Author Topic: Geography and Names Brymbo and Broughton  (Read 3097 times)

Offline Robert B. Croman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Geography and Names Brymbo and Broughton
« on: Thursday 26 October 06 18:15 BST (UK) »
I have come across a family in the 1881 census living in Brymbo, Denbighshire but the birthplaces are listed as Penrhose Brymbo, Pentre Broughton, Moss Broughton, and Lodge Broughton.
Allow me to give details from the 1881 census:

William Whomsley, age 49, coal miner b. Penrhose Brymbo
Mary, wife, age 49, b. Pentre Boughton
Hannah, daughter, age 21, fuse maker, b. Moss, Broughton
Arthur, son, age 18, general laborer, b. Moss, Broughton
John, son, age 15, fire man, b. Moss, Broughton
Martha Elizabeth, daughter, age 10, b. Lodge, Broughton
William H., son, age 6, b. Lodge, Broughton

From the free BMD, I think I found the marriage of this couple as William Whomsley and Mary Barrow in Flintshire, March 1855.
I also know from the IGI that there was a Mary Barrow born to Thomas and Ann Barrow in 1831 whose baptismal is recorded in the Westlayan Methodist records of Wrexham.

So my question(s) are what do the place names of Penrhose, Pentre, Moss, and Lodge signify; does it seem logical that this couple, William and Mary Whomsley could be the couple indicated by the BMD record of March 1855, and is it possible that this Mary (the wife) could be the Mary Barrow whose baptism is recorded in Wrexham?

My great great great great grandfather, Thomas Barrow's death place was listed as Moss, Denbighshire, as per the registration I received from GMO

I would be thankful for any thoughts which anyone might have.

Best regards,
Bob Croman
Plano, TX

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Geography and Names Brymbo and Broughton
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 October 06 19:25 BST (UK) »
These placenames are all townships of what was the Parish of Brymbo.A much fuller account of the Parish History can be found at;
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/DEN/Brymbo/index.html

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MikeDavies38

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 October 06 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob and greetings from the Wrexham area.  Penrhos is above the village of Brymbo: Pentre Broughton is across from where Brymbo steel works used to stand and is today a separate village as is the Moss.  Lodge is just below where the steelworks stood and the original village was buried by the spoil heap from the works.  The whole area is undergoing transformation after years of neglect.  he following site is worth a visit.
http://www.bhg.org.uk/
I lived in the area for about 30 years and moved about 5 miles away after that.
Regards
Mike
Davies, Bywater, Murray, Gaunt, Benton, Jones, Richardson

Offline Robert B. Croman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 October 06 00:29 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the information that both of you have supplied and the associated WEBsites.    Although I have not sent for the marriage registration for William Whomsley and Mary Barrow, I am fairly confident that Mary was the daughter of Thomas Barrow and Ann Evans.    My GGgrandfather Joseph Barrow was probably a first cousin to Mary Barrow and possibly a brother.    [Uncertainty because I don't know the parents of my Joseph Barrow but I do know he was the grandson of Thomas Barrow, Sr, the father of the above mentioned Thomas Barrow, (Jr.)]
Thomas Barrow (Jr.) was a miner and William Whomsley was also a miner and they all lived in the Brymbo, Broughton area, so I assume there must have been several mines in the area.    Mike, since you mentioned a steel works, that makes sense since steel and coal go hand in hand.
Again many thanks,
Best regards,
Bob Croman

Offline rhsmart

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 March 19 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Further to this enquiry William and Mary Whomsley were my great great grandparents. Their son Thomas was my great grandfather and his daughter Jemima my grandmother. This branch of the family still lived in the Brymbo area until the 1960’s when the surname died out with the last of the siblings.