Author Topic: 1889 newspaper look up please, Middlesbrough.  (Read 3165 times)

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1889 newspaper look up please, Middlesbrough.
« on: Saturday 28 October 06 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I recieved a death certificate today for one of my great x lots grandfathers, John Thomas.  He died on September 27th 1889 aged about 52 at Eston hospital as a result of injury accidentally recieved at Eston Steel Works, Grangetown.  An inquest was held on the same day and he was buried at Eston Cemetery on September 29th 1889.

Would this accident have been reported in the Evening Gazette?  I would love to know what exactly happened to John, was he the only one fatally injured? Were there others? What happened to cause the accident?  Would his widow have recieved compensation?

I am in Sussex so cannot easily get up to North Yorks to investigate for myself, if anyone is planning a trip to the archives would they be able to have a little look for me please. 

TIA
Legs
xxxx
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
NFK-Burton,Myhill,Fisher,Thompson
LNRK-Neilson,Dudson,Forrest,McNight,Paterson
WL-Williams

Offline Nannawilk

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1889 newspaper look up please, Middlesbrough.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 October 06 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Legs

If you Google Evening Gazette Library Archives there is a link to the site where you can either e-mail or phone for the information you are seeking

Cheers

Gina

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 October 06 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Gina,

I did find the Gazette website via google but couldn't find an email address or anything family tree orientated.  I'll try again with the more specifice google you recommended.

Thnk you again

Legs
xxxx
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
WL-Williams

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 October 06 11:21 GMT (UK) »
I've tried searching with a more specific google, I found a page saying they Gazette was available from 1885 onwards but I cannot find an email/phone number anywhere......argh

Legs
xxxx
WL-Williams

Offline Nannawilk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 October 06 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Legs

Don't know if I can put e-mail addresses on here but I'll try

paul.delplanque@eveninggazette.co.uk

telephone 01642 234239

Cheers

Gina

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 October 06 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Gina,

I must have been looking in the wrong place!

Legs
xxxx
WL-Williams

Offline ohWhatNow

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 September 17 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I recieved a death certificate today for one of my great x lots grandfathers, John Thomas.  He died on September 27th 1889 aged about 52 at Eston hospital as a result of injury accidentally recieved at Eston Steel Works, Grangetown.  An inquest was held on the same day and he was buried at Eston Cemetery on September 29th 1889.

Would this accident have been reported in the Evening Gazette?  I would love to know what exactly happened to John, was he the only one fatally injured? Were there others? What happened to cause the accident?  Would his widow have recieved compensation?

I am in Sussex so cannot easily get up to North Yorks to investigate for myself, if anyone is planning a trip to the archives would they be able to have a little look for me please. 

TIA
Legs
xxxx

Hi Legs,

John was my 3rd great-grandfather. I don't know if you ever found them, but there are accident reports from the time.

Pauline,
Oxford.

Offline Mike Guess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 March 19 16:06 BST (UK) »
the incident is in the North Eastern Daily Gazette. September 27, 1889

I have transcribed the article below :-

Early this morning a man named John Thomas (52) died at Eston Hospital from injuries received on the 25th August. Deceased was employed as a slinger at one of the overhead cranes at Eston Steel Works. About 7PM on the 25th of last month he was going to hang the chains on the crane blocks at one of the casting pits, when he fell, his head striking a piece of iron, and a bad wound being caused. It is supposed that the deceased had a fit as he had complained of being unwell just before. He lingered until this morning. "
Spenceley, Guess