph album
« on: Tuesday 24 October 06 20:32 BST (UK) »
I have a number of 'old' photos that have lived in a biscuit tin for well over 10 years.  I would like to set them all out in an album and wondered if there are special types of albums for helping to preserve photos. I obviously haven't been much help to my pics in the last few years and i need to make sure they don't deteriorate any further.  :- Any ideas? Poli
Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Copperwheat----Bedfordshire---Norfolk
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Jones----Wales---Bedfordshire
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London
Ostler----Norfolk
Sherwood----Bedfordshire
Silver----Bedfordshire---Suffolk
Smart----Leicestershire---Middx
Teagle----Buckinghamshire---Wales
Totterdell----Hampshire---London---Stoke-On-Trent
Woods----London

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
Re: Photograph album
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 October 06 21:03 BST (UK) »
http://www.arrowfile.co.uk/

Try these poeple, I found them prompt, good value and good quality.

Mike
Beard Voyce, Scrivens in Worcestershire

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 October 06 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Poli  :)

The best indication of a good quality photo album is that it has passed the Photographic Activity Test (PAT).  Usually if they have, they'll put it on their packaging somewhere.

I like to keep my old photos in albums with plastic pockets.  That way, they're not stuck to anything and I can see them easily and get them out if I need to.

Make sure you get an album that has a neutral pH, i.e. around pH7.  If it's higher than that, it means it has an alkaline component which can be dangerous for the old albumen prints (the ones that are pale browney colour and stuck to card, like cartes de visite).  Conversely a low pH is dangerous for everything else, as it is acidic!!

Lastly, keep the album somewhere where the environment is nice and stable.

Prue

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 October 06 22:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tips Meldrew and PrueM,

I knew i had read somewhere on Rootschat about covers for certs. etc needing to be acid free.

Quite a few of my photos have writing on the back and i'd like to be able to view them from both sides.

I have been sending a relative copies of them and they have been given to my daughter for scanning so they've been handled quite a lot lately.It's about time i gave them a really comfortable home to live in  ;)  Poli
Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London
Ostler----Norfolk
Sherwood----Bedfordshire
Silver----Bedfordshire---Suffolk
Smart----Leicestershire---Middx
Teagle----Buckinghamshire---Wales
Totterdell----Hampshire---London---Stoke-On-Trent
Woods----London

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 October 06 22:57 BST (UK) »
Polidor -  :)

Went to a class last month about storing old photographs.

What the museum curator stressed was old photographs must or should be stored in "acid free" plastic containers. Second to keep them in a relatively stable environment or away from heat sources and cold. Periodically pull the photos out but when you do make sure you handle with gloves and only by / on the edges.   

Most "good" or "reputable" photography stores carry "acid free" supplies so I would assume you should be able to find what you need . If not, there are several "on line" sites where you can also purchase.   Not sure what I did with my class notes but if I find them (I stored away so carefully) and I haven't mentioned anything important I will get back to you.

Good luck.

yn9man  :)
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 October 06 23:14 BST (UK) »
Don't get an album with a sticky back.  After several years many photos can become very difficult to prise off the back and this is especially bad if any of the photos are fragile.

Also, keep the photos out of light or they will fade.  I have scanned in photos I have so I have a backup of the photos incase anything happens to them.

Andrew

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 October 06 01:53 BST (UK) »
The term "acid free" can mean a multitude of things.  Really it's not a reliable indicator of the archival/long-term stabilty or pH neutral-quality of a product.

The only way to be absolutely sure that your album or any other enclosure is suitable for the archival storage of photographic materials is to ensure that it's passed the PAT.  An explanation of the PAT is here: http://www.rootschat.com/links/0vf/ 

A good article about choosing albums is here (from the US National Archives):
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0vg/ 

Prue

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 October 06 13:27 BST (UK) »
Polidor -

Comosus makes some great points.  Would like to add I used a frosting spatula to remove stuck photos. Worked very well.

Found my class notes. Just a couple of other pointers ...

Don't touch pictures because any fingerprints will leave a permanent spot or grease mark.

Make sure photographs are stored back to back until put away in an album, framed, etc. Don't mix color and black and white photos.

Negatives are greatly influenced by heat and or humidity.

When an item (sleeve / pages etc.) reads / says "photo safe" it doesn't always mean it is "acid free" Must say "acid free" to in fact be "acid free".

Store albums flat not upright. 

Never use scotch tape to mount pictures since the tape it will discolor the pictures, and eventually flake off. Don't try to remove the tape from the picture just cut the excess away from the edges. Glue isn't recommended either. If storing on paper use "photo corners".

A couple of websites that have products / items of note (I haven't ordered any products from them) www.gaylord.com; www.lightimpressionsdirect.com and www.hollingercorp.com.

yn9man,
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 October 06 19:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the advice re photograph albums. I've printed all your info and shall refer to it when i purchase one. Thanks again, Poli :)
Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London
Ostler----Norfolk