Author Topic: puerpuria ??  (Read 2674 times)

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
puerpuria ??
« on: Thursday 11 November 04 12:18 GMT (UK) »
I have someone in my tree that possibly died from this.  I've googled it and come up with nothing like this spelling although there was Puerpura wich is heavy bleeding.  Possibly as a result of childbrith.

Has anyone come across this before?
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline GreySquirrel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: puerpuria ??
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 November 04 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Sadly, it was very common, especially in the era of home births -- normally it's described as puepureal fever, I think.

I don't think I want to go in to too much detail on a family website.

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 November 04 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Well it's all relevent to Family History.....i,m sure there would be a few who would like to know.
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 November 04 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Found it!!

Also known as

Childbed fever

Description

Infection after childbirth is generally puerperal fever, and rise in body temperature is an important symptom. A puerperal fever is first seen as an infection of the reproductive organs. Puerperal fever was once considered a very dangerous illness: it was one of the 3 leading causes of death among women giving birth. The mortality risk due to Puerperal fever has been reduced by the development of antibiotics, but there are still dangers like surgery and blood poisoning.

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy: Chasing your own tale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 November 04 14:28 GMT (UK) »
HI Fitty,

I have an old medical book, which mentions puerperium as being the time between the birth of a child and the resoration of the mother to perfect health, usually about one month.

Incidentally, one of my ancestors died of puerperal peritonitis , which was probably the same thing as your "childbed fever".

After a bit of research I found this...

A history of puerperal fever ...excellent reading

puerperal fever is caused by the examining physician himself, by the manual introduction of cadaveric particles ...or any putrid organic material... into the bruised and torn genitalia of labouring women...

Pasteur identified bacteria as the real cause of puerperal fever having found streptococci in the blood of the affected.

http://www.obgyn.net/eago/art15.htm
Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JLo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 November 04 14:35 GMT (UK) »

the time between the birth of a child and the resoration of the mother to perfect health, usually about one month.

Shouldn't that be 18 years  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Marshall, Beeson (Herts)
Lo(e)wenthal,Kavanagh, Maxam (London, Birmingham)
Harrisson, Matthews (London, Essex)
Poulton, Philbrick (Essex)
Guest, Timmins (Staffs)
Raynes/Ryall (Ireland, Birmingham)
White (Bucks)
Gunn (Scotland, Lancs, Essex)
Ison (Tamworth, Birmingham, USA, Canada)

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 November 04 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Amy!

and JL,  One of mine is 29 this year.....and i,m still recovering! :-\