Author Topic: Thomas O'Hara  (Read 6648 times)

Offline bombergirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas O'Hara
« on: Wednesday 25 October 06 08:26 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find some information on Thomas O'Hara born in Cavan around 1870.  I am not sure when he left Ireland and went to England but he married in Newcastle in1896.  I have been told that his father and brother went to America and his nephew was the Archbishop of Chicago at one time. If anyone can give me any information i would be very grateful.
Wordsworth  -  Penistone Castleford Middlesbrough

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas O'Hara
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 April 07 07:34 BST (UK) »
Hello bombergirl,

Here's a list of the Archbishops of Chicago from Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia.
I wonder which one was the nephew of Thomas. I think possibly Feehan or Quigley.

Patrick Augustine Feehan (1880–1902)
James Edward Quigley (1903–1915)
George William Cardinal Mundelein (1915–1939)
Samuel Alphonsus Cardinal Stritch (1939–1958)
Albert Gregory Cardinal Meyer (1958–1965)
John Patrick Cardinal Cody (1965–1982)
Joseph Louis Cardinal Bernardin (1982–1996)
Francis Eugene Cardinal George, OMI (1997–Present)

Chris

Offline bombergirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 10:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Chris
I will check up on both those names. See if i can find where the family went to.
Regards Denise

Offline LynnsBookshelf

• RootsChat Extra
  • I’m gonna take them down to the Cadillac Ranch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 March 08 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Patrick Augustine Feehan was a cousin of my great great grandfather (Philip Manning). He was the first Archbishop of Chicago. 1880-1902. (22 years).  His Mother was Judith Cooney. She was the oldest daughter of John Cooney of Coleman, Tipperary. I believe Philip Manning's mother was another daughter of John Cooney.

Patrick Augustine Feehan was born 29 August, 1829 in Killenaule, Co. Tipperary. He was educated at Castleknock College & Maynooth College.

He came to America in 1852. On his arrival from Ireland he was sent to St. Louis, Mo., Then
was Bishop of Nashville, Tn. He was installed as First Archbishop of Chicago
on Nov. 28, 1880, in Holy Name Cathedral. He was 51 years old. He died 12 July 1902 in Chicago.

I haven't come across O'Hara in my Feehan research, so maybe Archbishop Quigley would be the more logical choice.

I am trying to find out more info about the Cooneys or Feehans from Tipperary, so would appreciate any info.

Lynn McGoldrick Franger
Aurora, Illinois, USA
McGoldrick - Donegal Town, O'Brien - Howth, Flynn, Quirk, Manning, Mangan - Ireland

Offline atrombly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 June 14 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi - 

I'm researching Edward Cooney, born 1819, St. Mary's, Clonmel, County Waterford.  Seemed like a major breakthrough until I was told Clonmel is in both Waterford and Tipperary and I should probably search both.

Looks like your Judith Cooney had a son in 1880.  So she may have been born 1850-1860, oldest daughter of John Cooney.  Which means John might have been born 1820-1830.  My Edward was born in 1819 - parents Thomas Cooney and Joanna Connor.  Colman, Tipperary seems to be a good distance from Clonmel - solidly in Tipperary - but figured I'd at least check in to see if any chance of a connection. 

Offline bombergirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 June 17 11:05 BST (UK) »
I am travelling to Ireland in October and am wondering where would be the best place to find some information on my great grandfather.  I have only his name  Thomas O'Hara born around 1870,  his father was Patrick O'Hara and he has Cavan as the place of his birth in the 1901 census. But i know nothing else   :-[  Any information would be greatfully received

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 June 17 12:07 BST (UK) »
A Thomas O'Hara was born Corlough 25th Feb 1874 to Patrick O'Hara and Mary Rorke/Roarke
Its registered in Mohill,Leitrim but i am not positive if Corlough is in Leitrim or West Cavan.
Maybe someone more familiar with the area will advise you.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1874/03147/2154262.pdf

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 June 17 12:12 BST (UK) »
I am travelling to Ireland in October and am wondering where would be the best place to find some information on my great grandfather.  I have only his name  Thomas O'Hara born around 1870,  his father was Patrick O'Hara and he has Cavan as the place of his birth in the 1901 census. But i know nothing else   :-[  Any information would be greatfully received

There are several districts his Birth could have been registered at...

So, I went to here, irishgenealogy and there are  Birth results for Thomas OHara from 1865 to 1875

Displaying results 1 - 49 of 49. ....   http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kbh/

Then checking against list on left the only POSSIBLE one I see is 

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1868/03420/2254458.pdf

BUT you can double check!!

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 June 17 12:19 BST (UK) »
.... and then there is the IF he was Registered!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.