Author Topic: annuitant  (Read 7145 times)

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
annuitant
« on: Friday 27 October 06 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hello,
        I have a girl, she is the niece of the family she is living with, she's not a lodger or a boarder,she's an "annuitant",  ???  could someone explain.  thanks. Oonagh.
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
Re: annuitant
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 October 06 11:31 BST (UK) »
She's living on an annuity - typically the unearned income generated by a fund of money.

HTH

Stovepipe
Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 October 06 11:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Stovepipe,
                           mmmmm, I'm assuming then,her parents must have left her enough money for her to get by on,interesting!!!!   thanks again.
                                                   Oonagh.
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline tawny75

• RootsChat Member
  • No one told me genealogy was so addictive
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 October 06 14:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you for asking this, I have an elderly woman who is the same occupation
Batson - Whitchurch, Hardwick- Buckinghamshire
Dickens - Whitchurch, Buckinghamshire<br />Hogston - Dunton, Whitchurch- Buckinghamshire<br />Blowfield, Whitchurch - Buckinghamshire<br />Smith - Buckingham <br />Dwight - Chesham, Whitchurch - Buckinghamshire<br />Marks - Great Horwood

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 October 06 15:10 BST (UK) »
It's probable that she was the beneficiary of a will - i.e. someone has left some money in trust for her benefit. This is good because you should be able to get a copy of the will.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 October 06 15:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for repyling RT,
                                    It struck me as strange, working class people don't usually have that sort of money!
 could you tell me where on line (if there is an on line),I could look a will up.
Hi Tawney,it is intriguing is'nt it?
                    Thanks for the addintional info RT.Oonagh.

Offline tawny75

• RootsChat Member
  • No one told me genealogy was so addictive
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 October 06 15:35 BST (UK) »
It is very interesting...

Mine is my GGG Grandmother, Mary Smith, she is listed on the 1881 census as living with her son Thomas in Kislingbury Northants,  she was 82.

I would be interested to know how I can search Wills as well
Batson - Whitchurch, Hardwick- Buckinghamshire
Dickens - Whitchurch, Buckinghamshire<br />Hogston - Dunton, Whitchurch- Buckinghamshire<br />Blowfield, Whitchurch - Buckinghamshire<br />Smith - Buckingham <br />Dwight - Chesham, Whitchurch - Buckinghamshire<br />Marks - Great Horwood

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 October 06 15:38 BST (UK) »
For 1858 onwards see this advice from the Probate Registry http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm on how to obtain a copy of a will.

For pre-1858 proven wills see this advice from National Archives http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/rdleaflet.asp?sLeafletURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Enationalarchives%2Egov%2Euk%2Fcatalogue%2Fleaflets%2Fri2302%2Ehtm&lBack=-1 and it's worth searching the online PCC wills also on the National Archives site at
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/browse-refine.asp?CatID=6&searchType=browserefine&pagenumber=1&query=*&queryType=1
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 October 06 15:48 BST (UK) »
Prior to 1858 looking for Wills depends on in which diocese they owned property.  If it was only in the local parish then look in the appropriate record office.  Be aware that parishes belonged to strange diocese in the middle of the 19th century and may not be the same as today.  The wills are usually with the original diocese.

If property was in more than one parish the rules are as follows.

Same diocese as above.
All in north of England -  York
All in south of England or all over England - Canturbury which actually means London.  The good news about this last set is that they are in the National Archives, available online and down loadable at £3.50 a time.  It is worth checking the index for these which is free.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk