Author Topic: Great Day for Canadian Genealogy - Passenger Lists  (Read 27128 times)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Great Day for Canadian Genealogy - Passenger Lists
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 November 06 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Debbie,

Well, you know their daughter Alice, (I think) was born in 1875 in Toronto, so if it was me I would backwards from that date.  As to which Port, that's hard to say really.  I've attached a map for you to see the direct route from Quebec City, PQ and Montreal, PQ to Toronto, Ontario.

Where do you think they may have left from in England?  Pehaps the Port of Departure would help narrow things down?

Karen..in a sunny, but cold Ontario  :)

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline 01debbie

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dear Nan, Sybil Edith Grace Boxall 1909-1992
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 November 06 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Karen.  The map will be very useful.  They originated from The Isle Of Wight, which is off the south coast of England...a hop & a skip across the Solent from Southampton.  Now I'm assuming, that maybe they'd have departed from Southampton, London or maybe even Plymouth...but I'd be guessing!  I know for certain they were back here in 1879 as that's when my G Grandmother, Ellen was born.

So the hunt continues... :)

Best wishes,

Debbie
BOXALL    Portchester & Southampton<br />CLASBY    Southampton<br />HELLYER   Hound, Netley & Southampton<br />MIDLANE   Isle Of Wight<br />PHILLIPS   Botley & Southampton<br />PRICE       Isle Of Wight<br />VERONELLI/VEARONELLY/VERONELLY & variants ANY<br />WAREN     London<br />WINTER    S.E. London

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 November 06 19:55 GMT (UK) »
THanks so much for that link, Karen  :)
I had already found my g-gran's sister, Maud Ingram, in the Home Children database a few years back, but to see her name on the ship manifest was really something.  Poor little thing was only 15, sent away from her 7 siblings in London to the other side of the world  :'(
Prue

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 November 06 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Oh, Prue...so sorry, I do hope she didn't have too rough a life. Some did have good people they ended up with....Breaks my heart to hear what some had to go through and endure...Such a sad time  :-\  J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 November 06 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your thoughts, JJ  :)

I don't know what kind of life Maud had in Canada...her brother was a merchant sailor and visited her a couple of times and sent postcards to the other siblings saying she was doing well.  We next see Maud in 1920 in New York, servant for a family from Canada.  Lose track of her after that in the paperwork, but she married a New Yorker and they ended up going to California.  Had two kids, and some grandkids...Maud died in 1986 aged 90, so I guess life got better for her eventually  :)  As far as I know, she didn't visit England again though  :'(

Prue

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 November 06 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Kia Ora Karen M
You wee beaut! I know it was 1870 that my Faireys arrived so am ploughing my way through!!
Do you recall mentioning that I could get Land Records? To whom would I write? I have a likely person to search Baysville/McLean Records but need to tell them where to go - politely!!!
Thankyou again!
Marlene
HUNTS: Fairy, Ding, Scotney, Swinton, Burgess, Brace
BEDS: Farey, Fairy,  Young, Rootham, Gell, Wildman, Cooper. Deighton, Flavel.
NORTHANTS: Hills, Mobbs, Twelftrees,
DERBY: Fairey,
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WATFORD HERTS; Burgess, Williams
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,
WORCS: Callow, Lowe

Online janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 November 06 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Karen
I have a 1911 postcard with name of ship and date of arrival - it is unsigned but was always thought to be from my grandma's younger brother who we knew emigrated to Toronto before WW1. Searched the passenger list no sign of Fred but there was her older brother William George who we had no idea went to Canada :D Have since found him on 1911 census and his marriage in Cobalt in 1913.
Cheers Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Zelley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 November 06 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Karen
I have a 1911 postcard with name of ship and date of arrival - it is unsigned but was always thought to be from my grandma's younger brother who we knew emigrated to Toronto before WW1. Searched the passenger list no sign of Fred but there was her older brother William George who we had no idea went to Canada :D Have since found him on 1911 census and his marriage in Cobalt in 1913.
Cheers Jan ;)

I would welcome help in finding the date & the ship in 1883 that William & Elizabeth Zelley and three of their daughters arrived
in Canada from England.
Zelley,  Lovell, Godbold, Woods, Phillips, Lewis, Emery,
Magee, Baker, White. Flisher, Kyne, Tilston, Valence/Vallens,
Mabb/Mabbe, Bellamy, Selley, Martha Smith, Arno (of Dartmouth, Devon}.
Dorset, London, Warwick, East Anglia, Kent,  Devon
North Wales          

The ancestors lived here and there, in many scattered
places, with various occupations

Offline Wendl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Shaking the Irish Family Tree from Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 11 November 06 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi there...

Looking for someone's interrpretation to help me define a year of immigration for my grt grandfather James Thompson....

I have a marriage entry for him from Smithfalls, Ontario....states, "James Thompson, Smith falls, lately of Londonderry Ireland to Miss Grace Wilkie Walker, Smiths falls by D N Coburn Monday" ....appeared 12 Sep 1913 in the Perth courier newspaper.

My thots are that he immigrated sometime in 1913? anyone concur???

All the Best
Wendy
Barrie/Barry-Forfar
Broun/Brown-Kirriemuir, Forfar, Angus
Carr-Belfast
Close -Belfast, Antrim and Down, Mageraghall; Ontario, Canada 
Crowe- Belfast
Gardiner/Gardner-Belfast, Scotland
Hennion- USA
Hedley- Belfast
Lawlor-Belfast, Down: Ontario, Canada
McPherson-Esquising, Ontario