Author Topic: YOUNG, Emery. Invernesshire  (Read 24564 times)

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: YOUNG, Emery. Invernesshire
« Reply #18 on: Friday 27 October 06 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Barb

Gadget PM'd me. as she said, I haven't been on site for a few days.
By coincidence I was at the Mitchell Library in Glasgow looking up a Poor law record of a relative !?
There's a poignancy about your quest since Emery shares a surname with me.
Gadget is correct in her comment that Scots Poor Law was different from some other places.
It was the responsibility of a parish to care for their own poor, aged and infirm but , unlike England, they preferred to keep people out of an institution by helping their relatives to support them. It was only if the relatives were unable to accommodate them that they were brought in at all. Or if they had no relatives and friends to support them.
Some of the Poor Law records are surprisingly detailed especially if the person was not from that parish but still needed support. The Parish council would contact the person's parish of origin and try to get them to offset or cover the costs.
Even earlier than 1800's a parish might order someone who was capable of working to support themselves to leave the parish. (This could be taken as a forerunner of Assisted Passage since they might give them something to enable them to travel!)

An infant who had been orphaned would probably be handed over to a foster mother to be raised. She would be given financial recompense for her willingness. The cash offered would seem absurdly small by todays reckoning.
Some orphans were simply accepted into the family as one of their own. Others would be sent out into the world as soon as they were able to work to support themselves.There was no law on adoption back then. that is a recent innovation.
Others might be taken into the Poor Law institution as soon as they were able to do some productive work there until they were able to fend for themselves.
The whole Poor Law process was an expensive drain on the finances of a parish because , of course, there was no government support back then.
Back to Emery. The suggestions you have had are really the only way to dig and dig until some other smidgin of a clue comes up. I wondered if you had tried Amory as a fore name.
The surname Young pops up in too many places to be very useful since its derived usually from a T name. In Scotland there was a small pool of names and many places discriminated between one John Smith and another by calling one Young John in much the same way as in Wales we find Dai the Post and Dai the baker.
Sorry for the lengthy history lesson but, as Gadget says, Scots history is long and complicated.
Sorry too that I can't add anything as yet to the constructive comments you have had already.

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 27 October 06 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi All  :)

Just throwing up what might be a red herring but.................

I have located an Emery F Young on the 1851 Census in Cambridgeshire. I think he's the correct age and a labourer. The page is pretty feint but this is what I have:

1851 - HO107 Piece 1735 Folio1755/746   Page19

Linwood House, March, Cambridge
Emery F Young, Lodger, age looks like 20, Labourer, b. March, Cambridgeshire

I shall check if he's around in 1861, if not he might be yours. The born  Invernessshire  on his death cert might be wrong because it would probably be hearsay  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 27 October 06 13:57 BST (UK) »
Interestingly, I can find no trace of this fellow in the 1861 or 1871 censuses. However, he doesn't appear to be on the 1841 and I can't find anything on the IGI.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 27 October 06 17:43 BST (UK) »
Gadget

Emery F. Young's age on the 1851 in England is down as 28 (I know hard to read!) but he's indexed with a birth year also of 1823. Pity, because that the closest I've seen.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 27 October 06 18:08 BST (UK) »
No Monica - that's the index. I enlarged the image and looks very like 20 to me  :)

Gadget

PS - I enlarged it even more and I now think it is 28  :( :( :(

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 27 October 06 18:22 BST (UK) »
Let's just enjoy the moment of seeing Emery and Young together!

Monica

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 27 October 06 18:39 BST (UK) »
I ain't going to give up yet, Monica  ;)

I'm going to think and search long and hard.

I've been thinking that the age was only what was reported as well.  Now, how do we know that he was the age they put on the death cert?

I think a search of ships lists and any input from Barb about his family/info when he got to Oz might help.

Come on,  a few canny Scots lasses and a lad can't give up  ;D

Gadget  :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 27 October 06 18:43 BST (UK) »
I agree...I bite at the ankle and then can't let go!

I've been going through the 1841 Census in Scotland to see whether any Emery (not many but also looking at variants) is in a household with different surnames, picking up on Russel's point. ............I'll keep going through them and see if anything jumps out.

When Barb posts his children's names, this could help with the searches.

Monica

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 27 October 06 20:21 BST (UK) »
Just a thought on that though Monica !

If he was indeed an orphan there may be no naming tradition to follow.
Or it could be the pattern of his foster family.

Not totally stumped yet though   ;)

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.